Quantcast

Does anyone here winter over impatients?

INNspiring.com | Innkeeper Forum & Innkeeping Resources

Help Support INNspiring.com | Innkeeper Forum & Innkeeping Resources:

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
I had a riot of impatients last year and many droped seed pods throughout the gardens. Can anyone explain to me what impatient seedlings look like so I don't pull them out by mistake? Thank you!

Morticia

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
OK, I know my spelling has gone to heck lately, but I had to laugh when I saw this as I thought maybe you were trying to over winter your loony (impatient) guests.
Can't help with the actual plants, tho.

Emily Spiers

Reaction score
They actually come up a darker green than weeds do. I know that sounds vague, but the stalk is more smooth and straw-like (drinking straw, not bedding straw). The leaves are shiny. The ones I've had are just very obvious when compared to a known weed; especially if you know the area where the seed pods dropped.

gillumhouse

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually got my chives to live through the winter in a pot in the house (BIG pot). I had fresh chives for the egg bakes I was not getting to make - no guests in Jan & very few in Feb.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! *hugs*
I will try to pay attention to the differences. When they are tiny (flowers and weeds) sometimes its hard to tell them apart.

Country Girl

Reaction score
I've never had luck with them coming back. Here in the Northeast they are annuals.

Highlands John

Reaction score
I've never managed to grow impatiens from seed, even when I've bought packets.