Do you warn guests if nuts are in a recipe?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After reading all of the responses, I can see that most of us innkeepers are nuts. It came down to about 50/50 on telling people about the nuts. I put a sign out just to be safe. By the way, I made the Grand Mariner French Toast recipe posted on this site and 12 out of 12 guests told me I should make it again. Thanks

After reading all of the responses, I can see that most of us innkeepers are nuts. It came down to about 50/50 on telling people about the nuts. I put a sign out just to be safe. By the way, I made the Grand Mariner French Toast recipe posted on this site and 12 out of 12 guests told me I should make it again. Thanks.
Score!
The more I have thought of this the more I think posting was best - doesn't take but a minute! Today's labels all contain a note if the substance contains or is processed in plants that also process certain (listed) highly allergic substances like nuts. In restaurants there are now notes (tiny print) when items contain nuts ...
We talk about those with allergies that do not mention it to us... some things are more obvious in breakfast foods than others and they just do not think of such at breakfast. A similar example: We took our daughter to a upscale burger joint the other night, each ordering a different style burger & fries. Little did we know the fries would come with paprika sprinkled all over the top and on the plate. She is very allergic to paprika, can't even touch it. We had to send the entire thing back explaining that they could not try to salvage the burger to serve her or she would spend the night in the ER. Usually when she eats out she asks if paprika is in the dish - burger & fries one of the exceptions but not any more!!!

After reading all of the responses, I can see that most of us innkeepers are nuts. It came down to about 50/50 on telling people about the nuts. I put a sign out just to be safe. By the way, I made the Grand Mariner French Toast recipe posted on this site and 12 out of 12 guests told me I should make it again. Thanks.
Score!
The more I have thought of this the more I think posting was best - doesn't take but a minute! Today's labels all contain a note if the substance contains or is processed in plants that also process certain (listed) highly allergic substances like nuts. In restaurants there are now notes (tiny print) when items contain nuts ...
We talk about those with allergies that do not mention it to us... some things are more obvious in breakfast foods than others and they just do not think of such at breakfast. A similar example: We took our daughter to a upscale burger joint the other night, each ordering a different style burger & fries. Little did we know the fries would come with paprika sprinkled all over the top and on the plate. She is very allergic to paprika, can't even touch it. We had to send the entire thing back explaining that they could not try to salvage the burger to serve her or she would spend the night in the ER. Usually when she eats out she asks if paprika is in the dish - burger & fries one of the exceptions but not any more!!!
Thank you, CH, I agree. It doesn't take but a minute to post a note to avoid a problem. We have an innmate who is highly allergic to bell peppers. It can sneak into seasonings. I had a guest who was allergic to onions - highly allergic- and mentioned it in passing at the breakfast table. The seasoning that I use for rosemary garlic potatoes has hydrogenated onion in it and he would have been in the ER! He just didn't think that the "usual" breakfast would have onions. No problem, I quickly made him some plain potatoes in a different pan. I don't want someone to go to the ER from eating my cooking.

Score!
We both have family members with severe food allergies (eggs & shellfish) and they both ask when they're eating certain items if they contain any of those things. However, one of them asked one day and the server asked in the kitchen and was assured there was no shellfish in a seafood dish and relative ended up on the floor gasping for air as his body started to fight off the shellfish. Seems whoever was asked in the kitchen didn't understand what exactly 'shellfish' meant and had assumed it only meant clams, not shrimp.

I would put out a sign if it was something that would not normally have nuts in to make people super aware.

Back