Don't need no stinkin' badges?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I have to ask this, as it is often draws my attention:
What do you see when you open a B&B website and on the home page (anywhere on this page) are badge after badge from associations, memberships, involvements. etc?
Can this be placed elsewhere effectively? Or is this the best place, people see it and go "ahhh! Good!" or what do they see?
Do they see the "clutter" we spoke of on another thread? Does it distract from the message of "come here for a quiet relaxing getaway" or does it say "Everyone thinks we are great, look at all our badges and accolades? BOOK NOW!"
Do we need all these stinkin' badges?
Your thoughts? Link love aside, they can be placed anywhere for link love, does everything need to be HOME PAGE ALL THE TIME?

No, it doesn't all need to be on the home page, or it doesn't all need to be big and bold on the home page. It could be at the bottom, but then you need to contend with the people who never scroll.
If you're in an area where there are a lot of other properties, having your badges easily visible will help those folks who cannot make a decision unless someone else has given a seal of approval.

I warn my clients all the time about cluttering up their site with too many of these badges, logos etc. People don't really care ...I don't believe. But the TA badge is one I think they should have on their site if they are a place that has consistently high ratings and lot of them..especially. I am working on a site right now that I have warned her about too many logos. But most of them I made pretty small so I think it will be ok for her. She likes it.

Sometimes it depends on what the badge is for as well. I get a fair number of guests who see the framed magazine articles on the walls and say, 'I didn't know that you were in those magazines!' So, it might make sense to get some of that stuff out where the guest can see it. It's not important to every guest, but some really get into that stuff.
I just read an online review of someone's website and one of the things they faulted the guy for not doing was not putting front and center that he had raves from celebrities who had tried his product. And the other thing they faulted him on was all the other 'crap' he did have all over the place.
I think it comes down to knowing what your particular market wants. And it could be completely different depending on where the B&B is located and who usually goes there. You don't seem to need all the badges, but other people who don't know how to pick & choose online might find them comforting.

Speaking of "STUFF" on home pages take a look at this, guests this morning recommended this place on the KY/IN border. (They do many weddings and have very large acreage with lake/pond)
Interesting to see the hotel comparison on the home page...it made me look. :)

Speaking of "STUFF" on home pages take a look at this, guests this morning recommended this place on the KY/IN border. (They do many weddings and have very large acreage with lake/pond)
Interesting to see the hotel comparison on the home page...it made me look. :).
Joey Bloggs said:
Interesting to see the hotel comparison on the home page...it made me look. :)
Also, if the top phrase for lodging searches in your area is 'mytown hotel' - those words help you tremendously from an SEO perspective.

Badges are clutter and most guests looking for a place to stay don't have any idea what any of them mean anyway unless they are actually associated with the organization the badge represents. Posting reviews from real guests and plenty of photos, IMHO, has more of an impact.

Back