Does Maple Syrup Freeze?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I am the odd ball, I can't stand the taste of "real" maple syrup...it's way too sweet. I've only ever had it from the New England area, maybe the taste is better elsewhere..
You should try the grade 'b' stuff; it's a little less refined and a little less sweet, in my opinion. It's darker in color but a lot of people prefer it to the grade 'a'.
muirford said:
You should try the grade 'b' stuff; it's a little less refined and a little less sweet, in my opinion. It's darker in color but a lot of people prefer it to the grade 'a'.
I never think to look, I am sure it says right on the bottles when I buy them. Speaking of darker, and molasses...good segway, aye... Your author Robert Morgan wrote in the book I adore "This Rock" which is all about a family esp two brothers in rural Appalachia - in the North Carolina Hills and the family who, amongst other things, years ago, made molasses, like most families did.
The story details how dangerous it was to make molasses (from sorghum cane brought to these mountains from African slaves)[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]. I had NO IDEA! Barns were burned, lives lost in the process. It was an important and mostly the only sweetener for them besides honey.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]Recently we went to a farm day where they were making it, I just walked past and didn't realize until later on that was what they were doing. It was such and interesting book![/COLOR]
Here is something:
"How to Make Molasses. In the mountains of Appalachia the art of making molasses is alive and well. Molasses, a thick, dark brown syrup made from sugar cane ..." www.ehow.com/how_2067504_make-molasses.html
And the history behind this and more information: http://www.digitalheritage.org/index.php/heritage-moments/2-featured/37-sorghum
Joey Bloggs said:
muirford said:
I never think to look, I am sure it says right on the bottles when I buy them. Speaking of darker, and molasses...good segway, aye... Your author Robert Morgan wrote in the book I adore "This Rock" which is all about a family esp two brothers in rural Appalachia - in the North Carolina Hills and the family who, amongst other things, years ago, made molasses, like most families did.
The story details how dangerous it was to make molasses (from sorghum cane brought to these mountains from African slaves). I had NO IDEA! Barns were burned, lives lost in the process. It was an important and mostly the only sweetener for them besides honey.
Recently we went to a farm day where they were making it, I just walked past and didn't realize until later on that was what they were doing. It was such and interesting book!
Here is something:
"How to Make Molasses. In the mountains of Appalachia the art of making molasses is alive and well. Molasses, a thick, dark brown syrup made from sugar cane ..." www.ehow.com/how_2067504_make-molasses.html
And the history behind this and more information: http://www.digitalheritage.org/index.php/heritage-moments/2-featured/37-sorghum
Read about the Boston Molasses Flood of 1919. http://www.celebrateboston.com/disasters/molasses-flood.htm. 21 people killed and over 150 injured when a huge storage tank exploded sending 2.3 million gallons of molasses through the streets of Boston.

(love these old posts) We serve real maple, grade B which has good flavor and is not cloyingly sweet. When we first opened, I would warm the maple syrup to go with the warm waffles, but I would find about 50 cents worth of maple syrup left on the plate. I realized that most people are used to syrup substitute that has thickeners in it and they were not used to how fast real syrup flows when it is warm. I stopped heating it. Much less waste..
Tom said:
(love these old posts) We serve real maple, grade B which has good flavor and is not cloyingly sweet. When we first opened, I would warm the maple syrup to go with the warm waffles, but I would find about 50 cents worth of maple syrup left on the plate. I realized that most people are used to syrup substitute that has thickeners in it and they were not used to how fast real syrup flows when it is warm. I stopped heating it. Much less waste.
YES!
50 cents is all? Seems to me it is more than that, I hate waste, I know I know I am in the wrong business...but I hate it. The other day guests could not eat all their food and apologized and I laughed saying I served the exact same meal and go dinged on TA by a couple who said the breakfasts aren't large enough here. NEVER EVER has any one said that on the planet. So there ya have it...
And you know just because I always had cold syrup I prefer it cold on my pancakes. Not slightly chilled, cold.

I guess I am the odd ball, I can't stand the taste of "real" maple syrup...it's way too sweet. I've only ever had it from the New England area, maybe the taste is better elsewhere..
muirford said:
The story details how dangerous it was to make molasses (from sorghum cane brought to these mountains from African slaves)[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]. I had NO IDEA! Barns were burned, lives lost in the process. It was an important and mostly the only sweetener for them besides honey.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]Recently we went to a farm day where they were making it, I just walked past and didn't realize until later on that was what they were doing. It was such and interesting book![/COLOR]
Here is something:
Joey Bloggs said:
muirford said:
The story details how dangerous it was to make molasses (from sorghum cane brought to these mountains from African slaves). I had NO IDEA! Barns were burned, lives lost in the process. It was an important and mostly the only sweetener for them besides honey.
Recently we went to a farm day where they were making it, I just walked past and didn't realize until later on that was what they were doing. It was such and interesting book!
Here is something:
Read about the Boston Molasses Flood of 1919. http://www.celebrateboston.com/disasters/molasses-flood.htm. 21 people killed and over 150 injured when a huge storage tank exploded sending 2.3 million gallons of molasses through the streets of Boston.
Twas a bit of a sticky wicket

(love these old posts) We serve real maple, grade B which has good flavor and is not cloyingly sweet. When we first opened, I would warm the maple syrup to go with the warm waffles, but I would find about 50 cents worth of maple syrup left on the plate. I realized that most people are used to syrup substitute that has thickeners in it and they were not used to how fast real syrup flows when it is warm. I stopped heating it. Much less waste..
Never had the real stuff as a kid and never put it on pancakes or waffles now but love maple syrup on salmon.
I always warm it up first thing in the morning. It's usually tepid by the time guests sit down.
We sell the grade A stuff but use the grade B on the tables. As it gets later in the season, the syrup gets darker.

Tom said:
(love these old posts) We serve real maple, grade B which has good flavor and is not cloyingly sweet. When we first opened, I would warm the maple syrup to go with the warm waffles, but I would find about 50 cents worth of maple syrup left on the plate. I realized that most people are used to syrup substitute that has thickeners in it and they were not used to how fast real syrup flows when it is warm. I stopped heating it. Much less waste.
YES!
50 cents is all? Seems to me it is more than that, I hate waste, I know I know I am in the wrong business...but I hate it. The other day guests could not eat all their food and apologized and I laughed saying I served the exact same meal and go dinged on TA by a couple who said the breakfasts aren't large enough here. NEVER EVER has any one said that on the planet. So there ya have it...
And you know just because I always had cold syrup I prefer it cold on my pancakes. Not slightly chilled, cold.
Note to self when JB comes to visit. COLD 100% maple syrup.

Tom said:
YES!
happykeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif

You know every time I see this topic I think about how the syrup is made and I am like "Yes it does freeze!" then it thaws... but that is a story for another time, and there are plenty here experienced in that topic moreso than I.

Never had the real stuff as a kid and never put it on pancakes or waffles now but love maple syrup on salmon.
I always warm it up first thing in the morning. It's usually tepid by the time guests sit down.
We sell the grade A stuff but use the grade B on the tables. As it gets later in the season, the syrup gets darker.
Morticia said:
but love maple syrup on salmon.
It sure makes an awesome glaze! (on donuts, oh and salmon yeah that too!)

muirford said:
Where would one find the "B" stuff?

muirford said:
See if PA has a list of AG Producers - we do in WV. WV also has a Maple Syrup Assoc - perhaps PA does also. Goo it - you may have a producer near you or that you could get the B grade from direct.
http://pamapleassociation.org/
http://www.pennsylvaniamaplesyrup.com/
http://www.glennafarms.com/ - this one says grade A and B

Partly because this is an old thread and because we have some newer Innmates, I thought I'd remind everyone of The Great Maple Syrup Heist that took place in Quebec a few years back. There was some talk about making a movie for TV out of the story, but I'm not sure what ever became of that.
It is comforting to know that the strategic maple syrup reserves are now stored in a more secure facility.
wink_smile.gif

muirford said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
muirford said:
We could always get it from a supplier from PA (closer to me than WV sources) but you can also find it at Trader Joe's. I'd be surprised if that kitchen store in Lititz didn't have some. We would buy it by the gallon or half gallon, stick it in the freezer once we opened it, and keep a small jug in the fridge for refilling to get it to the table.

For those interested, here's the new grading system side-by-side with the old.
http://blogs-images.forbes.com/larryolmsted/files/2014/04/MapleGrades.jpg
We used to use Grade A Dark Amber on the old system and now use Grade A "Dark with Robust Taste" We find that it gives guests a true Vermont taste without overwhelming those used to synthetic faux syrups from the grocery stores (I'm looking at you, Aunt Jemima!)

For those interested, here's the new grading system side-by-side with the old.
http://blogs-images.forbes.com/larryolmsted/files/2014/04/MapleGrades.jpg
We used to use Grade A Dark Amber on the old system and now use Grade A "Dark with Robust Taste" We find that it gives guests a true Vermont taste without overwhelming those used to synthetic faux syrups from the grocery stores (I'm looking at you, Aunt Jemima!).
Commercial is anything that has a defect: flavour of caramel or sap, or traces of insoluble calcium malate. We changed to these quite a while ago, but no one will use the dark around here for anything but cooking. It's the late harvest syrup, just too dark to put on a table. We use amber for cooking and serve medium.

Back