Don't rain on my parade, but

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
I have been kicking around an idea that I would like to get some feedback on.
I would like to consider a Bed and Breakfast in Italy. I have been there on several occasions and going again to look at property in January. I feel there is a market there for an American owned B & B. Has anyone here considered a similar leap of faith and how did you go about it?

I think we had someone on here previously who was in Italy. Is she still around?
RIki

I have someone following my blog from a B&B in Italy.
For me personally, if I went to Italy the last thing I would want would be to stay at an American B&B. I want the whole Italian experience...But you might have Brits and such who would might like to stay at an American B&B? That is something worth researching.
The Americans you would get would most certainly be everyone you knew who wanted a place to stay though!
Costa Rica has tons of expat's running B&B;s, Canadians and Yanks.

Sounds like something that's at least worth investigating if you are really interested. What you have in your favor is that you are under no delusions as to what the actually running of the b&b would be like...you've got that all down pat so it would just be a matter of researching property and financing.

Wow...sounds incredible. Another "under the Tuscan Sun?"
Though you better be prepared to spend some BIG bucks! Property is not cheap and..and in Italy, there is little to no financing..you pay cash from what I have been told. Have you checked any listings lately??? Where would you want to be? As we say here, Location, location, location...and that will be $$$$ or you could head out to the countryside...but then why would anyone go there???
How familiar are you with Italy? Visiting several times...sounds like something a Typical 'aspiring" would say. Do you speak the language? How familiar are you with the way things work in Italy on a day to day basis??? Any place you buy would require some work put into it? Can you manage this yourself?
American Owned??? ( Edited after reading JB's response) I think JB is correct here..at least for me..the last thing I would look for is an American running a B & B in Italy. I want to be with the locals, get the local inside information, find the little unknown jewels only locals can tell me about. On the other hand, there are Americans who want to play it safe and be with someone who speaks their language.
Yes I know of an American Family who has a huge set up in Tuscany. They do "Tours", provide lodging and give week long cooking lessons to guests, take them on field trips....a dream of mine to go back and do this ....I mean stay with them...not do it myself.
Sounds like a big dream, but hey if you are prepared for it....go for it. Check this out.
Here's a nice property and hey they have financing available 1,700,000.00 EUR = 2,495,257.88 USD
tounge_smile.gif
I LOVE SIENA!
Here is another and it is near Perugia and Assisi...another area I love
OH take me with you:)

One big disadvantage is the exchange rate unless you have funding I Euro. That’s our advantage at the moment, as we will bring our funds in Euro and British pounds to the US to buy the property.
I TOTALLY understand this statement. When I got to come home to West Virginia, my Illinois dollars went a long way in West Virginia but I also knew it was a one-way move because West Virginia dollars would not be a drip in the bucket in Illinois. No going bck! Wages were much higher in Illinois creataing many more dollars than are found here. Selling our house in Illinois brought a LOT more dollars than selling a house here - and I would only get a shack in Illinois for what a nice house would sell for here.

Yes me… I’m just doing it the other way around. I’m from Germany and looking for a property in the US.
I took my time and researched and acknowledged myself. I can tall you it is difficult. You are not familiar with the rules and regulations and have to inform yourself about all the stuff.
Catlady is right you need to know the language especially as in Italy it is not totally common to speak English if you are not in the tourist areas like Venice. As well all information’s you want to look up are in Italian.
I was working for an Italian cruise line and I loved it especially if I had to go to Genoa as there are the headquarter. It is a nice city. I always brought back fresh noodles and pesto. The Food is so great there.
If I would look into a B&B I would look in the northern part of Italy, as this is also the more wealthy part of Italy. And in my opinion the better food.
One big disadvantage is the exchange rate unless you have funding in Euro. That’s our advantage at the moment, as we will bring our funds in Euro and British pounds to the US to buy the property.
You can find property, which is reasonable priced but you have to do a lot with the property to remodel as a B&B.
If you want to get specific information you can also contact me off forum.

Hi,
I think that is an awesome idea. I spent a month in Italy traveling with my teenage daughter. We stayed at a Tuscan Villa that was owned by a British couple. Here is their website. http://www.villaditoscana.com/
The fact that they were not Italian did not offend or lessen the experience at all, believe me. From looking at their guest book it did not offend most of the world.
Personally I believe that being Italian or not would make no difference to having a successful business in Italy; there are several Europeans that would find it charming to stay at a place close to home that has an American touch to it. You may not attract the typical tourist that wants the full-blown Italian experience but I bet you would attract a very intimate culturally diverse cliental.
I say go for it.

Hi,
I think that is an awesome idea. I spent a month in Italy traveling with my teenage daughter. We stayed at a Tuscan Villa that was owned by a British couple. Here is their website. http://www.villaditoscana.com/
The fact that they were not Italian did not offend or lessen the experience at all, believe me. From looking at their guest book it did not offend most of the world.
Personally I believe that being Italian or not would make no difference to having a successful business in Italy; there are several Europeans that would find it charming to stay at a place close to home that has an American touch to it. You may not attract the typical tourist that wants the full-blown Italian experience but I bet you would attract a very intimate culturally diverse cliental.
I say go for it..
Oh I never said offend or lessen....just that everyone is looking for a different experience. As I always say, there are plenty of people to go around...there is something for everyone.
Looking at all the options in Italy, I for one would have a very tough time trying to make a decision as to where to stay. I would seek out some personal opinions for sure before deciding.
You obviously had a good one if you stayed there a month....I am so jealous
cheers.gif
This was a villa rental right? Not a B & B... It looks lovely.

Hi,
I say go for it..
Oh I never said offend or lessen....just that everyone is looking for a different experience. As I always say, there are plenty of people to go around...there is something for everyone.
Looking at all the options in Italy, I for one would have a very tough time trying to make a decision as to where to stay. I would seek out some personal opinions for sure before deciding.
You obviously had a good one if you stayed there a month....I am so jealous
cheers.gif
This was a villa rental right? Not a B & B... It looks lovely.
Yes, it was a great time. It was three years ago, not a day has gone by since then that I do not think of Italy!
We rented it for a week, but they had breakfast in their main house everyday, it was really lovely.

Hi,
I say go for it..
Wow, that place looks unbelievable!!! I would not care if someone Italian, American or Martian owned it, I would be WAY excited just to be there!

Hi,
I say go for it..
Wow, that place looks unbelievable!!! I would not care if someone Italian, American or Martian owned it, I would be WAY excited just to be there!
Yes it does! And there are hundreds more just like it or even better all over Italy...that's why I said trying to decide which one would be sooooooo hard.

My cousin Vinny.
shades_smile.gif

I mentioned Brits as they travel throughout Europe more than Americans due to - first off the typical 5 weeks off per year, that helps, and of course they can get there easily enough vs all of our flying and big bucks to get there.
I would not stay in a place operated by Brits or non Italians if I visited Italy. I would feel cheated, I want the "eat! eat!" and my cheeks squeezed by the old school Italian mother and grandmother.
But then again, since so many websites never ever mention the innkeepers here in this country anyway - you could run it and never mention it.

Back