Don't bite the hand that tries to feed you

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agoodman

Reaction score
About a year ago I had someone contact me that was looking at buying a B&B that had closed shortly after i had bought mine, which was almost 6 years ago. I gave him a special rate and lots of tips on negotiating the buy, which I know saved him lots of $$
They had no hospitality and no B&B experience. I offered to let them shadow me or run my Inn for a day or so (Oh my wife knows how to clean), I reminded them they needed commercial insurance (I have already spoken to the agent that insures my house), I mentioned the various organizations and PAII conference (oh I have been a car salesman all my life I don't need that). He happened to mention that the house was filled with "heavy French antiques" which of course was perfect for the style of house IMHO, but they preferred "contemporary" so would be pulling it all out. I mentioned that guests like what they don't get to see everywhere else ....
Not only did I never get a thank you for any help or the special rate (which will not stop me from ALWAYS giving a special rate to Innkeepers) but I never heard from them again, although I referred guests there when I was full. I went onto their website a couple of times, if you went to make a res it never asked you what date, or how many nights or which room, it just took you straight to a paypal page but I was not going to let them know since "he knew it all" already.
Yesterday I had referred a guest to them and just happened to go onto their website tonight - they are NO LONGER IN BUSINESS. Now, I know how tough business is out there, most of you know I nearly got foreclosed on and am mid-bankruptcy but hanging in there, but here was someone in a college town, the ONLY B&B I might add and the other hotels CRAPPY, much closer to the interstate than I am and I really believe that had they accepted the help I was offering - with no strings attached to that help - they would not have closed.
Don't bite the hand that tries to feed you, and mantain good relationships with those around you, even if they are competitors.

That's good advice. We should all try to work together but I know it doesn't always work out that way.

With that attitude, it was only a matter of time. You can help, but you can't make a person into an innkeeper.

I applaud you for your efforts and even referring guests to him. I would not have been so kind. Without so much as a thank you to you....I would have never lifted another finger to help him. Sounds to me he got what he deserved. Sorry...but people like this just don't get it.

Perhaps they closed because they weren't successful, but I'm not sure that you can assume that there might be some other reason that they closed the business.
Not that there's any excuse for rude behavior or not being grateful to you for any help that you offered.......

Perhaps they closed because they weren't successful, but I'm not sure that you can assume that there might be some other reason that they closed the business.
Not that there's any excuse for rude behavior or not being grateful to you for any help that you offered........
Samster said:
Not that there's any excuse for rude behavior or not being grateful to you for any help that you offered.......
I am not saying I am the sole reason they closed (he was well a little ARROGANT) but heck even though I have a 30 year hotel background there is still so much I had to learn along the way, most of it the hard way and a lot of it which cost me $$, that with his total cluelessness from step 1 my help certainly would have made some difference.

I always listen politely cos even if it is something which is not relevant to you it might just tie up with something later on you never know plus cleaning your house and cleaning rooms are two completely different things as we all know. A room has to be to a standard where it seems like no one has been in it (ie no stray hairs in the bathroom) in your own home it is a different kettle of fish if it gets left or isnt immaculate only you see it.

We all know that many Innkeepers are not open to advice....we can be sort of a stubborn crowd!! And I agree with Samster...maybe closing was not about failure...maybe they reached a goal, or just got sick of it, or someone has health problems, or whatever.

We all know that many Innkeepers are not open to advice....we can be sort of a stubborn crowd!! And I agree with Samster...maybe closing was not about failure...maybe they reached a goal, or just got sick of it, or someone has health problems, or whatever..
Exactly, Wendy......you just never know and can't assume a thing about people. Maybe they just re-assessed their life priorities.
Innkeepers...stubborn? Hahaha...... ;-)

Back