DON"T FLUSH!!a

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No matter how many times you tell 'em, somebody's gonna do it. I just spent 5 hours last night disassembling a sewage system to find the mouse that some girl flush. The "hunt" for the offending item required that I had to disassemble a vacuum pump to discover it's not there. I removed four duckbills to discover it's not there. I vacuumed all of the discharge lines to discover it wasn't there. Then, lastly, the big job - I had to completely remove the toilet, seals, and discharge plates to find that it was stuck in the hose. So, I had to remove the entire hose, cut it and re-engineer a new fitting into place since the hose had been destroyed at the spot of the where the clog was.
When the group got there on Sunday, I TOLD THEM that if they do it, I will dig it out and I will mail it back to the offender (and if the person who made the booking didn't figure out which one of her girlfriends it was, then she would get the present), and that it's not the first time I've done that. That's my policy; I spell it out up front; and although it will kill any potential for repeat business, I already know that I don't want repeats of people like that. Oh...and they will also get the repair bill. Marine labor runs $100/hour no matter what the job is.
Five hours into it, and I have retrieved the object, and still need to re-seat the toilet, re-assemble the pump and put it all back together.
All I need now is a stamp..
You are my hero(ine)!
cheers.gif

When in doubt, threatening to make someone's vacation a tad more expensive because of a careless disposal works well!
But if you're looking for something clever, try something like "Our Toilets Panic If It's Not Organic. If You Haven't Digested It, Don't Flush It"
Okay, that was pretty lame, but you get the idea.

We have a sign over the TP that says,
Our "country plumbing" was not designed to accept bulky items like: tampons, condoms, diapers, paper towels, personal hygine wipes, sanitary napkins etc.
PLEASE DO NOT FLUSH THESE ITEMS.
Flush toilet paper only. Use the bags provided for all other items and place in sealed can.
This seems to work. We get pumped out every year but have never had a back up from guests flushing bulky items.
At one point we thought of making a joke about the "grinder in the toilet" but opted for the sign above.

I don't like seeing things spelled out, and in fact it grosses me out. Just like I don't like or want to know who was "using" my bed before I stayed in it.
blech

I don't like seeing things spelled out, and in fact it grosses me out. Just like I don't like or want to know who was "using" my bed before I stayed in it.
blech.
We get a lot of city folk here who have no idea what a septic system is. They flush everything and anything in their apartments in the city and need to have things spelled out. I do agree that tip toeing around the issue might do the trick with some guests, but at the risk of offending the more delicate ones
embaressed_smile.gif
, I lean on the side of saving the plumbing.

blech.
That's why I liked the one I posted eons ago, "Country plumbing (or Septic System) not like town, only TP will go down." I don't want to hear about everything either.
wink_smile.gif

blech.
We get a lot of city folk here who have no idea what a septic system is. They flush everything and anything in their apartments in the city and need to have things spelled out. I do agree that tip toeing around the issue might do the trick with some guests, but at the risk of offending the more delicate ones
embaressed_smile.gif
Same here. We have a village septic tank but the same rules apply.
Originally I had a note saying "as the village is on a septic tank please do not flush items down the toilet, but use the sanitary bags and bins provided."
I then had a couple of people ask if it was ok to put toilet paper down the loo, so had to change the note to say (except toilet paper).
You have to spell it out.
Just because people in the city get away with flushing everything down the loo doesn't make it right or mean they won't block the system.

blech.
embaressed_smile.gif
Originally I had a note saying "as the village is on a septic tank please do not flush items down the toilet, but use the sanitary bags and bins provided."
I then had a couple of people ask if it was ok to put toilet paper down the loo, so had to change the note to say (except toilet paper).
Just because people in the city get away with flushing everything down the loo doesn't make it right or mean they won't block the system.
We had guests ask last week if tp was ok to flush and I don't even have signs. No idea why they asked other than they had stayed somewhere else where it was a problem.

blech.
embaressed_smile.gif
We had guests ask last week if tp was ok to flush and I don't even have signs. No idea why they asked other than they had stayed somewhere else where it was a problem.
Were they Greek? I don't know about the mainland but it's common not to flush tp on the islands.

blech.
embaressed_smile.gif
Were they Greek? I don't know about the mainland but it's common not to flush tp on the islands.
Entirely different continent. And not mine or yours!

blech.
embaressed_smile.gif
Entirely different continent. And not mine or yours!
It's common in many areas of Africa and Asia to put TP in a recepticle and not flush it.
And then there are the extreme cheapskates. youtu.be/olWArpqK3F0 And the part that gets me is at the end when the kid says "It's kind of dirty" and the mother replies "That's okay, it's clean."

blech.
embaressed_smile.gif
Madeleine said:
Maybe in a tent. LOL

If you only knew what I have. Never knew about them till we bought this land.
whattha.gif
You know what I'm talking about?

Fixing a clogged toilet is simple, but people tend to have fears. Its much easier to pay a plumber to solve your minor issues, but you should learn to fix it yourself and save a lot of money in the process.
Tom Plumb

Back