Do You Tweet? Calling all Tweeters

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
I follow a travel blogger which has a huge following over all forms of social media. He's usually pretty right on with his advice. Today I received an e-mail newsletter discussing alternative forms of lodging besides "hotel/motel". NO mention of b&bs. Gives links to all sorts of sites including couch surfing, monestary stays, farm stays, apartment rentals, home swaps.
If you're a tweeter, give him a tweet encouraging him to include b&bs into hotel/motel alternatives.
matt@Landlopers

Matt
Travel blogger, writer and photographer specializing in luxury adventure travel. Social media strategist and general gadabout. 7 continents and 60+ countries
What a job he has! I should would like to research luxury adventure travel worldwide for a living!!!

Matt
Travel blogger, writer and photographer specializing in luxury adventure travel. Social media strategist and general gadabout. 7 continents and 60+ countries
What a job he has! I should would like to research luxury adventure travel worldwide for a living!!!.
You and me both! He also has a book I bought which give lots of info about budget travel,"How to Travel the World on $50 a Day: Travel Cheaper, Longer, Smarter"
It's a dream of mine to travel around the world for a year. I've made it to many parts of the world, but not for extended periods of time. <sigh>
Hmm...if he's a social media guru, maybe he'll find us here since I put the title of his book in this post. Come join us Matt!

and so I tweeted with a typo...and he liked it. I said something about stuffy cookie cutter hotels, and left off the Y
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

wrong matt! - its this one - @nomadicmatt = we have had the other chap thoroughly confused by B&B tweets!

wrong matt! - its this one - @nomadicmatt = we have had the other chap thoroughly confused by B&B tweets!.
Oh good grief! I'm sorry for the confusion. I'm following 2 Matts who are both full time travel bloggers and didn't realize they were different people! Totally my fault! No wonder the first Matt didn't respond back to my tweet!
You're right Cambs, it's @nomadicmatt
Now I'm off to tweet the right one!

It's painfully obvious I am a novice at this! Question...in twitter do you have to be careful about clicking on links in tweets like you do on a computer? I just got a tweet, followed the link and it was a spam (job site), and when I tried to exit it wanted to click was I sure I wanted to leave in a separate little box. I didn't click anything, but exited my browser. Can a link to a tweet put a virus on my device or computer?

wrong matt! - its this one - @nomadicmatt = we have had the other chap thoroughly confused by B&B tweets!.
Oh good grief! I'm sorry for the confusion. I'm following 2 Matts who are both full time travel bloggers and didn't realize they were different people! Totally my fault! No wonder the first Matt didn't respond back to my tweet!
You're right Cambs, it's @nomadicmatt
Now I'm off to tweet the right one!
He tweeted back to my DH to say why am I getting a whole ton of BB tweets all of a sudden!

It's painfully obvious I am a novice at this! Question...in twitter do you have to be careful about clicking on links in tweets like you do on a computer? I just got a tweet, followed the link and it was a spam (job site), and when I tried to exit it wanted to click was I sure I wanted to leave in a separate little box. I didn't click anything, but exited my browser. Can a link to a tweet put a virus on my device or computer?.
in theory yes - however what is more likely and you have to watch out for is someone you follow gets their account hacked and it sends you a message ie saw this really bad blog about your business you click onto the link and then its trouble - we have had this a few times but it is usually obvious its a scam ie totally out of character for that person or someone who doesn't know you at all so wouldn't bother getting in touch

It's painfully obvious I am a novice at this! Question...in twitter do you have to be careful about clicking on links in tweets like you do on a computer? I just got a tweet, followed the link and it was a spam (job site), and when I tried to exit it wanted to click was I sure I wanted to leave in a separate little box. I didn't click anything, but exited my browser. Can a link to a tweet put a virus on my device or computer?.
It could also be a virus that has been attached to the website unbeknownst to the website or the twitterer. It's really hard to know who to blame except for the real obvious ones like Chamberley mentioned.

Could you post a link to that article/blog/newsletter? There should be a link at the top that says "Can't read, view online" or something like that with a link. That will bring it up in a browser. I was going to send him a tweet last night, but wanted to read his article first. I could not find it on his website.

It seems to be just an e-mail to his e-mail list. I can't find any link that takes me to his site or anywhere online. I've copied it here, but the links didn't copy.
Nomadic Matt
Hey ,

In my last e-mail, one of my listed "mistakes" was not taking advantage of alternative forms of accommodation and breaking out of the hotel/hostel mindset. Today, I wanted to expand on that a little more and list all the various types of accommodation you can take advantage of on the road. If you don't want to stay in a hotel and aren't particularly interested in staying in a dorm room, here are some other options:

Staying With Locals
I've talked about this many times before, but since this method is always good to know, it goes on this list too. One of the best ways to save money on accommodation is by not paying for it. Stay with a local who will give you a free place to rest your head, local information, and someone to hang out with! There are a few websites that make this happen:

Couchsurfing
Global Freeloaders
Hospitality Club
Stay4Free

Home Exchange
This method works best for older travelers who already own a home. Home exchange programs have been around for a long time but are growing in popularity due to good marketing and word-of-mouth. Home exchanges are just like they sound â€" for a set amount of time, you exchange homes with a family from another country.

Most people don't do this because they worry about security -- but remember: the other family trusts you with their home, too. Moreover, websites that facilitate home exchanges usually have various levels of verification and security similar to Couchsurfing. Families talk to each other over phone and e-mail, and there's no commitment if you find that it's not right for you.

For more information on home exchanges, check out:
Home Exchange
Seniors Home Exchange
IHEN
Home for Exchange

House Sitting
If swapping homes isn't your thing, then consider house-sitting as an alternative. In exchange for watching and maintaining someone's home while they are on holiday, you'll get a free place to stay in the area you are visiting.

After signing up for one of these services (most have a sign-up fee), you get access to the database of available houses. Find a place, contact the homeowner, work out an arrangement, sign any documents (it's important to ensure everyone is legally protected and your responsibilities are clearly spelled out), and you're off. House-sitting jobs tend to be best for people who can stay in a destination for at least a couple of weeks, though there are occasionally short-term stints.

You can use these house-sitting sites to find a place:

Mind My House
House Carers
Luxury House Sitting

Apartment Rentals
Apartment rentals and I have a mixed history. I used to hate them as they were too quiet and made me feel too far removed from everything, but over the years I've grown to appreciate them more as I desire a kitchen, calm surroundings, a place to do work, and privacy. They are a nice bridge between a hostel and hotel, though they can get a bit expensive if you are a solo traveler. They are roughly double the cost (if not more) of a hostel dorm room. However, if you are part of a group or a couple and are looking for a respite from the dorms and hordes of travelers but don't want a hotel room, this is your ideal accommodation option. Another reason to use this method? You get a kitchen, allowing you to cook and reduce your food costs.

My favorite rental websites are:
Wimdu
Airbnb
Roomorama

Farm Stays
Want to live on a farm but not work like you would with WWOOFing? Try a farm stay. Farm stays allow you to stay on working farms, learn how a farm works, possibly get involved in the workings of the farm (milk that cow!), and enjoy a number of organized outdoor activities. Facilities range from basic camping to luxury rooms depending on the farm, but in general it's like you're staying at a bed and breakfast. Prices vary widely depending on where you are in the world but generally, expect to pay the price of a budget hotel (so at least $40 USD per night).

Here is a list of resources to find a farm stay:

Farm Stay UK
Farm Stay Accommodation
Farm Stay US
Farm Stay Australia

Monastery Stays
Want something totally off the beaten track? Stay in a monastery. Accommodation in these monasteries is often very spartan, containing no more than a bed and desk, with simple meals prepared by the monks and nuns. Monasteries are very family-friendly and quiet (most also have curfews). While many monasteries cost at least $50 USD a night per person (many have dorms for half that price), most simply ask for donations or are free, making them an amazing budget option too.

Resources for finding a monastery stay:

Monastery Stays Locations
How to Stay in a Monastery
15 great Monastery Stays
Monastery Stays Around the World (CNN)

WWOOFing
Discussed in this informative and detailed post, this program will let you stay on a farm and trade your labor for free accommodation. It's a multi-purpose option: it lets you do something while you are traveling, give back to the community, and save money on room and board. You can use this option even if you have no farm experience and you don't always have to be milking the cow. Many times, the work you are given is simply keeping things clean and organizing supplies!

Like everything when it comes to travel, if you are open and willing to try something a little different, you'll end up being able to not only save money but also experience something a bit more interesting and fun.

Until next time, travel often and travel wide.

Best,
Nomadic Matt

Back