Do you want fries with that .... NO THANK YOU

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ukmaineiac

Reaction score
So .....
Saturday.
  • Guests arriving that don't have the room they should have.
  • DH off to a party because I have check-ins I can't work around
  • Guests that are due to arrive late arrive early
  • Guests that are due to arrive early arrive very late
  • Thunderstorm
  • Direct lightening hit
  • No Power, No .... nothing
  • Go to get my Coleman lamps - every battery is burnt out (despite not being used ... 8 D batteries per lamp)
  • DH arrives home nice and relaxed to a wife barking out orders .....
  • Get lamps going, put "romantic" battery operated candles in all the rooms - just finished last one and .... the lights come back on.
The Fall-Out
  • Anything attached to a phone line is FRIED
  • Modem - fried
  • Router / wifi - fried
  • The TV in the OQ that we chose over a vacation last year - fried
  • The credit card machine - fried
  • An older, good sized TV in a gust room - fried
  • Direct TV - fried
  • The phone system - fried
Will somebody please shoot me.
.... forgot to mention the fire alarm which insists on telling us (VERY LOUDLY) on the hour, every hour that the phone line is down. Yes, we know. No, we can't override it so I have my alarm set every hour at night so I can "reset" the fire alarm for another hour and let the guests sleep.

Just...WOW. I am so sorry to hear this. Is it covered by insurance?

How awful for you! Your experience definitely will put my moaning and groaning today in a different perspective for me.
On a day like today, a good stiff drink in the afternoon might help!

Just...WOW. I am so sorry to hear this. Is it covered by insurance?.
aplogies if I don't repy quickly ..... after much work, the only computer up and running (through a horrible old-fashioned analog line) is mine. Don't get me wrong - I am soooo grateful that I can access SOMETHING.
As for insurance - in theory - YES. But the reality is that our deductible is vile and most of these things can be replaced by our providers .... it's the time frame that is killing me.
Stiff drink - Yes Please. Yesterday (Sunday) we quickly ran out of things that we could solve so "drowned our sorrows". Today is all about "NOW" .... "Why not" .... "HOW MUCH !!!!"

Oh gosh thats awful! its not so much the stuff as all the pain in the arse that it takes to sort it all out! Its one of the reasons I bought wind up torches (about 4) cos you can guarantee that the ruddy things are all out of batteries. Plus these things all always happen in the evening when you can't get at people to get a replacement. At least you are safe though though it is a nightmare it is all fixable one step at a time.

What a mess! I'm so sorry. Nothing can protect against a direct hit like that. How awful.
RIki

"Delays are not denials- keep going, keep your vision clear. Perseverance does wonders."
I just read that so there it is for you...keep on going!

"Delays are not denials- keep going, keep your vision clear. Perseverance does wonders."
I just read that so there it is for you...keep on going! .
heart.gif

Keep on going - it's what I do, but I have to admit that sometimes throwing in the towel seems like the best idea I ever had ..... the problem is, I simply can't do it. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

Oh sweetie. Big hugs. Sending boozy thoughts your way....
You have it much worse than I do .... I've been sending boozy thoughts your way for a while now. Hope they got to you.
UKMaineiac said:
You have it much worse than I do .... I've been sending boozy thoughts your way for a while now. Hope they got to you.
Well. Now THAT explains a lot... ;)

Just...WOW. I am so sorry to hear this. Is it covered by insurance?.
aplogies if I don't repy quickly ..... after much work, the only computer up and running (through a horrible old-fashioned analog line) is mine. Don't get me wrong - I am soooo grateful that I can access SOMETHING.
As for insurance - in theory - YES. But the reality is that our deductible is vile and most of these things can be replaced by our providers .... it's the time frame that is killing me.
Stiff drink - Yes Please. Yesterday (Sunday) we quickly ran out of things that we could solve so "drowned our sorrows". Today is all about "NOW" .... "Why not" .... "HOW MUCH !!!!"
Sorry it happened to you.
Usually the insurance company will not tell you, but you need to pay and replace and give them the receipts or they will pay you less. But unless it's a large amount it may not pay to claim, sometimes it is because they won't pay you very much, sometimes it's the deductible and other times it's simply the jump in premiums.
Anything that was attached to the phone you can usually ask the phone company to replace, since their wires are supposed to be grounded. (They once had to replace $3K worth of equipment after I proved they had forgotten to ground the wires.)
Of course you experience can vary, since laws and responsibility are different from country to country.

How you getting along? getting things replaced? hope you are ok and managing!
help.gif

So TODAY is the longest day of the year, even tho it felt like it when all this happened! :)

help.gif
You're a sweetheart - thanks for asking. We're getting there - it's been very time consuming figuring out what is wrong and why .... is it the socket, the machine, the transformer.
New modem and router in place (#1 priority - life without internet access is simply not possible)
New flat screen TV for the guest room
Satellite guys coming this afternoon to (hopefully) fix and / or replace the dish ... at which point we can make sure all the satellite boxes are still working and the TVs can still receive a signal
TV guys coming tomorrow to see if we can salvage the love of our life (our TV)
Fire alarm / security system guys coming tomorrow to find out why I can't reset the system (almost guarantee that, because it's connected to a phone line something got fried)
Newest problem is that our phone system is Dead Jim. Right now I have all the calls forwarded to my cell phone.
It's one of those things that, as things get fixed, new problems come to light - which is just disheartening - so I'm just trying to methodically deal with everything as it happens ..... and we're expecting a Health Dept visit any day, so I'm trying hard not to let ANYTHING slip below our usual standards.

Oh so sorry things happened the way they did and hope that all is getting better-hugs and good Karma going your way-and yup "that which does not kill us makes us strong" although at the time you just wanted to run out and scream you head off-its okay you can do it-once the guests are gone?
Thinking of you!

help.gif
You're a sweetheart - thanks for asking. We're getting there - it's been very time consuming figuring out what is wrong and why .... is it the socket, the machine, the transformer.
New modem and router in place (#1 priority - life without internet access is simply not possible)
Satellite guys coming this afternoon to (hopefully) fix and / or replace the dish ... at which point we can make sure all the satellite boxes are still working and the TVs can still receive a signal
Fire alarm / security system guys coming tomorrow to find out why I can't reset the system (almost guarantee that, because it's connected to a phone line something got fried)
Newest problem is that our phone system is Dead Jim. Right now I have all the calls forwarded to my cell phone.
It's one of those things that, as things get fixed, new problems come to light - which is just disheartening - so I'm just trying to methodically deal with everything as it happens ..... and we're expecting a Health Dept visit any day, so I'm trying hard not to let ANYTHING slip below our usual standards.
Best wishes for strength to "hold the fort" go to you from here. It is so discouraging to think, "OK, we have found everything and can now go on", only to find something else. Buck up - you have that Brit "stiff upper lip in the face of adversity!" I am truly sorry you are going through this but once it is over, it will be added to that HUGE pile of events called - If you could overcome THAT, we can overcome anything!
Hope most of it is covered by insurance. I sometimes wonder why we bother to have insurance since the "deductibles/fear of rate increase/sorry that isn't covered" answers keep us from using it when we need it.

help.gif
Wow, so sorry to hear this...
We had a direct lightening hit to our house a few years ago & it was a pain in the patoot to replace the things that got fried. The strike came in through our phone line.
sad_smile.gif

One thing we learned was to upgrade the surge protectors on all the electronics.
I hope you get through all this mess quickly!

Back