Does this seem right?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
bb.com has feature property listings using a bidding system. I'm really miffed right now because there is a property which is twice as large as most of us, who has a big marketing budget, belongs to the new "diamond collection" and has now overbid all of the feature property listings in our entire region. Every time I go in to bid 1 cent more, they counter. They have monopolized every available town (except for 2 small ones that don't matter) in the region, and a lot of the listings are more than a 2 hour drive from them. Smaller properties can not compete.
What are your thought on this? Personally, I'm at a point where I will no longer refer guests to them and don't blame any of the other b&bs if they feel the same way. It feels like David and Golieth, but this time Golieth wins.

I think that featured link went for almost $300 here one time. A lot of the time, tho, it's $25.
However, that is not your point. I'd be miffed, too, if a big place was bidding on every town in the area. They really should be limited to bidding on the town they are in and the overall state page. Even if it was a small place with a lot of money, they ought to be limited to the town they profess to be in.
I also don't like that you can pay to be listed in any town you want. (Not the featured listing, but the basic listing.)

I understand your feeling on this BD. One thing I can't understand is why they are using this to market in an area 2 hours away. I can not see how that would work out to their benefit. I see this same type of thing happening in our neighboring big city but for them there are a couple of Golieths that dominate any online marketing media.
One such Golieth does dip into our area on occasion but I do not think it pays off for them just drains their marketing funds. People that are looking in my area are looking here to either stay in a more quiet area than big city when visiting OR they are wanting to get away from the big city.
One thing that you are doing by upping them on the bidding, is that they must pay more to be in that slot. I wonder if they are even looking at their stats to see if their $$ is actually making $$ or are they just donating it to the directory?

I understand your feeling on this BD. One thing I can't understand is why they are using this to market in an area 2 hours away. I can not see how that would work out to their benefit. I see this same type of thing happening in our neighboring big city but for them there are a couple of Golieths that dominate any online marketing media.
One such Golieth does dip into our area on occasion but I do not think it pays off for them just drains their marketing funds. People that are looking in my area are looking here to either stay in a more quiet area than big city when visiting OR they are wanting to get away from the big city.
One thing that you are doing by upping them on the bidding, is that they must pay more to be in that slot. I wonder if they are even looking at their stats to see if their $$ is actually making $$ or are they just donating it to the directory?.
Now there's a plan...keep inching up the bids so they spend more money every month. (Did I say that?
devil_smile.gif
)

One thing that you are doing by upping them on the bidding, is that they must pay more to be in that slot. I wonder if they are even looking at their stats to see if their $$ is actually making $$ or are they just donating it to the directory?.
one of the reasons any of us in my area wouldwant a feature property bid 2 hours away, is that we are in an area where visitors travel up and down the main tourist road and stay in multiple locations during their trip. If a property is a couple hour drive, the guest would book it for the next segment of their trip. I do understand why this Golieth is doing it, but I don't agree that they should not have any concerns about all the rest of us.
I am getting a bit of glee forcing them to increase their bids, but really in the big picture, it's not hurting them at all. This is a place that probably spent $15,000 on their website/photos. A couple hundred bucks is just like a buzzing fly.

Now there's a plan...keep inching up the bids so they spend more money every month. (Did I say that?
devil_smile.gif
)
I appreciate your devilishness!

Another reason I did not look back after dropping the 800 lb gorilla. All that counted was how much I was willing to give them. IMO thre should be a mileage limit on surrounding area alternatives - as in 60 miles. If they are willing to drive an extra hour to get to wherever, OK but for 2 hours, they may as well have come from home! Of course people see 50 miles distance in WV and think that is just an hour. Depending on where it is, 50 miles could be 2 hours!

Breakfast Diva, that really stinks.
And it's one of the concerns that a lot of folks had about the whole diamond collection to begin with: that they'd overwhelm the B&Bs. Seems those concerns were well-founded.
The worst part is that most folks going to look for a B&B would probably prefer staying in a B&B, not in a boutique hotel or resort.
It seems that the bidding process has made that search more difficult for the guests. Not to mention the fact that it completely excludes real B&Bs from the possibility of ever being a featured listing on the very site that is supposed to promote B&Bs.
All around, just not cool at all.

devil_smile.gif
)
Mort, my thoughts exactly
embaressed_smile.gif

And it's one of the concerns that a lot of folks had about the whole diamond collection to begin with: that they'd overwhelm the B&Bs. Seems those concerns were well-founded.
The worst part is that most folks going to look for a B&B would probably prefer staying in a B&B, not in a boutique hotel or resort.
It seems that the bidding process has made that search more difficult for the guests. Not to mention the fact that it completely excludes real B&Bs from the possibility of ever being a featured listing on the very site that is supposed to promote B&Bs.
All around, just not cool at all..
This place is still a b&b, not boutique hotel, but it really is in a class by itself around here. Most b&bs around here are 4 rooms. Because our state doesn't have very many large cities, there's a lot of rural areas and an abundance of small b&bs. It's more rare to have the 8+ room properties. This one happens to have 10 rooms and is very upscale.
The problem with the whole diamond collection and this bidding system is that it pitts us against each other instead of all of us working together. I just don't think it's right when when the playing field is so squewed and the guests who are looking for properties have no idea that the reason they are seeing the same property everywhere on the site it's because they were able to pay more to make it happen. "Featured Property" is misleading....it should be "Paid Advertisement" instead.

This place is still a b&b, not boutique hotel, but it really is in a class by itself around here. Most b&bs around here are 4 rooms. Because our state doesn't have very many large cities, there's a lot of rural areas and an abundance of small b&bs. It's more rare to have the 8+ room properties. This one happens to have 10 rooms and is very upscale.
The problem with the whole diamond collection and this bidding system is that it pitts us against each other instead of all of us working together. I just don't think it's right when when the playing field is so squewed and the guests who are looking for properties have no idea that the reason they are seeing the same property everywhere on the site it's because they were able to pay more to make it happen. "Featured Property" is misleading....it should be "Paid Advertisement" instead.
Breakfast Diva said:
The problem with the whole diamond collection and this bidding system is that it pitts us against each other instead of all of us working together.
Very good point.

Breakfast Diva said:
Ahhhhhhh, that IS the intent with this directory! Not really in the sense you are thinking but the more that we play tug-a-war on these featured listing and upping our membership level or adding a 2nd listing - guess who wins!!! THEY are playing us and as long as we keep playing, they will keep expanding the playing field to allow more to play the game.
Just remember your B&B has its nitch that is different than Goliath so make your regular listing stand out strong.
And yes, I totally agree with the misleading name.

Breakfast Diva said:
Ahhhhhhh, that IS the intent with this directory! Not really in the sense you are thinking but the more that we play tug-a-war on these featured listing and upping our membership level or adding a 2nd listing - guess who wins!!! THEY are playing us and as long as we keep playing, they will keep expanding the playing field to allow more to play the game.
Just remember your B&B has its nitch that is different than Goliath so make your regular listing stand out strong.
And yes, I totally agree with the misleading name.
copperhead said:
I had two B&Bs - one 30 minutes away, in another state, and one about 15 minutes away - take listings in my town. One was Diamond, one was Platinum so they both were listed before me. I changed my listing to state 'the only B&B in Mytown - why drive to enjoy its restaurants and shops?' Both of those other B&Bs have stopped listing in my town.
When it first happened, I cornered ELG at a conference and berated him about the page saying B&Bs IN mytown when they clearly weren't. The wording was changed soon after to read 'mytown area B&Bs and Inns'.

But the whole POINT is for the directory owners to make as much money as possible, as easily as possible. What is easier than a bidding war?

Have you addressed this with bb.com? I would be upset too. I would like for b&b's to work together to help each guest find the place that works best for him/her. I understand websites are in it to make a living, but we are their customers and how can the guests sort out which is the best place for their stay when one company has so much more advertising dollars? Just because a place has better pics doesn't make it a perfect fit.

Have you addressed this with bb.com? I would be upset too. I would like for b&b's to work together to help each guest find the place that works best for him/her. I understand websites are in it to make a living, but we are their customers and how can the guests sort out which is the best place for their stay when one company has so much more advertising dollars? Just because a place has better pics doesn't make it a perfect fit.
I have had issues with bb.com previously that I have talked with them about.They have their policies...take it or leave it. If you play their game, they make the rules.

I understand websites are in it to make a living, but we are their customers and how can the guests sort out which is the best place for their stay when one company has so much more advertising dollars? Just because a place has better pics doesn't make it a perfect fit.
The problem of the "perfect fit" is up to us to make the case. The 800 lb. gorilla is there to make money - for them! Yes they do market - that is why they feel they can charge us what they do because they have the domain name people think of when searching and if those words are used, will (or should) come up #1.
While owned by ELG, we protested a couple of their practices and changes were made. I do not know if the new owners give a rat's what we think. John monitors this Forum and has been pretty straight (has never insulted us as some have). Perhaps he will offer some insight.
Many of us work together but there are many others who look as other B & Bs strictly as competition - to be driven out of the market if possible. As long as there are inns willing to pay, it is a losing fight. I wonder what we would do if we had one room left, 2 people walked up at the same time wanting that room - the last one in town - how would you decide who gets the room? Would it possibly be the person who offers the most money for that room? I believe I would be tempted to accept the highest bid... Tomorrow brings a whole new scenario, lots of open rooms. Premium profit is available tonight! Same thing with the Directories. If we will pay it, they will take it. The only way to make things change is to bite the bullet and say I will see what happens on my own and with other directories.
Edited to add: BTW, if I supply the lodgings they need and a great breakfast in the morning, I have been "the perfect fit" for that guest for that night. I had lodgings and they had money - perfect!

Update:
I called bb.com and discussed the problem. I suggested they credit me back the balance since it was obvious that I wouldn't be able to use it if the Golieth kept up bidding. They refused. I then asked if I could use that money to do an "inn of the month" bid. They refused. I was pretty heated at this point. They were telling me that I had to just leave the money in that account or continue to bid to a level that the other property would drop out. Sure! how long do they think my measly $50 would last at that rate!?!?!
They finally said the only thing they would/could do was to match my $50 with another credit for $50 so I could continue to up the bids. I agreed, but I'm not happy. All that this will accomplish is that even if I win some of the bids, the rate will be so high that none of the other b&bs will be able to compete when my now $100 is depleted. At the rate these bids are at, the $100 will only last a week or so if I try for the more popular towns or region.
I can totally understand that wouldn't give me a credit, but really, what would be the matter with me using that money somewhere else in the company????
My only consolation is that I know that the Golieth will now be spending a lot more money each month.

Update:
I called bb.com and discussed the problem. I suggested they credit me back the balance since it was obvious that I wouldn't be able to use it if the Golieth kept up bidding. They refused. I then asked if I could use that money to do an "inn of the month" bid. They refused. I was pretty heated at this point. They were telling me that I had to just leave the money in that account or continue to bid to a level that the other property would drop out. Sure! how long do they think my measly $50 would last at that rate!?!?!
They finally said the only thing they would/could do was to match my $50 with another credit for $50 so I could continue to up the bids. I agreed, but I'm not happy. All that this will accomplish is that even if I win some of the bids, the rate will be so high that none of the other b&bs will be able to compete when my now $100 is depleted. At the rate these bids are at, the $100 will only last a week or so if I try for the more popular towns or region.
I can totally understand that wouldn't give me a credit, but really, what would be the matter with me using that money somewhere else in the company????
My only consolation is that I know that the Golieth will now be spending a lot more money each month..
I suggested they credit me back the balance since it was obvious that I wouldn't be able to use it if the Golieth kept up bidding. They refused. I then asked if I could use that money to do an "inn of the month" bid. They refused. I was pretty heated at this point. They were telling me that I had to just leave the money in that account or continue to bid to a level that the other property would drop out.
And you seriously expected a different answer????? You were talking to the gorilla!

Update:
My only consolation is that I know that the Golieth will now be spending a lot more money each month..
I suggested they credit me back the balance since it was obvious that I wouldn't be able to use it if the Golieth kept up bidding. They refused. I then asked if I could use that money to do an "inn of the month" bid. They refused. I was pretty heated at this point. They were telling me that I had to just leave the money in that account or continue to bid to a level that the other property would drop out.
And you seriously expected a different answer????? You were talking to the gorilla!
gillumhouse said:

Nope! At least I got a little something out of it though
devil_smile.gif

Back