Do you warn guests if nuts are in a recipe?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbid

Reaction score
Tomorrow, I am trying a french toast recipe on this site that has pecans in it . I have never served nuts here before. It is a buffet so I might not talk to everyone as they get food. Is this an issue I should worry about?

I serve nuts in things all the time unless the guest informs me of a nut allergy. If you're concerned, you might want to print up a little sign to place in front of the french toast dish that says "French Toast Contains Pecans". I do this in front of my cookie jar when I know there is someone with a nut allergy. I tell them, but with the note, there's no room for error.

YES! Put a card at this dish stating contains nuts and be specific as to what kind of nut. Many people have nut allergies and I find that many with allergies are so accustomed to avoiding it (as in not using at home) that they forget to tell us.
I specifically ASK when taking a reservation about dietary restrictions & requirements and allergies. One woman who said there were none did not eat the pumpkin chocolate chip muffins and pushed the bread pudding around on her plate so I asked if there was a problem with the food. The response was "I cannot have cinnamon." And then there was the Dad who neglected to tell me until during a status phone call on arrival day (they had truck problems and gave update calls enroute) that one of the kids was gluten-free and it wasn't until they arived that he thought to tell me that kid also could not have eggs or peanut butter. The family got the gluten-free peanut butter muffins I had made that day to get ahead of the project and the kid got oatmeal. I had planned eggs as something everyone could have - right!
Do not take chances. Mark it as having nuts.

Yes, you should let guests know. I have those write on/erasable ceramic place cards that I put out to let guests know what is in anything on the buffet. (A very simple tent card from a piece of heavy card stock will work in a pinch.)

We serve nuts all the time and I've never announced it per se...if someone has a nut allergy they let us know when they make their reservation. If you have a little sign for the buffet I would put it on there.

Do you ask your guests about food allergies on arrival? If you do and each stated none, then you should be good to go... If you do not ask, or it is just stated in your confirmation letter or reservation form I would post it.
Better safe than sorry!!!

Lots of comments about 'guests should have told you' but lots of guests think 'breakfast' is coffee and a cigarette. They never think to tell us they can't eat things we think are normal breakfast foods.
Repeat guest the other day is now allergic to melon and strawberries. Did she mention it? No. How did I know? i saw her giving all her fruit to her husband and I asked. She didn't want to be a bother.
Some nut allergies are tree nuts only. Stuff them full of peanuts, they don't care. Tree nuts will kill them. Vice versa.

Never.
We ask about allergies in advance and if they don't say anything then they know what they can and cannot eat and are big boys and girls.
cry_smile.gif

Says the innkeeper who served pecan pancakes with bacon just this morning. (Unless you are hiding it in something, like putting peanuts in a cinnamon roll instead of walnuts or pecans, so a guest has only a peanut allergy thinks nothing of eating a cinnamon roll/sticky bun)
You are not their mama and your are not their dietition. They have lived this long...anyone with an allergy knows they look out for their own allergies.

No. I ask a general question on my res form or res calls "anything you are allergic to or don't eat" - these people are adults if I wanted to have to babysit I would run a creche and not a B&B, adults should have the sense to notify us .. next thing we'll be putting out warnings
The faucet with the red dot is hot water
Feather pillows
Sweetners may cause cancer

No. I ask a general question on my res form or res calls "anything you are allergic to or don't eat" - these people are adults if I wanted to have to babysit I would run a creche and not a B&B, adults should have the sense to notify us .. next thing we'll be putting out warnings
Feather pillows
Sweetners may cause cancer.
I DO post my Harris Room as a feather-free room. I have had people on check-in when being given the tour do a fast room change when they hear I have a feather-free room.

Lots of comments about 'guests should have told you' but lots of guests think 'breakfast' is coffee and a cigarette. They never think to tell us they can't eat things we think are normal breakfast foods.
Repeat guest the other day is now allergic to melon and strawberries. Did she mention it? No. How did I know? i saw her giving all her fruit to her husband and I asked. She didn't want to be a bother.
Some nut allergies are tree nuts only. Stuff them full of peanuts, they don't care. Tree nuts will kill them. Vice versa..
Alibi Ike said:
...lots of guests think 'breakfast' is coffee and a cigarette.
I think you've just given me my new marketing campaign...think of all the money I'll save on fresh produce alone!!!!!

Feather pillows
Sweetners may cause cancer.
I DO post my Harris Room as a feather-free room. I have had people on check-in when being given the tour do a fast room change when they hear I have a feather-free room.
gillumhouse said:
We have requests to remove all down products from the rooms.

I am of the opinion as JB. If you asked previously about food allergies and they didn't tell you..it is their fault...not yours. You are not a mind reader and you have a thousand other things to do besides put food alert message out for everything you serve. They are adults..they are responsible for themselves.

I think I mentioned a guest last week, it was wonderful, she said AT THE TABLE to the other guests "I have so many allergies, I don't bother to mention any of them and stress people out, I just eat what I can eat!" I hugged her, YES I REALLY DID! I said "You have so much common sense it is not even funny! Thank you!"

Since you are serving a buffet breakfast, I would also put a card mentioning the nuts. Lots of people don't think that nuts will be served with breakfast foods

No I don't warn guests. Nut allergies can be so serious that I would expect guests to warn me up-front. This has happened and I've told them that their breakfast, turn-down treats etc will be nut free BUT I don't operate a nut-free kitchen.
HOWEVER - doing a buffet is something I don't do. If I did, I would probably re-think that one (especially if, as someone else said, there are "hidden" nuts").
..... OK - having read Don Draper's associated post before I wrote this, I now can't stop laughing thinking about "operating a nut-free house" .... "worrying about hidden nuts" .... promising a "nut-free breakfast and turn-down" but not being able to promise they won't find nuts through-out the inn ....
All I can say in response is that you may be allergic to the food nut or the person nut. I can do my best to keep you away from both, but I really can't guarantee complete avoidance of either.

Since you are serving a buffet breakfast, I would also put a card mentioning the nuts. Lots of people don't think that nuts will be served with breakfast foods.
I disagree...have you ever been to a buffet that posts such a sign? I don't think so. We are adults and we are responsible for ourselves. Of course there are nuts at breakfast..including some who are sometimes sitting at the table :)

Tipsy another great tshirt idea, "Be warned: There are nuts in this kitchen!" I love it!

Since you are serving a buffet breakfast, I would also put a card mentioning the nuts. Lots of people don't think that nuts will be served with breakfast foods.
I disagree...have you ever been to a buffet that posts such a sign? I don't think so. We are adults and we are responsible for ourselves. Of course there are nuts at breakfast..including some who are sometimes sitting at the table :)
catlady said:
I have never been to a boo fay that said "There's nuts in this dish" it just says what it is.
I was at our fave chinese last night, the best, anyone ever in the area let me tell you where it is. Piping hot, always fresh, always flavorful and delicious. I remember once a staff member put the wrong dish where the tofu and veg was and this man casued up this really ugly stink, I think everyone in the restaurant just felt like saying as he belittled the staff "Did that Seszuan beef look like bloated disgusting tofu you idiot?"
chef.gif

Yes, actually most all of the nice buffets that I've enjoyed have all of the dishes on the buffet appropriately labeled.

Back