Don't forget to vote Tuesday!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I once had a man on my crew who never voted. I told him I did not want to hear one word of complaint (his favorite occupation) if he did not vote. No matter who wins or loses - I vote so I have bi tching rights!

DONE! Bummed there were no stickers, but there were free Kit Kats :)
Looked like a great turnout, hope that's the case everywhere.

Looked like a great turnout, hope that's the case everywhere..
Don Draper said:
Looked like a great turnout, hope that's the case everywhere.
Yes, for the sake of clapping bunnies everywhere! Arkansas' total population is less than 3 million and as of yesterday nearly 500,000 early votes had been cast! That's a huge percentage of our voting population.
Kudos to all for keeping this topic non-controversial. I know it's not easy for some, but it really is possible to be a good citizen without being overtly political about it. Very good!

Looked like a great turnout, hope that's the case everywhere..
We voted early this morning and got a coupon for free BJ's ice cream cone as a thank you! I'll have to remember to vote early from now on!
tounge_smile.gif

Done. Got the sticker and the tootsie roll.
I live in such a small township that we were in and out of there in 7 minutes :)

I live in such a small township that we were in and out of there in 7 minutes :).
I would have been out that quickly except there Is so much going on in the hallways outside the polls I had to stop to talk to everyone!

I live in such a small township that we were in and out of there in 7 minutes :).
I would have been out that quickly except there Is so much going on in the hallways outside the polls I had to stop to talk to everyone!
Madeleine said:
:) I love that!
When I voted early a couple of weeks ago, I was the only one there, except the election officials and they were all serious and business-like. No fun at all!

Report from the polls (sorry, I was too beat and too angry last night to post):
We had a huge turnout. It was so busy - steady stream of voters - that it was almost impossible for the poll workers to even get to the bathroom in their efforts to not inconvenience the voters. Thank goodness for innkeeper training on that score!
Contrary to what some may think re my anger, it was at our school board. Two precincts vote at our local high school. My polling place is next to the gym. First we had a cheerleading practice on the other side of the wall and people going in and out of the gym through a door next to my position, but then when they left for the regional competition (came in second so go to State) we then had boys basketball practice followed by girls basketball practice and the in/outs as above. BUT the real over the top was that once again - this is NOT the first year something like this has happened, but the worst - a rally for the middle school cheerleading team was scheduled to START at the moment the polls closed to voters - not taking into consideration there are this that need to be done AFTER the polls close - forms to be filled out, supplies returned to containers, booths to take down, etc. In addition to this, the area where these people moved to is where our personal belongings are placed while we work the polls - our food, jackets, purses...
People began arriving for the event - coming in the building and milling about. When I requested them to move to the commons area since this was a polling place (polls closed in 20 minutes and there was no way to tell who was a voter and who was just there), one man and his friend thought it was funny to taunt me since I was the one who requested the group move. He kept up with the are you going to let me vote again etc until the Head Commissioner came over and told him to move on at which time the jerk became confrontational to the Head Commissioner. I called the Police at his request as HE was calling the County Clerk's office. They came and talked to the man and left.
Now it is time to close the polls. This part of my anger is due to the fact it is not isolated to just here - it is the attitude of kids everywhere. By law, we must go outside and announce - Hear Ye, the polls are now closed. This announcement was met by derision and laughter. Then, much to my dismay, the people who had up to now at least been waiting outside, poured into the building where 2 polling places were trying to take down materials required to be taped on the front of the building, and finish up the election. They were abusive to ME because I told them they could not come in. The polls are closed - we waited.
Now as someone who had been up since 4 AM along with the other 4 who had also been up to be AT THE POLLS BY 5:30 AM and who had to attend yet another poll worker training session (a requirement for every election and with bond calls, special elections, etc this was our 9th in less than 2 years) - ask yourself how you would feel to be on the receiving end of this lack of respect for the election process and the people who make the process possible. The pay for this has actually gone up in the last few years - to a whole $160 (taxes to be paid when you file your annual). That is why it is getting to be difficult to find poll workers. Most are old geezers like me because the young cannot be bothered. It was sad that more young people were not voting - when I saw old folks using walkers and canes and some who could barely walk coming in to vote.
One year the event was a concert of some sort and they actually came in and roped us off and let people in! Now I need to get ready for the Kiwanis meeting.
Thanks for letting me vent. I feel better now.

Madeleine said:
When I voted early a couple of weeks ago, I was the only one there, except the election officials and they were all serious and business-like. No fun at all!
The halls leading into the gym are packed with groups selling cookies, pies, soup, you name it. The library has a table set up. The high school art class had a table set up. There are people wanting your signature for NEXT year's ballot items. Down the side halls the kids have the tables set up to sell poinsettias and wreaths.
You get the different contenders for the local seats shaking hands. But, that's all they can do so it's nice to finally not get a spiel!
It's a little fair.
And I've never run across a poll worker who was terse. There's always a smile and, if they know us, a 'hi!'

Madeleine said:
The halls leading into the gym are packed with groups selling cookies, pies, soup, you name it. The library has a table set up. The high school art class had a table set up. There are people wanting your signature for NEXT year's ballot items. Down the side halls the kids have the tables set up to sell poinsettias and wreaths.
You get the different contenders for the local seats shaking hands. But, that's all they can do so it's nice to finally not get a spiel!
It's a little fair.
And I've never run across a poll worker who was terse. There's always a smile and, if they know us, a 'hi!'
We were smiling and pleasant until the non-voters took over. Here there is no campaigning within 300 feet of the polls and NO ONE except poll workers, voters, or election officials is permitted inside the polls. We are permitted to have someone bring us food, but they must deliver and leave. Candidates stay away - totally.
We are a small town so everyone has known everyone since they were in diapers - and their kids and grandkids - so there is banter and a small amount of chit chat. Many get asked about how they are doing since they have often not been seen since the last election because many are almost homebound - but they get out to vote.

Back