Does anyone here winter over impatients?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
I had a riot of impatients last year and many droped seed pods throughout the gardens. Can anyone explain to me what impatient seedlings look like so I don't pull them out by mistake? Thank you!

OK, I know my spelling has gone to heck lately, but I had to laugh when I saw this as I thought maybe you were trying to over winter your loony (impatient) guests.
Can't help with the actual plants, tho.

They actually come up a darker green than weeds do. I know that sounds vague, but the stalk is more smooth and straw-like (drinking straw, not bedding straw). The leaves are shiny. The ones I've had are just very obvious when compared to a known weed; especially if you know the area where the seed pods dropped.

I actually got my chives to live through the winter in a pot in the house (BIG pot). I had fresh chives for the egg bakes I was not getting to make - no guests in Jan & very few in Feb.

I found this picture when I googled it:
Impatiens-2-27-08.jpg

Thanks everyone! *hugs*
I will try to pay attention to the differences. When they are tiny (flowers and weeds) sometimes its hard to tell them apart.

I've never had luck with them coming back. Here in the Northeast they are annuals.

Back