Do you take everyone that contacts you?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya know, I've been thinking about those innkeepers who gave Joseph and Mary the stable. I mean, here they are, in the peak of their busiest season ever, every room booked for a month, and here come this impoverished couple and the wife's due any minute. It seems to me they were very accommodating!
Likewise the innkeeper in the parable of the Good Samaritan. Here comes a regular customer and with him he's got this beat up, bruised and bloody, almost naked guy in tow whom he proposes to leave behind as he goes off on his regular beat. Once again, no credit for the innkeeper who took him in!
=)
Kk..
You are right!! We innkeepers need to picket and demand more respect and understanding for taking in weary travelers!

What a nice bunch of people you are! It does my heart good to read your comments. You are certainly in the right business and truly have the gift of hospitality.

I also thought smokers, kids, etc.
Basically it is like this: a B & B is a business. One opens a business to make money. I do not know any gas station in the country that provides gas only to Chevys or only to Fords or no Toyotas allowed. It is not our place to judge - Christian or non-believer alike - That belongs to HE who is perfect and that certainly is not evil little me! I know many people the "Church" (pick a brand) would frown on who are better people and better "Christians" than many of the #$#$%^& "pillars of the church". If I ever find out which of those stalwarts is responsible for running the best pastor I ever knew out of the church here, I will forget my not-for-me-to-judge stance, the freaking hypocrites!
To put this on the Christian perspective, we are told that on a dark December night, there was no room at the inn but a stable stall was deemed "good enough". As long as there is an empty bed in my inn, there is room at the inn for whomever. And I have been known to provide a room to a weary traveler having problems (and I am not talking at regular rate and sometimes it has been a thank you).
I believe tha we are put on this Earth for a reason, and many times have been made to feel that my reason is to meet people. I am surprised at how many have told me I have helped them - because all I did was converse and trust me, spouting religion is not my thing. My Pappy always said there is nothing worse than a reformed drunk except a reformed drunk who got relgion! (He was talking about his brother!)
Not meaning to get on a religion thing here. Just trying to explain what an innkeeper's place is - supplier of sleeping accommodations, not morality cop. We only ask name address, phone, credit card number. I do not care if they are black, white, green, or blue, gay, straight, or or crooked. As JBJ says,"They stay, they pay, they go away!".
On that December night, there was no room at the inn, because they showed up in the middle of the night, without a reservation and expected maternity ward services! We'd all have thrown them out to the haybarn too!
tounge_smile.gif

we state on our website that "pets and children are not suitable to our B&B" Most couples staying here have children, and come to our B&B for a romantic weekend.

I also thought smokers, kids, etc.
Basically it is like this: a B & B is a business. One opens a business to make money. I do not know any gas station in the country that provides gas only to Chevys or only to Fords or no Toyotas allowed. It is not our place to judge - Christian or non-believer alike - That belongs to HE who is perfect and that certainly is not evil little me! I know many people the "Church" (pick a brand) would frown on who are better people and better "Christians" than many of the #$#$%^& "pillars of the church". If I ever find out which of those stalwarts is responsible for running the best pastor I ever knew out of the church here, I will forget my not-for-me-to-judge stance, the freaking hypocrites!
To put this on the Christian perspective, we are told that on a dark December night, there was no room at the inn but a stable stall was deemed "good enough". As long as there is an empty bed in my inn, there is room at the inn for whomever. And I have been known to provide a room to a weary traveler having problems (and I am not talking at regular rate and sometimes it has been a thank you).
I believe tha we are put on this Earth for a reason, and many times have been made to feel that my reason is to meet people. I am surprised at how many have told me I have helped them - because all I did was converse and trust me, spouting religion is not my thing. My Pappy always said there is nothing worse than a reformed drunk except a reformed drunk who got relgion! (He was talking about his brother!)
Not meaning to get on a religion thing here. Just trying to explain what an innkeeper's place is - supplier of sleeping accommodations, not morality cop. We only ask name address, phone, credit card number. I do not care if they are black, white, green, or blue, gay, straight, or or crooked. As JBJ says,"They stay, they pay, they go away!".
On that December night, there was no room at the inn, because they showed up in the middle of the night, without a reservation and expected maternity ward services! We'd all have thrown them out to the haybarn too!
tounge_smile.gif

I love the sense of humor of the folks on this Blorum! Dang! we are a good group!

What a nice bunch of people you are! It does my heart good to read your comments. You are certainly in the right business and truly have the gift of hospitality..
Thanks Marcia, and welcome to innspiring.com

When I made the comments about not wanting to take unmarried couples I expected to take a lot of flack. I was pleasantly surprised the you all answered the question without condemning me for asking. Thanks I am just trying to learn and express my feeling honestly.
A B&B may not be what we want to do, but we will probably try for a while. Maybe the first of the year.

When I made the comments about not wanting to take unmarried couples I expected to take a lot of flack. I was pleasantly surprised the you all answered the question without condemning me for asking. Thanks I am just trying to learn and express my feeling honestly.
A B&B may not be what we want to do, but we will probably try for a while. Maybe the first of the year..
Just ask away. Some of us may get a bit huffy and some a bit puffy, but we answer civilly - most of the time! Seriously, how can you know if you do not ask. We truly want to help - and sometimes that help convinces that this is not what I want to do. That is good in that the person does not make the mistake of spending a lot of money only to discover that is not what I thought it would be. Sometimes we are able to reinforce the desire to do B & B. This is a learning place and we ALL learn from it.

A B&B may not be what we want to do, but we will probably try for a while. Maybe the first of the year..
i think bree has the right idea. advertise on the christian sites .... as that is who you hope to attract. just as there are websites advertising gay friendly accommodations ... and those looking for green buildings, whole foods, etc. there is a place up here in maine that caters to religious retreats, things like that.
as to lifetyle choices, surely you have met people who PROFESS to live one way but who do not. it will be very difficult, really i'd say impossible, to know what is in your guests' hearts. if someone wants to stay with you, maybe they will simply tell you what you want to hear.
best of luck.

Good advice, thanks. And I know most people come a little short of the mark. Well except you and I. lol

Good advice, thanks. And I know most people come a little short of the mark. Well except you and I. lol.
Geandma always said (in the days when words meant what the dictionary of Noah Webster said): All is queer but me and thee and sometimes I think thee a bit queer.

Here is a layout of our property.
http://www.waskomtexas.com/waskom_garden/room_layout.html
I just rendered a quick image in a 3D modeling program that I use. The area that is Orange is the area that we will rent out. Our guests will also have excess to a garden & gazebo that I will be building. Also our property has a common border with the city park and they will also be able to use the park.
As far as the rules, I know that we will not allow pets. After 25 years in the rental business we know the two most destructive things on the planet are dogs and teenage boys. We do plan to allow people to bring their kids. The living room has a hid-a-bed so kids could sleep on it. Also two couples could rent our property. We would limit it to two couples or a family of no more than 5.
The thing that bothers me the most is moral issues. We are Christian people and do not want to have some guy with his "shack-up-honey" for the night. In the rental business we found that we would just ask, "how many are in your family" and they had no shame, they would tell us that it was "me and my girl/boy friend". We would tell them that we do not rent to unmarried couples. We were able to do that because that kind of a business deal had too many risks. In a B&B it's, in most cases a "one night stand" anyway so we can not use that reason.
I know we can not set the moral standards for the world, but we will set them in our property. Or not do the B&B at all..
Rolacoy said:
The thing that bothers me the most is moral issues. We are Christian people and do not want to have some guy with his "shack-up-honey" for the night. In the rental business we found that we would just ask, "how many are in your family" and they had no shame, they would tell us that it was "me and my girl/boy friend". We would tell them that we do not rent to unmarried couples. We were able to do that because that kind of a business deal had too many risks. In a B&B it's, in most cases a "one night stand" anyway so we can not use that reason.
I know we can not set the moral standards for the world, but we will set them in our property. Or not do the B&B at all.
If you want to do the B&B but you want to have only guests who are like-minded, then you get on the Christian B&B websites and into Christian networks. You make it abundantly clear on your own website that you are a Christian family. I can guarantee that folks like myself would steer clear of your place if you had Bible quotations or anything like that on your website. If I saw a crucifix over the bed, I'd steer clear. If you had anything like, 'The Good Lord has provided us with...(fill in the blank)' I would steer clear.
You could show a bedside table with a Bible and crucifix. Guests know what to look for when they are booking. Gays know what to look for to avoid places they won't be welcome (and places they will be welcome).
Altho a Bible, etc might not be a big enough clue for some, it will be for most. And the rest you can figure out as you go.

Back