Does anyone here have a guest Ranch or a Bed Barn and Breakfast?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
My formal background is in Equine Sciences and I have always wanted to do a guest ranch. I decided to start small with just a B & B (now in year 10 of our 5 year plan) to see if I had the temperment to do it, before going larger. Now with the ecomony it will still be on the back burner, but I wanted to hear from anyone with experience in the Guest Ranch department. Pros/Cons .... anything you can share. Thanks!

I do not have a guest ranch but I do have a nice market with overnight stabling. Are you in a location where people travel with horses? I am in an Interstate corridor with few stabling options. I get a nice traffic in overnight stabling with Canadians and East Coast horse people between there and Kentucky and/or the Carolinas or Florida - especially in the winter. I also have a rail-trail that allows equestrian use and get trail riders.
If you cannot do a guest ranch yet, why not build up a following (and a reputation for nice facilities) in the horse community with the overnight.

I do not have a guest ranch but I do have a nice market with overnight stabling. Are you in a location where people travel with horses? I am in an Interstate corridor with few stabling options. I get a nice traffic in overnight stabling with Canadians and East Coast horse people between there and Kentucky and/or the Carolinas or Florida - especially in the winter. I also have a rail-trail that allows equestrian use and get trail riders.
If you cannot do a guest ranch yet, why not build up a following (and a reputation for nice facilities) in the horse community with the overnight..
Yes I have done that. I am fortuate to be in the heart of the East Coast Show/training curcuit. I am within 10 mins drive of some top Olympic caliber riders/trainers. We offer a discount to those coming to the area for clinics or other equestrian based events. I am in town, so obviously have no facilities for boarding where I am, but in such a small niche as the local horse world, we all know each other.

If you cannot do a guest ranch yet, why not build up a following (and a reputation for nice facilities) in the horse community with the overnight..
Yes I have done that. I am fortuate to be in the heart of the East Coast Show/training curcuit. I am within 10 mins drive of some top Olympic caliber riders/trainers. We offer a discount to those coming to the area for clinics or other equestrian based events. I am in town, so obviously have no facilities for boarding where I am, but in such a small niche as the local horse world, we all know each other.
I do not have a stable either as I am also in town. I have an arrangement with a farm 2.5 miles from the house - horses go there and the people come here - no me, no stable.

Will your rooms be in a central structure such as an inn or in separate cabins/cottages?

Right now, I have both. But in town. If I had my druthers, I would do a guest ranch in Wyoming....that would be my dream anyway.

Right now, I have both. But in town. If I had my druthers, I would do a guest ranch in Wyoming....that would be my dream anyway..
The Farmers Daughter said:
Right now, I have both. But in town. If I had my druthers, I would do a guest ranch in Wyoming....that would be my dream anyway.
We have separate cottages some distance from the main house. Separate guests houses can be a challenge.
You will want to invest in a UTV or golf cart to run back and forth. We have a Polaris Ranger that is our mainstay. I don't think you can have acreage without a small utility vehicle of some sort. You might consider having a utility area near or attached to the cottages with a washer and dryer and for linens and cleaning storage. That's what we have. It saves a lot of steps.
Our guests have commented positively on the increased privacy.

Thanks guys...Its a dream down the road. I still need to figure out logistics and (Yikes) Insurance!!!
453508.gif

Horses and greenhorns are a bad (and expensive) combination. However since the bottom has fallen out of the horse market. Quality, affordable horses are more available than ever!

There is a lovely little B&B and Farm not too far from us and in fact this is where I recommend guests go for a moonlight trail ride. Now this is a horse farm and after we went on trail ride I went to TA to write them a nice review.
They are super busy with their equitainment and also training students there from VA Tech Vet School. I couldn't believe the horrible reviews such as "Smelled of manure all over the property" ya think? They have like 200 horses there! Most of them rescues and they take beautiful care of them, they are not nose to tail - hang on - hold on - I am about to scream here - -
- - here come the Brits with their 200 kilo rolling luggage over the porch decking DH has been laboring over and replacing all year....arrggghhhhhhhhh! Four of them, with three bags a piece...the reason our porch decking had the crap beat out of it in the first place.....arrgggggggggghhhhh!
Okay okay if it is too heavy to carry up the stairs there is something wrong...boom boom boom and NO I AM NOT RUNNING OUT AND ASKING FULL GROWN MEN IF I CAN CARRY THEY LUGGAGE FOR THEM. This is why, I could never have a B&B in a house I grew up in, or such, as people assume here all the time.
Okay - ignore that - another comment was about dogs running up to their car at this farm. Again HORSE FARM, they have it all over their website, it is not a secret. The dogs just adopted them and moved onto their land.
So whatever you do - if you have non horse people there as well as conditioned riders you will hear about it. I would love to stay at a Barn & Breakfast, I think it is a cool idea! I think it would be unfare to not allow kids over a certain age tho, I can picture a baby farm animal scene they would love!

Back