Don't Do It, It's Annoying

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlands John

Reaction score
Maybe it's just end of summer grouchiness, but this has happened a few times lately and it really ticks me off!!!!
People who message or email during the afternoon to let you know what time they'll be checking in and then arrive 2 hours later. I didn't ask for them to let me know the time, so why message in the first place and get it completely wrong. What's the point?
angry_smile.gif

VERY few arrive when they say they will. In my case, about 70% way late, and 30% way early!

Possible reason for tardiness: many guests are traveling in and depending on road conditions, traffic etc. they're at mercy of flight delays, driver, traffic, weather, grabbing bite at restaurant where waiting line is long etc. Not to make excuses for them but the above may hold a clue.
On flip side, there have been a few times where innkeeper was out and we had to wait hour+ to be let in and register.

In my 24 years as an innkeeper, I have leatned to expect them when I see them. I am with you, Highlands, the few that have bothered to up date are often interrupting what I am doing.It is rarely a call I am relieved to get. Did have one last month though that the update allowed me to go to a play instead of having to wait uselessly.

Our check in range is roughly noon to 9PM, but I ask for times so that I know which rooms need to be cleaned first and when we can go play, yes, with some folks the one that says noon may actually show up at bedtime, just works that way, I'll be available when they say they will arrive, however if the person that said 1 to 3 pm arrives at 4 they may have to wait on me if I needed to run an errand and I tend to state it in that manner in my confirmation emails.

Yes, annoying. I don't really care. I'm here from 3-7 whether you show up at noon or midnight. But don't tell me 4 and then I plan something for 5!

No one every estimates how far away we are correctly. We usually add an extra hour to hour and a half to their estimates.

If you are more than 30 minutes late and haven't told me... I email you the self check-in information and put up a sign on the door... we need to go about our day.

No one every estimates how far away we are correctly. We usually add an extra hour to hour and a half to their estimates..
Forgive if I've told this story before, but one afternoon I had a call from people checking in that day to say they were just leaving Edinburgh and would be here in 1.5 hours. Now, Edinburgh is around 160 miles from here so even at 100mph and assuming you don't stop for any junctions or other traffic you're pushing it.
I told the gentleman that Edinburgh was about 3-3.5 hours away to which he indignantly snapped "Well I've looked it up on Google Maps and it says 1.5 hours". I've driven here to Edinburgh and back must be 100 times in the past 15 years, but I'm too long in the tooth at this game to argue with people like this so I just said "See you in 1.5 hours".
I did get a rather begrudgingly "You were right!" when they arrived 3.5 hours later.

We have had a rash of early arrivals this season. The confirmation and pre arrival emails say check in at 2, the door sign says check in at 2, but they still arrive at noon and want their room. Or we're not there and they call, sometimes a little indignant.
Our confirmations and pre arrival emails also say to call if you're going to be after 5. Most call, but some don't. If I don't hear from them by 6, I'll call. Partly because it's curvy mountain driving and we want to make sure they're arriving safely, but mostly because we know we can't fully relax until they arrive.

No one every estimates how far away we are correctly. We usually add an extra hour to hour and a half to their estimates..
Forgive if I've told this story before, but one afternoon I had a call from people checking in that day to say they were just leaving Edinburgh and would be here in 1.5 hours. Now, Edinburgh is around 160 miles from here so even at 100mph and assuming you don't stop for any junctions or other traffic you're pushing it.
I told the gentleman that Edinburgh was about 3-3.5 hours away to which he indignantly snapped "Well I've looked it up on Google Maps and it says 1.5 hours". I've driven here to Edinburgh and back must be 100 times in the past 15 years, but I'm too long in the tooth at this game to argue with people like this so I just said "See you in 1.5 hours".
I did get a rather begrudgingly "You were right!" when they arrived 3.5 hours later.
I had a guest call who was lost. I asked them to describe where they were as they insisted they had followed their GPS. OK, then.
So, asked if they were at the dock or had they turned around and headed back. Asked if they had passed the 3-way stop sign, the 4-way stop sign? I made it pretty obvious I knew EXACTLY where they were. I told them to turn at the 4-way and gave them directions from there. The driver is arguing with everything I'm saying - that can't be right! We're going in the wrong direction! Etc. From the guy who followed his GPS almost into the bay.
Finally, I hear his wife say, 'I think she knows where she lives!' Then silence. I let Gomez check them in.

haha! I remember going to see the late, great Sarah at the Tipsy Butler and even with the gps I was totally confused. I was driving with my windows down and heard her calling to me from up on top of the hill! My gps kept telling me to go in a different direction.
heart.gif

haha! I remember going to see the late, great Sarah at the Tipsy Butler and even with the gps I was totally confused. I was driving with my windows down and heard her calling to me from up on top of the hill! My gps kept telling me to go in a different direction.
heart.gif
The late great Tipsey was wonderful, she and Joey Boggs were a great addition to this Forum. I miss both. IF anyone has heard from Joey, please post how they are doing after the hurricane. I know their house was on stilts, but that does not mean anything in those winds.

heart.gif
seashanty said:
heart.gif
I just had dinner at the place down the hill from there! No idea what's happened with the house or her husband.

Tony sold the inn ... I found the website a bit confusing and I’m not sure if the new owners opened yet or not after renovating. I don’t know where Tony is now. The Eggemoggin didn’t work out and last I checked it was closed.
heart.gif
For a brief time, it seemed they were on top of the world.

heart.gif
My confirmations has a note in the directions that says "If you're using a satnav...............etc" because our postcode is centered way down the road.
Of course I still get the calls "we're by the pub and we can't find you" because nobody reads anything you send them.

Tony sold the inn ... I found the website a bit confusing and I’m not sure if the new owners opened yet or not after renovating. I don’t know where Tony is now. The Eggemoggin didn’t work out and last I checked it was closed.
heart.gif
For a brief time, it seemed they were on top of the world..
Wish I'd known. I could have driven by there before dinner to check it out. I tried keeping in touch, but got no response.

Back