Domain Name

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white pine

Reaction score
Searching for a domain name it appears that the "whitepinelodge" dot com is listed as for sale on Go Daddy and other sites. They want to broker it, commission etc. Is this a good thing to consider? How does one find out what it is worth? Am I better off just to come up with a variant?
I tried to do a Whois search on the name, but I am not sure I got it right because I didn't seem to get much info. I came across a site which says it lists sale prices, searched, and go a list of dates and prices--not sure what it means other than it appears to have been resold a lot anywhere from $200-$2,700.
Also, from what I read the domains expire. It is registered for a max of ten years. What happens then? Sorry if I am asking stupid questions, but this is confusing to me.

I did a WHOIS search and then went to Network Solutions and this shows up. So looks like someone owns it for 10 year. So you can't get that domain. Honestly I would not pay that kind of money for a domain. That is like blackmail in my mind. If I were you I would look for a similar one and pay the regular price. Get it for as long as you can.
But curiously enough...go to www.whitepinelodge.com and a site comes up which is located in ON. So I don't have a clue what is going on.

I did a WHOIS search and then went to Network Solutions and this shows up. So looks like someone owns it for 10 year. So you can't get that domain. Honestly I would not pay that kind of money for a domain. That is like blackmail in my mind. If I were you I would look for a similar one and pay the regular price. Get it for as long as you can.
But curiously enough...go to www.whitepinelodge.com and a site comes up which is located in ON. So I don't have a clue what is going on..
The site administrator is registered on whois as someone in Ontario, Canada. It is likely a legitimate owner of the domain name using it for a legitimate business in Canada. Network Solutions wants someone to make a bid on it - that doesn't actually mean the domain is really for sale by the owner, I'm guessing. Just that you could try to buy it if you wanted it. You know, the old 'anything is for sale' theory.
GoDaddy has the same 'buy this domain' spiel listed for my URL. It's not for sale.

But curiously enough...go to www.whitepinelodge.com and a site comes up which is located in ON. So I don't have a clue what is going on..
I thought she was using a euphamism name to cite as an example of what she was talking about. I did not think that was the actul name she was going to use.

I thought she was using a euphamism name to cite as an example of what she was talking about. I did not think that was the actul name she was going to use.
Thanks, yes you are correct. Sorry to be unclear, but still trying not to use the real name of the place. Just trying to figure out what to do and who I can trust (websites) out there.

Thanks, yes you are correct. Sorry to be unclear, but still trying not to use the real name of the place. Just trying to figure out what to do and who I can trust (websites) out there.
Oh sorry I misundersood you. I thought that was the name you were looking to get. But..the same advice holds true...I still would not get into a bidding war and pay an outrageous price for a specific domain.
Get a domain that is short and sweet, easy to remember and as close as possible to the name you want. Do not put in any dashes...or underscores..can make for problems in getting people to remember your URL.
It doesn't matter where you buy the domain, many different sources--could be your ISP can get it for you...mine does...godaddy, register.com, networksolutions.com etc....Shop around for the best deal if you want. Buy it for the long term.
I thought I had mine...which I was going to keep even after we retired, but...when it was time for renewal, they had my old email..so I never got the notice...then lost it. Not a big deal..but after having it for 7 years, and being very high in search engines, it would have been nice to have it to pass on to a potential new owner. Not now :-( I would not go to auction to buy it back. Not worth it to me.

Thanks for the link. "Whitepinelodge.com" is not the name only an example. So sorry for the confusion. I did use the link, and did a search. Came up with a registrant "New Media Nexus" in Australia, Reg. thru Go Daddy. was created 2/00, expires 2/11 last updated 3/10/10. Appears to be housekeeping cabins in Ontario. When I type in the domain all I get is GoDaddy link, which says it is for sale.

Oh sorry I misundersood you. I thought that was the name you were looking to get. But..the same advice holds true...I still would not get into a bidding war and pay an outrageous price for a specific domain.
Get a domain that is short and sweet, easy to remember and as close as possible to the name you want. Do not put in any dashes...or underscores..can make for problems in getting people to remember your URL.
It doesn't matter where you buy the domain, many different sources--could be your ISP can get it for you...mine does...godaddy, register.com, networksolutions.com etc....Shop around for the best deal if you want. Buy it for the long term.
I thought I had mine...which I was going to keep even after we retired, but...when it was time for renewal, they had my old email..so I never got the notice...then lost it. Not a big deal..but after having it for 7 years, and being very high in search engines, it would have been nice to have it to pass on to a potential new owner. Not now :-( I would not go to auction to buy it back. Not worth it to me.
Thanks, for the info. Think we are posting at the same time. The name is short and simple and ranks well alphabetically--thats the problem. Another person in the state has the domain name version with a hyphen (like white-pine.com). The ability to scoop them appeals to my business sense.
Paying out does not appeal, but if the price were not too steep I might. Wish I knew what kind of money we are talking about tho.
Sad to lose your name after so long. Doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks, for the info. Think we are posting at the same time. The name is short and simple and ranks well alphabetically--thats the problem. Another person in the state has the domain name version with a hyphen (like white-pine.com). The ability to scoop them appeals to my business sense.
Paying out does not appeal, but if the price were not too steep I might. Wish I knew what kind of money we are talking about tho.
If you're only talking possibly $200 and the old name has value for you, why not spring for it? Sure, it's one of the uglier aspects of the internet that folks scoop up names when folks don't renew. Definitely not good karma for them.
But all things considered, if it's the name you want and it doesn't break the bank getting it, I vote get it. Just bury that problem for once and for all.

If you're only talking possibly $200 and the old name has value for you, why not spring for it? Sure, it's one of the uglier aspects of the internet that folks scoop up names when folks don't renew. Definitely not good karma for them.
But all things considered, if it's the name you want and it doesn't break the bank getting it, I vote get it. Just bury that problem for once and for all.
Not looking for bad karma, but if they are willing to sell, and nothing comes up but the go daddy link when I put in the domain they can't be using it well. Or do searches rank by the country of origin? That is is I am doing a search from the U.S. it will show me businesses in the U.S. first? Doesn't seem like it should, but why doesn't the domain name bring up their website?
Also, if Go Daddy is listed as the register, and is the link for selling, wouldn't it be better to go thru another agency to purchase it? Is this like in real estate paying the sellers agent to be your buyers agent?

Not looking for bad karma, but if they are willing to sell, and nothing comes up but the go daddy link when I put in the domain they can't be using it well. Or do searches rank by the country of origin? That is is I am doing a search from the U.S. it will show me businesses in the U.S. first? Doesn't seem like it should, but why doesn't the domain name bring up their website?
Also, if Go Daddy is listed as the register, and is the link for selling, wouldn't it be better to go thru another agency to purchase it? Is this like in real estate paying the sellers agent to be your buyers agent?
The bad karma is all theirs, not yours.
WhitePine, if I were you, I'd send an email to swirt and ask him those questions.
He's the expert on this forum for all things techie and internet and I'm sure he will stear you to the right answers.

If GoDaddy says the domain is for sale, it probably is.... more specifically, the owner abandonned it, and goDaddy kept possession of it to extract any remaining value that they can.
If it has meaning and is a good domain, it can be worth paying some extra money for it. which you may have to do through goDaddy I am afraid. It is not so much a buyers agent and sellers agent issue.... probably a better analogy would be a car dealer that repossesses a car....when they repossess it, they still own the car so if you want to buy it, you have to buy it through them.
you could buy it through godaddy, then transfer it to any other registrar you want. When you buy it, it becomes yours for the time that time frame that you pay the registration ... after that it becomes publicly available and the first to register it anew, wins. this is why it is important to keep an eye on your expiration dates and make sure you don't let your registation lapse.

If GoDaddy says the domain is for sale, it probably is.... more specifically, the owner abandonned it, and goDaddy kept possession of it to extract any remaining value that they can.
If it has meaning and is a good domain, it can be worth paying some extra money for it. which you may have to do through goDaddy I am afraid. It is not so much a buyers agent and sellers agent issue.... probably a better analogy would be a car dealer that repossesses a car....when they repossess it, they still own the car so if you want to buy it, you have to buy it through them.
you could buy it through godaddy, then transfer it to any other registrar you want. When you buy it, it becomes yours for the time that time frame that you pay the registration ... after that it becomes publicly available and the first to register it anew, wins. this is why it is important to keep an eye on your expiration dates and make sure you don't let your registation lapse..
Thanks!

you could buy it through godaddy, then transfer it to any other registrar you want. When you buy it, it becomes yours for the time that time frame that you pay the registration ... after that it becomes publicly available and the first to register it anew, wins. this is why it is important to keep an eye on your expiration dates and make sure you don't let your registation lapse..
Our deal hit some snags, but now it appears we may close soon. The domain is listed with sedo as for sale-- make an offer. Looking at their site, with info on buying it made me feel like the dog chasing the car who caught it. NOW WHAT? Their site talks about "parking" it with them and the posts here speak of registrars and hosting. OK assuming I get my offer accepted, how do I choose where to put it? Sorry to be so ignorant, I almost didn't post this. I really need to find a class somewhere.

Our deal hit some snags, but now it appears we may close soon. The domain is listed with sedo as for sale-- make an offer. Looking at their site, with info on buying it made me feel like the dog chasing the car who caught it. NOW WHAT? Their site talks about "parking" it with them and the posts here speak of registrars and hosting. OK assuming I get my offer accepted, how do I choose where to put it? Sorry to be so ignorant, I almost didn't post this. I really need to find a class somewhere.
You done good to post it here. I know nothing, but MANY of the others DO KNOW and will help you with it. This Forum is pretty much a one-stop shop for into an innkeeper needs.

white pine said:
I really need to find a class somewhere.
No, WP, you need to find a webmaster.
Meanwhile, I'm sure some of the very well-informed folks on this forum will chime in with some immediate ideas for you.

You done good to post it here. I know nothing, but MANY of the others DO KNOW and will help you with it. This Forum is pretty much a one-stop shop for into an innkeeper needs.
Thanks for your support. This forum has been a GOD SEND! I am really freaking!! I've been reading all the FAQs on go daddy and other sites trying to learn some things but little is sinking in. My spirits are just sinking down.
This is why people run and throw money at people to make it all better!! I don't even know who to throw money at! I need to learn-- I try to keep telling myself they learned you can too..but ARGH!!

Do you absolutely have to have THAT domain name or can you come up with a better one that is not being held hostage?
Hosting is the place in cyberspace where your site will reside. I think 1&1.com has gotten good reviews here. What you want to watch for is a hosting site that allows you to build a site that is covered with their advertising.
To register the domain as belonging to you, I think you can go thru a lot of different sites with a lot of different prices. I use Network Solutions just because it's been around forever and I got my first site registered with them. 1&1 also does registration.
Be wary of any website designer who says they will do it all for you. Not that they would 'steal' your domain name, but some might hold it hostage for high monthly maintenance fees on your site. It takes zero ability to register a domain name so do it yourself and set up the account in your name with your passwords that you don't give out.
Do a search on 'web hosting reviews' and you'll see a lot of info condensed into a nice spreadsheet format so you can compare. You'll also get an overview of what is offered so you can figure out what you want...
Hosting, email, a shopping cart (if you want to sell souvenirs online), etc.

Mort-ABSOLUTELY- NEVER ever give a webmaster control of your domain name. That is the problem we are having right now because the old webmaster didn't want to relinquish the website because the owner was not going to pay astronomical amount every time there was a change and when the owner refused to pay it the webmaster SHUT DOWN her site.
So...here we are with two live websites---not good for business, the webmaster will not shut down this erroneous website because the owner owned neither the domain name nor the hosting...any clues on how to fix this other than a law suit?
Need advise as well since I need a CLASS as well.

Mort-ABSOLUTELY- NEVER ever give a webmaster control of your domain name. That is the problem we are having right now because the old webmaster didn't want to relinquish the website because the owner was not going to pay astronomical amount every time there was a change and when the owner refused to pay it the webmaster SHUT DOWN her site.
So...here we are with two live websites---not good for business, the webmaster will not shut down this erroneous website because the owner owned neither the domain name nor the hosting...any clues on how to fix this other than a law suit?
Need advise as well since I need a CLASS as well..
If your owner does not own the domain name, then your new site has a different domain name, correct? These are examples: old domain name- ABCinn.com, new domain name-ABCinnonmain.com
You can't both be using the same domain name.
What stinks is that the original domain name is the one with the history. Is the website still active? Is it awful? As in, is the webmaster posting awful things about the inn on it or is it just sitting there? Is it bringing in business or driving it away?
If there was an agreement at some point about what was to be paid and it wasn't paid, I'm not sure you CAN get the other site shut down. If the old website has defamatory info on it, you may need an IT lawyer to step in. And your owner may owe back payment if any changes were made at her behest that weren't paid for.

Back