DON"T FLUSH!!a

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandynn

Reaction score
I need a cute, nice or funny way to say don't flush anything down the toilet. The septic needed pumped and the guy said do you have old people stay. Several Depends have been flushed.

Unbelievable. Inexusable.
But since it's true, I wonder whether it might help to have some small, opaque plastic bags under the sink along with a note asking folks to wrap anything other than toilet paper that they might be tempted to flush down the toilet, along with a suggestion of where they could dispose of the bag once tied up.
But I say again, unbelievable and inexcusable.

STOP! I can't believe that, no way. How terrible..
Oh yes I bet this happens to lots of innkeepers and no one knows it. I never dreamed anyone would do that.
sandynn said:
Oh yes I bet this happens to lots of innkeepers and no one knows it. I never dreamed anyone would do that.
We have an issue when I worked for the health dept with women flushing things, also on a septic and was right on the edge of Botany Bay (yeah where Capt Cook landed in Australia) south of Sydney, we had waste baskets but they would not use them, we finally had to hire the monthly rented disposal bins for them to get the idea and insist they use them.

Not that you would post this but OBF's dad said to me as he pointed out the head the first time I was on their boat, 'If it wasn't in your mouth first, it doesn't go in there.' See how well that stuck with me? 40 years!

Please refrain from putting anything that does not come out of you down the loo.
We have a sticker on our toilet that says "Please be aware that this is a macerating toilet (here put in septic system) so please refrain from putting any contraceptives, sanitory products, nappies etc as this will clog/break the system with unpleasant results there will also be a $300 fine for fixing the toilet. We havn't had a problem since then.

I asked a question here a while back about attaching a garbage disposal to the kitchen sink. Maybe they should be attached to the toilets instead!

Simply put: SEPTIC SYSTEM - please only flush TP, for all other personal items please use the sanatary can. We have a separate can - foot peddal lid with bags inside. I add plastic grocery bags for baby diapers... unfortunately we don't know when we need these for adults!

I ordered the sanitary bags in the personalized packaging from Greenwich Bay and there is one on the tank of every toilet or within near reach. Nothing will stop some people but I think it does help having both the bags AND a sign

All of our toilets have the following posted over them:
[COLOR= red]STOP[/COLOR] [COLOR= green]Please[/COLOR][COLOR= green], Do Not Put
Anything In The Toilet That
You Have Not Eaten First![/COLOR]

[COLOR= green](Except toilet paper[/COLOR])
The sewage system cannot digest anything else.
No tampons or sanitary napkins, No paper towels or
"Wet Ones," No dental floss, No diapers, No cigarettes!
If a toilet or faucet has a tendency to keep running,
please let us know as soon as possible.

I would just put a sign up saying "We are on a septic system, pls be considerate of our plumbing." I would not spell out anything, please, as we always say, don't offend everyone else.

I would just put a sign up saying "We are on a septic system, pls be considerate of our plumbing." I would not spell out anything, please, as we always say, don't offend everyone else..
the only problem with this many people (ie myself included) would not know what to put down and what not. Believe in being as discreete as possible but people are idiots and also don't think rules apply to them ust everyone else.

Country plumbing. Not like on town. Only toilet paper will go down.

Country plumbing. Not like on town. Only toilet paper will go down..
Mtatoc said:
Country plumbing. Not like on town. Only toilet paper will go down.
I was trying to remember what that little ditty was. It's in a lot of restrooms in little shops around here.

Thank you for this to-the-point wording. I added 'no hair', and deleted the last paragraph, centered in the 'Old Century' font, and framed signs (yes, the dreaded signs I've been holding off of for so long) will go up above each toilet.
-(other) Kathleen
(edited to add that this is in reply to Harborfield's post)

Thank you for this to-the-point wording. I added 'no hair', and deleted the last paragraph, centered in the 'Old Century' font, and framed signs (yes, the dreaded signs I've been holding off of for so long) will go up above each toilet.
-(other) Kathleen
(edited to add that this is in reply to Harborfield's post).
Skamokawa said:
-(other) Kathleen
(edited to add that this is in reply to Harborfield's post)
Put it above the toilet paper roll. More guests will see it there.

I agree with "Put it above the toilet paper roll. More guests will see it there" however I had a good chuckle because I have that nice little point at the tip of my TP and I cannot tell you how many times that nice little point is still there after guest has been in the room for hours / days .....
Um I KNOW darn well they did not put that little point back there after using it, I also know they probably did not bring their own so I can only guess .. eww don't even want to think about it (Shake shake shake ... excuse the pun)

No matter how many times you tell 'em, somebody's gonna do it. I just spent 5 hours last night disassembling a sewage system to find the mouse that some girl flush. The "hunt" for the offending item required that I had to disassemble a vacuum pump to discover it's not there. I removed four duckbills to discover it's not there. I vacuumed all of the discharge lines to discover it wasn't there. Then, lastly, the big job - I had to completely remove the toilet, seals, and discharge plates to find that it was stuck in the hose. So, I had to remove the entire hose, cut it and re-engineer a new fitting into place since the hose had been destroyed at the spot of the where the clog was.
When the group got there on Sunday, I TOLD THEM that if they do it, I will dig it out and I will mail it back to the offender (and if the person who made the booking didn't figure out which one of her girlfriends it was, then she would get the present), and that it's not the first time I've done that. That's my policy; I spell it out up front; and although it will kill any potential for repeat business, I already know that I don't want repeats of people like that. Oh...and they will also get the repair bill. Marine labor runs $100/hour no matter what the job is.
Five hours into it, and I have retrieved the object, and still need to re-seat the toilet, re-assemble the pump and put it all back together.
All I need now is a stamp.

Back