Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for homefries ?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
The criteria is that they come out great everytime and that can be done in a large cast iron skillet? Thanks in advance!

OK, I hate to do this because it's NOT exactly what you're asking for, but it can be adapted. We bake the homefries the night before and 'finish' them in the skillet. Gomez loves the McCormick 'packs' of seasonings. Pick your flavor and blend with potatoes & olive oil.
I use olive oil, rosemary, sea salt & pepper when I do them. Same thing, tho, in the oven and finish on the stove.
How we do that is we have the home fries in a container and we just fry up enough for each serving so they don't 'sit' after being fried. (It's not one seating here.)
Don't know if that helped, but it's those seasoning packs that make them come out tasting pretty much the same everytime.

OK...um....what kind of potatoes do you use and what size to you cut them to? How long in the oven and at what temp?

OK...um....what kind of potatoes do you use and what size to you cut them to? How long in the oven and at what temp?.
I like the flavor of Yukon Gold. The directions are on the pkg, if you use that. When I do them myself, I just cut up enough for us for dinner. 1 potato/person, but I'd do less for breakfast. Cut into 3/4" cubes give or take. Toss with enough olive oil to coat or else they're soggy. 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until they're almost done, turn once. Finish them in a little butter & olive oil on the stove. Gives them that nice crispy coat that I like.
Sorry, I know this isn't exactly a recipe because when I do them from scratch they don't come out the same everytime. Which is why I suggested the packaged mix. My measurements for doing them for us are pretty much whatever looks good to me at the time.
Hopefully someone else has exact measurements.

YUP here is mine.
I don't even peel the potatoes and cut them small enough but not too tiny I par-boil them the night before for however many guests I have, usually one potato per guest. Put them in the fridge.
Next morning fill my cast iron skillet half way with oil (whatever kind you want, I use veg oil) get it nice and hot and put batches of cut up potatoes in the skillet making sure not to crowd them, they need swimming room brown them slowly, strain them with a sieve making sure you lightly salt and pepper them and put them in a warm oven. Repeat with the rest of potatoes. They are good in the oven for about 1/2 hour or so after this they become really soft. You can add chopped onions if you like towards the end. (Secret ingredient:Adobo sprinkled on them instead of salt if available)
Guests always loved them.

ooh i knew I shouldn't have read this..... my stomach is growling now.
regular_smile.gif

YUP here is mine.
I don't even peel the potatoes and cut them small enough but not too tiny I par-boil them the night before for however many guests I have, usually one potato per guest. Put them in the fridge.
Next morning fill my cast iron skillet half way with oil (whatever kind you want, I use veg oil) get it nice and hot and put batches of cut up potatoes in the skillet making sure not to crowd them, they need swimming room brown them slowly, strain them with a sieve making sure you lightly salt and pepper them and put them in a warm oven. Repeat with the rest of potatoes. They are good in the oven for about 1/2 hour or so after this they become really soft. You can add chopped onions if you like towards the end. (Secret ingredient:Adobo sprinkled on them instead of salt if available)
Guests always loved them..
birdwatcher said:
YUP here is mine.
Oooh and I have Adobo on hand too! I will try this. Thanks everyone!

YUP here is mine.
Which Adobo are you using? I looked it up and there are something like 6 different flavors. Which one is working so well with potatoes?
RIki

YUP here is mine.
birdwatcher said:
YUP here is mine.
The Farmers Daughter said:
birdwatcher said:
YUP here is mine.
Those are by far the best homefries I ever made. I ate half the pan before I served the guests. Good thing I made extras.
The Adobo ROCKS!!!

YUP here is mine.
Which Adobo are you using? I looked it up and there are something like 6 different flavors. Which one is working so well with potatoes?
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
I used the Trader's Choice brand of Adobo Seasoning. Ingredients are salt, garlic, black pepper, oregano, tumeric & cumin.

Peel and cut Russets to half to three quarter inch cubes. One med potato per guest, more or less depending on appetites.
Put cut potatoes in glass dish, cover with plastic wrap. Microwave 7 to 9 min, depending on your microwave, and amount to serve. I use 9 minutes here.
Heat skillet or griddle to 400, use olive oil, or oil of your choice. The potatoes have already been cooked in the microwave. The skillet/griddle step is to crisp and brown (add herbs or spices of your choice when you add the potatoes to the skillet).
These can hold a minute or two while toast is being buttered, or eggs are finishing up.
Alway done. Always right. Always crispy and golden. Yum.

YUP here is mine.
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
I used the Trader's Choice brand of Adobo Seasoning. Ingredients are salt, garlic, black pepper, oregano, tumeric & cumin.
The Farmers Daughter said:
egoodell said:
RIki
Thanks! I'll check it out!
RIki

I really use any kind of potato and Adobo. It just makes for a wonderful homefries. Glad you and your guests enjoyed them...I love them.

Back