Don't go away mad ...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
noon ... last guest out the door, bags of dirty laundry in various places throughout ... on each floor. ditto for bagged up room trash. Breakfast room tables are sticky, long table usually covered with cloth is exposed ... tablecloth is drty, so boxes of stuff stored underneath are in view, floors have food crumbs on them .... dishwasher is running ... another bag of trash on the kitchen floor, pans and dishes for load number two are stacked on the counters ... you know the deal. chambermaid #3 is a no show, chambermaid #1 comes in off job 1 and is resting before starting to help.
i see a couple outside the door so i open it and ask if i can help them. they want 'a tour'. i explain that i can't show them around just now, if they can come back in a couple hours i will ((you all understand this, they do not)) 'we can't see JUST ONE ROOM?' they ask. i tell them i am sorry, there are guest belongings in some rooms, the other rooms have to be cleaned right now. they turn to walk away, i start to close the door but i hear the woman say 'we can't even see the common areas, what the heck kind of place IS this?' so i pull the door open and tell them i am cleaning eight guest rooms, there are dirty dishes left from all guests eating breakfast ... i am sorry'.
why did i bother? she makes a face at me and they turn away saying unkind things and laughing at me.
this hurts me. why should it? more important ... why did i open the door?
chambermaid says she doesn't understand what the big deal is ... why couldn't i show them at least the breakfast room. i am feeling burnt out at the moment. taking a break from the cleaning i am wondering if i am turning sour?

Some just do not get it. Most likely they were not looking for a room, just wanted to be nosey. Anyone that acts like that - you do not need.

They have all the earmarks of having been PITAs - big time. Rude people like that you do not need. Put them in the trash bag where they belong, put the trash out at teh curb, and move on with your usual sunny self.
Now - BREATHE, exhale; BREATHE, exhale; BREATHE!! Feel better?

We had the similar ones this morning, we just want to see for a future stay... Of course, we are in the middle of breakfast with a full house! They don't think, they are in "me land".
Don't feel bad, we turned them away and had to ask them to leave again when they started walking the grounds...
YOU HAVE TO SET YOUR BOUNDARIES (and stop feeling bad about it, you have a right to do it, you have to function!) and put on your Superwoman suit that deflects that garbage!

Another thing I always tell them is, "Out of courtesy to our guests and to respect their privacy, we do not show the inn or guest rooms when they are occupied, we will extend the same courtesy to you during your visit...if you'd like to make an appointment...blah blah blah"
Somehow when you make it about them, then it's ok...
wink_smile.gif

You have solved a problem today...you understand how you feel right now, you saw how you were treated by complete strangers and you did the right thing by not letting them in.
So, the problem solved is to not open the door even if they see you and continue to ring the bell. Hang up the sign. Lock the door. Get your work done. Keep your sanity. If you HAVE to open the door, you need a handy comeback to the 'tour' question...'The show starts at 3:30 PM, tickets go on sale at 3 PM, please stop back then.'
I know I get the PITAs (see, I admitted it!) but I stand my ground on guests seeing dirty spaces. No can do. I have backed down on that a few times and have felt miserable afterwards. Right now the laundry is stacked up by the front door waiting to go into the car. I have no guests today but they wouldn't be coming in right now if I did.
I talked with an innkeeper yesterday who doesn't even admit he owns the place. He just says, 'Hey, I just work here and today's my day off,' he says everyone gives him a wide berth because he's obviously put out about working on his day off.
wink_smile.gif
He tells guests the owner lives in FL.
You could always try that line...
It's a stage set. We want to keep the curtian closed until showtime. No one gets that. Even I don't get that. It wouldn't bother me in the least to see someone's inn turned on its ear. But your folks weren't looking for a room, they just were nosy. They were walking around with nothing to do and thought they'd do a house tour.

You have solved a problem today...you understand how you feel right now, you saw how you were treated by complete strangers and you did the right thing by not letting them in.
So, the problem solved is to not open the door even if they see you and continue to ring the bell. Hang up the sign. Lock the door. Get your work done. Keep your sanity. If you HAVE to open the door, you need a handy comeback to the 'tour' question...'The show starts at 3:30 PM, tickets go on sale at 3 PM, please stop back then.'
I know I get the PITAs (see, I admitted it!) but I stand my ground on guests seeing dirty spaces. No can do. I have backed down on that a few times and have felt miserable afterwards. Right now the laundry is stacked up by the front door waiting to go into the car. I have no guests today but they wouldn't be coming in right now if I did.
I talked with an innkeeper yesterday who doesn't even admit he owns the place. He just says, 'Hey, I just work here and today's my day off,' he says everyone gives him a wide berth because he's obviously put out about working on his day off.
wink_smile.gif
It's a stage set. We want to keep the curtian closed until showtime. No one gets that. Even I don't get that. It wouldn't bother me in the least to see someone's inn turned on its ear. But your folks weren't looking for a room, they just were nosy. They were walking around with nothing to do and thought they'd do a house tour..
you guys are the best!
pssst ... can i borrow someone's supergirl outfit?? can't seem to find mine anywhere.

wink_smile.gif
It's a stage set. We want to keep the curtian closed until showtime. No one gets that. Even I don't get that. It wouldn't bother me in the least to see someone's inn turned on its ear. But your folks weren't looking for a room, they just were nosy. They were walking around with nothing to do and thought they'd do a house tour..
you guys are the best!
pssst ... can i borrow someone's supergirl outfit?? can't seem to find mine anywhere.
You know what the kicker is? The ones who insist on seeing your place when it's not available and dirty NEVER BOOK! Wonder why????
tounge_smile.gif

FORGET ABOUT IT!!! YOU DO NOT OWE IT TO ANYONE TO SHOW THEM ANYTHING!!!! AND YES, I AM SHOUTING.
GIve me a break!!!! Now what did we tell you about locking that door and NOT ANSWERING IT!!!!!! You have work to to...do not bother with these kind of people! If they don't understand..then TOUGH LUCK!!!!! You don't want them as guests!!!
Is your CLOSED / NO VACANCY sign out???? DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR TO ANYONE UNTIL YOU ARE READY!!!!!!
tounge_smile.gif

You looked like you are booked solid, so you don't need to fill rooms right now...don't worry about it any longer.
REPEAT my FAVORITE AFFIRMATION: "
[h4]I love and approve of myself.
heart.gif
kiss.gif
[/h4]

Good job for standing your ground on not showing off your great place in anything but its best light!!
thumbs_up.gif
You were just trying to be nice by answering the door but now you know that's not a good idea when you're drowning in dirty linens and dishes.
You are SuperWoman....anyone that does what you do every day deserves that title...you don't need the suit!
teeth_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif
you guys are the best!
You know what the kicker is? The ones who insist on seeing your place when it's not available and dirty NEVER BOOK! Wonder why????
tounge_smile.gif

tounge_smile.gif

The true kicker is they will be the ones telling everyone about how nasty the place was - no mention of course about how they wheedled to see it Oh, it doesn't matter if it is a little messy. We understand....

We have neighbors coming all the time. I guess cause we're new, and I showed ONE couple the B&B, now they ALL want to see it. Like you said nosey.
I tell them that I won't disturb the guests, and ask them if they have access to the internet. Most say yes. Then I tell them the name of our site.
Did I advertise for "House Tours"?! don't think so.

I am with the group on this one. GLAD THEY DIDN'T GET THEIR STICKEY BEAKS IN YOUR PLACE! GOOD RIDDENS!
Call for a tour. Simple. Get lost.
SS I believe you saved yourself MUCH TIME even tho it bugged you, to get rid of those people. A quick tour would have been on their schedule not yours.

The heck with them!
Shame on them!
Of course you want to please people coming to your door. Of course you want to defend yourself against petty accusations from clueless people.
The heck with them!!!
angry_smile.gif

=)
Kk.

Another thing I always tell them is, "Out of courtesy to our guests and to respect their privacy, we do not show the inn or guest rooms when they are occupied, we will extend the same courtesy to you during your visit...if you'd like to make an appointment...blah blah blah"
Somehow when you make it about them, then it's ok...
wink_smile.gif
I like the wording of that a lot. :)

This should go in under the forum topic, "Why we need signs".
Some Suggestions to discourage tours:
1. Out of respect for our guests, go away.
2. Tours of the facilty between 2:00 P.M. and 2:05 PM
3. Bio-hazard. Do not enter.
4. My pitbull will be happy to give you the express tour.
5. Innkeeper has PMS and a gun.
wink_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif
you never know if it's a check-in (folks who have driven hundreds of miles to get here, bless 'em) and they don't know what to do with themselves til check-in. sometimes, they just want to tell me they are here, can they leave their car in the lot while they go on the ferry tour. and, of course, i want to tell them yes.
sometimes, another place has SENT them here and i sure don't want to give them the 'bum's rush' even if they are way too early to check in.
ah well ... can't win them all.

trisha - have you had an open house where you invite the neighbors? we did this our first year because so many folks wanted to see what we'd done they were coming by at all random times and didn't understand why i couldn't drop everything and show them around.
the open house ... they ALL came ... and then some! and that stopped the visits.

wink_smile.gif
ProudTexan said:
wink_smile.gif
I think just to add the icing on the cake here - innkeeper has menopause and a gun. LOL!

wink_smile.gif
you never know if it's a check-in (folks who have driven hundreds of miles to get here, bless 'em) and they don't know what to do with themselves til check-in. sometimes, they just want to tell me they are here, can they leave their car in the lot while they go on the ferry tour. and, of course, i want to tell them yes.
sometimes, another place has SENT them here and i sure don't want to give them the 'bum's rush' even if they are way too early to check in.
ah well ... can't win them all.
So what, THEY know what time check in is. You are not their babysitter nor their travel agent. You do not have to be the one to tell them what to do or where to go. If your door is closed and locked and you have the CHECK IN at 3 PM posted..that is their problem..NOT YOURS!!!
NO you can't win them all, but there is such a thing as time management vs burnout..and if you let them run your life..you are on the fast track to burn out...but then again..aren't you leaving in the fall????? Let you partner worry about the guests then
devil_smile.gif

Back