Done for another year!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
Just finished the pumpkin for this year! I got it done earlier than usual. I am shocked! Got 8 cups of pumpkin from the first one we did yesterday and 11 cups from the one today. I did 2 bags with 2 cups for my Thanksgiving and Christmas pumpkin pie and the rest are in generous 1 cup bags for muffins etc throughout the year. That way I do not have to measure - just dump. I make an awesome pumpkin chocolate chip muffin! And my pumpkin pie is soooo good (I wonder of the bourbon has anything to do with that?).

Good for you! I made two pumpkin pies today (my daughter and her friends were here for the weekend from the U, and my son stopped over night too!
regular_smile.gif
Happy momma here), and we had a full house all weekend and 2/3rds full through Thursday!
How do you do your pumpkin? The girls left behind 4 BIG pumpkins that they were going to carve but never got around to doing it, so I was thinking I'd try to put some up in the freezer to make pies etc from. But I have NEVER made any before (always use Libbys solid pack out of the can!).

Good for you! I made two pumpkin pies today (my daughter and her friends were here for the weekend from the U, and my son stopped over night too!
regular_smile.gif
Happy momma here), and we had a full house all weekend and 2/3rds full through Thursday!
How do you do your pumpkin? The girls left behind 4 BIG pumpkins that they were going to carve but never got around to doing it, so I was thinking I'd try to put some up in the freezer to make pies etc from. But I have NEVER made any before (always use Libbys solid pack out of the can!)..
Dig out the seeds and the guts - save the seeds (get them separated from the yucky stuff). Cut the pumpkin in thirds or fourths and out in a lipped pan - the biggest sheet cake pan is good - with about 2 cups of water in a 350 -375 oven for at least an hour or until a fork test says it is soft. Remove the pumpkin from the shell and put through a processor or a ricer to make it a puree. Bag it up in 1 cup (be generous) packages in freezer bags with the date on them. Most pumpkin muffin recipes call for 1 cup of pumpkin and for a pie it is usually 2 cups.
Now those seeds that you saved? IF you like salted pumpkin seeds put a couple tablespoons of salt into a pot with enough water to cover the pumpkins seeds. (DH cannot have salt so we just leave that out.) Boil for about 45 min. Drain the seeds and pat dry. Preheat oven to about 350 F. Put seeds on a LIGHTLY sprayed or oiled cookie sheet and baked for about 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Repeat until all the seeds have been baked. Enjoy.
Forgot to say I got the seeds recipe from a pumpkin farm in Illinois eons ago.

THANKS!!!
thumbs_up.gif
I'm definitely going to do this!
And we ALWAYS save the seeds and roast them, only I also drizzle honey over them before roasting. Soooo yummy!
I was thinking of trying them with Parmesan cheese on them

THANKS!!!
thumbs_up.gif
I'm definitely going to do this!
And we ALWAYS save the seeds and roast them, only I also drizzle honey over them before roasting. Soooo yummy!
I was thinking of trying them with Parmesan cheese on them.
I was once asked to make them with cinnamon sugar (the guitarist from Trans-Siberian Orchestra) so I sprinkled them with cinnamon sugar mixture instead of patting dry. I think they liked them. Experiment!!!

regular_smile.gif
How do you do your pumpkin? The girls left behind 4 BIG pumpkins that they were going to carve but never got around to doing it, so I was thinking I'd try to put some up in the freezer to make pies etc from. But I have NEVER made any before (always use Libbys solid pack out of the can!)..
Dig out the seeds and the guts - save the seeds (get them separated from the yucky stuff). Cut the pumpkin in thirds or fourths and out in a lipped pan - the biggest sheet cake pan is good - with about 2 cups of water in a 350 -375 oven for at least an hour or until a fork test says it is soft. Remove the pumpkin from the shell and put through a processor or a ricer to make it a puree. Bag it up in 1 cup (be generous) packages in freezer bags with the date on them. Most pumpkin muffin recipes call for 1 cup of pumpkin and for a pie it is usually 2 cups.
Now those seeds that you saved? IF you like salted pumpkin seeds put a couple tablespoons of salt into a pot with enough water to cover the pumpkins seeds. (DH cannot have salt so we just leave that out.) Boil for about 45 min. Drain the seeds and pat dry. Preheat oven to about 350 F. Put seeds on a LIGHTLY sprayed or oiled cookie sheet and baked for about 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Repeat until all the seeds have been baked. Enjoy.
Forgot to say I got the seeds recipe from a pumpkin farm in Illinois eons ago.
Thank you for these great instructions! I've never worked with fresh pumpkin, but now I'm going to give it a try.

Don't you need to use a special kind of pumpkin if you are going to turn it into a pie? I've never tried before but just heard from someone that jack-o-latern pumpkins don't always make the best tasting pie. Just curious. I always just like to use the can of Libby's.

Don't you need to use a special kind of pumpkin if you are going to turn it into a pie? I've never tried before but just heard from someone that jack-o-latern pumpkins don't always make the best tasting pie. Just curious. I always just like to use the can of Libby's..
I have used the big pumpkins for my muffins and pies for a long time. Never had anyone reject them or say anything but yummy. since it is pureed, it does not matter that it is stringier to start with. I will say to BAKE it rather than boil. The boiling method puts too much water into it - and I have used both methods. I always bake now.

Don't you need to use a special kind of pumpkin if you are going to turn it into a pie? I've never tried before but just heard from someone that jack-o-latern pumpkins don't always make the best tasting pie. Just curious. I always just like to use the can of Libby's..
Libbey's uses Calabaza pumpkin. Any pumpkin will work but some are sweeter than others.
I found these recommended for culinary purposes.
Amish Pie – A creamy-colored squash shaped like a large apple. Good for baking.
Baby Bear – A good decorative or small pumpkin for children, especially because of the long handles. The seeds are good for roasting.
Sugar Pie – Thin-skinned with supersweet flesh, the preferred pumpkin for pie-making
Long Island Cheese – The traditional squash used for pies on the East Coast.

Back