Do you tell guests when you are out of town?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
We have our calendar marked off, since we won't be home, for a weekend getaway.
I have guests who are adamant because they cannot book that weekend, they just have to know what is going on? I mean, activity wise, that they will miss since they can't book a room.
"What is going on over there that weekend?" they want to know.
When some guests ask "How do you ever get away?" I tell them we block off the calendar to accept no bookings and we leave. I am not about to tell someone specifically when we are not home. No rooms available, simply means no rooms available.
shades_smile.gif

Nope. If someone asks why so busy when we are going away I just tell them, 'Gosh, I really don't know.'
I never mention on the phone that we are so bold as to take time off. People get grumpy about that because you're messing up THEIR plans.

You can also tell them that it's none of their damn business. How cheeky!
I got a call yesterday. Someone was wanting a room for this Friday and Saturday nights. I told them that we were full Thursday and Friday, and only had one room available for Saturday night. "But we want Friday and Saturday" she said.
"I'm sorry, but we have no availability on Friday" "Are you sure?" "Yes, I'm pretty sure." "OK then, I'll take Saturday"
What are you going to do? They want what they want when they want it.

Nope, would never advertise that the house would be empty. I just tell them it's a busy weekend, they should have booked earlier! Get cheeky right back with 'em.
ETA: SO HAPPY you're getting a weekend away!

And I won't say "We're full that weekend/those dates". Then, they want to be put on a waiting list. I just say "I'm sorry, I have no rooms available for those dates, but let me check availability for some other nearby Inns."

I never say why I am "booked". I also just block all rooms when we go away or when - as in this week Thurs thru Monday - our daughter is coming in. Kids come - we are booked.
When we get a call I just say we are booked because we are, WE are booked elsewhere, and I do not explain when asked why (seldom asked) "I have no idea why, I am just happy to be booked".

It is not any of their business. You have nothing available and that is it. If they want to know what is going on they can call the chamber of commerce :)

I don't tell them either... but one thing that you could say is the truth... there's a private event!
wink_smile.gif

I dont tell anyone if I am going away (cos I would love to be burgled while I am on holiday) I close out the calendar but if people ring and ask I would say sorry we are full already should have booked earlier. For this week just passed where we were closed for renovations and we couldnt have anyone in due to health and safety. I love health and safety you can use it as an excuse for anything as no one really understands it. I just say "I'd let you but we are not allowed under health and safety" LOL

Back