Don't say they're not out there...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've had, I think, two of these...A rare breed!
wink_smile.gif

We booked a place away this weekend and when I called to book it they asked me outright if I would be arriving later they will have a check in note for us.
We arrived at 7pm and there was the note. We could take our time and arrive when we arrived and it was EXCELLENT!
I said to DH why oh why do we think we MUST have this personal greeting every single time. After 5 hours driving I was tired, SUPER thirsty (as I withheld fluids for the drive time) and hungry. The best thing was to just check in and kick back, shower, refresh and not have the burden - yes I said burden - of chit chat with innkeepers. So that is my perspective from this weekend.
Another innkeeper on this forum made it simple - arriving after check in time (3 to 7) then there is a self check in note. I am going to do this from now on. I already have on my in-room check in sheets that after 6pm is family time, and how to reach us for stuff..
I am so glad to hear that this was your impression. We have the same strict policy, after check-in time you will get a note...then we've gone extra steps to make sure any questions they might have are answered either in the note or in the room binder we have. And that's exactly how I put it to guests "If you think you're going to be later than 6 pm I'll make a note of it, take your time and should we not be here when you arrive you will find your welcome note at the front door." Most people are happy as you were, they can take their time and not feel pressured.
Personally when I travel, I feel the same as you...I don't NEED a 15 minute welcome...give me the key and tell me where my room is and I'm good to go.

We love considerated guests (and have two such couples here tonight). I always leave a note on the front door, even if I am at home, welcoming guests and giving them directions to their room, etc. That way if I have to run to the store, or am out in the garden, the guests can come in, make themselves at home, unwind, have a drink and some snacks, and RELAX! So many times they tell me that just walking through the door is a stress reliever. While I try to be here when guests are expected to arrive I don't feel that I need to be here. And, if they are arriving very late, they don't have to worry about keeping us up. We want this to be a totally stress-free time for them and flexibility seems to be the key.

We booked a place away this weekend and when I called to book it they asked me outright if I would be arriving later they will have a check in note for us.
We arrived at 7pm and there was the note. We could take our time and arrive when we arrived and it was EXCELLENT!
I said to DH why oh why do we think we MUST have this personal greeting every single time. After 5 hours driving I was tired, SUPER thirsty (as I withheld fluids for the drive time) and hungry. The best thing was to just check in and kick back, shower, refresh and not have the burden - yes I said burden - of chit chat with innkeepers. So that is my perspective from this weekend.
Another innkeeper on this forum made it simple - arriving after check in time (3 to 7) then there is a self check in note. I am going to do this from now on. I already have on my in-room check in sheets that after 6pm is family time, and how to reach us for stuff..
I am so glad to hear that this was your impression. We have the same strict policy, after check-in time you will get a note...then we've gone extra steps to make sure any questions they might have are answered either in the note or in the room binder we have. And that's exactly how I put it to guests "If you think you're going to be later than 6 pm I'll make a note of it, take your time and should we not be here when you arrive you will find your welcome note at the front door." Most people are happy as you were, they can take their time and not feel pressured.
Personally when I travel, I feel the same as you...I don't NEED a 15 minute welcome...give me the key and tell me where my room is and I'm good to go.
"Personally when I travel, I feel the same as you...I don't NEED a 15 minute welcome...give me the key and tell me where my room is and I'm good to go."
Sorry, but I value my home and investment too much to leave a key and small note for a first time guest who I know nothing about. Nor will I entirely skip the very condensed 2-3 minute long check in process I give late arrivals who look, sound and are tired from their travels.
If its your first stay with us, I greet you no matter what time you arrive. Returning guests who are delayed somehow are left a key in a predetermined place and they know that others have probably gone to bed already, so they are very considerate.
Most of our guests choose us because of our quiet, rural location and the last thing we want to do is have some late arriving guest who didn't plan their travel day well, wandering through the house looking for how to warm up takeout food at 1am.
Its my experience that the vast majority of really late arrivals are due to poor planning and the belief that we're like a hotel and somebody will be beihnd a desk at all hours to check them in.
There are important safety and plumbing things about our home like the fact that we are on a septic system and not all people are familiar with what can and can't go down a toilet.
We can't risk another scene like we had last Memorial Day weekend when two women used two full 1,000 sheet rolls of toilet paper PER DAY and backed everything up to the gross inconvenience of all the other guests.

We're at a place where they leave the keys after 6 PM and the innkeepers go home, which is 30 minutes away.

We love considerated guests (and have two such couples here tonight). I always leave a note on the front door, even if I am at home, welcoming guests and giving them directions to their room, etc. That way if I have to run to the store, or am out in the garden, the guests can come in, make themselves at home, unwind, have a drink and some snacks, and RELAX! So many times they tell me that just walking through the door is a stress reliever. While I try to be here when guests are expected to arrive I don't feel that I need to be here. And, if they are arriving very late, they don't have to worry about keeping us up. We want this to be a totally stress-free time for them and flexibility seems to be the key..
"I always leave a note on the front door, even if I am at home, welcoming guests and giving them directions to their room, etc."
I'm sorry, but if I'm on the property, I'm greeting my guests and making sure not only they find everything they need, but also to insure that their late arrival doesn't negatively impact any other guests who may have turned in for the night already.
"That way if I have to run to the store, or am out in the garden, the guests can come in, make themselves at home, unwind, have a drink and some snacks, and RELAX!"

I'm not referring to returning guests, but I think most people in a strange and unfamiliar place would have a hard time fully relaxing knowing you are somewhere on the property, but didn't want to be bothered with one of the primary and most important functions of an innkeeper, the warm wlecome and taking care of the check in procedure.
If its me and I knew my innkeeper was on the property and still didn't come to greet me, I'd feel like I wasn't a very valued guest.
"We want this to be a totally stress-free time for them and flexibility seems to be the key."
I can think of no better way to put people at ease then to physically welcome them into my home and make sure they know everything they might need to know about the home and its amenities.
My flexibility is in planning my day around taking care of shopping, gardening, etc.. before any guests could be expected to arrive. Its also in my being flexible with my recreational schedule on days when I have guests checking in and in my bed time when I know I have first time guests arriving late.
Many of our guests really do "get" the part about being in someone's house and might be very hesitant to fully relax until they kind of get the "nod and wink" from us that they needn't worry about anything and we are there to assist them with getting as comfortable as possible.

We love considerated guests (and have two such couples here tonight). I always leave a note on the front door, even if I am at home, welcoming guests and giving them directions to their room, etc. That way if I have to run to the store, or am out in the garden, the guests can come in, make themselves at home, unwind, have a drink and some snacks, and RELAX! So many times they tell me that just walking through the door is a stress reliever. While I try to be here when guests are expected to arrive I don't feel that I need to be here. And, if they are arriving very late, they don't have to worry about keeping us up. We want this to be a totally stress-free time for them and flexibility seems to be the key..
"I always leave a note on the front door, even if I am at home, welcoming guests and giving them directions to their room, etc."
I'm sorry, but if I'm on the property, I'm greeting my guests and making sure not only they find everything they need, but also to insure that their late arrival doesn't negatively impact any other guests who may have turned in for the night already.
"That way if I have to run to the store, or am out in the garden, the guests can come in, make themselves at home, unwind, have a drink and some snacks, and RELAX!"

I'm not referring to returning guests, but I think most people in a strange and unfamiliar place would have a hard time fully relaxing knowing you are somewhere on the property, but didn't want to be bothered with one of the primary and most important functions of an innkeeper, the warm wlecome and taking care of the check in procedure.
If its me and I knew my innkeeper was on the property and still didn't come to greet me, I'd feel like I wasn't a very valued guest.
"We want this to be a totally stress-free time for them and flexibility seems to be the key."
I can think of no better way to put people at ease then to physically welcome them into my home and make sure they know everything they might need to know about the home and its amenities.
My flexibility is in planning my day around taking care of shopping, gardening, etc.. before any guests could be expected to arrive. Its also in my being flexible with my recreational schedule on days when I have guests checking in and in my bed time when I know I have first time guests arriving late.
Many of our guests really do "get" the part about being in someone's house and might be very hesitant to fully relax until they kind of get the "nod and wink" from us that they needn't worry about anything and we are there to assist them with getting as comfortable as possible.
While I'm all for debating the various merits of different innkeeping habits, I feel this entire topic is simply a matter of personal preference. YOU would feel like you need the "nod and wink" from an innkeeper where you are staying to know that you "needn't worry about anything and the innkeepers are there to assist you with getting comfortable".... I definitely would NOT, I'm on vacation and I'm not worried about anything, innkeeper or not!
wink_smile.gif

It's one of those situations where you do what works for you. I would love to greet each and every guest individually and fortunately I do get to do that for I'd say 85% of them. For that 15% who can't get here during the check-in time they get a very nice welcome note and the HOURS that DH and I have put into shaping our home and our resources to help people explore our area independently. That is what we value when we travel, the luxury of going at our own pace and on our own schedule. I wouldn't feel like the innkeeper couldn't be bothered, I would assume that the innkeeper is BUSY, and I'd be glad there was a system in place that let me arrive on my own time and didn't put the innkeeper out. This was my attitude for travel LONG before we purchased a b&b.
If we had fewer rooms perhaps I'd be more willing to check people in at all hours (although I would NEVER wait up for someone who didn't even have the courtesy to phone and tell me they'd be late). But at 9 rooms and running months at 90% occupancy like we are now, the burnout would be instant. We've learned to do what we need to do to get through our very long busy season (9 months).

While I'm all for debating the various merits of different innkeeping habits, I feel this entire topic is simply a matter of personal preference. YOU would feel like you need the "nod and wink" from an innkeeper where you are staying to know that you "needn't worry about anything and the innkeepers are there to assist you with getting comfortable".... I definitely would NOT, I'm on vacation and I'm not worried about anything, innkeeper or not!
wink_smile.gif

It's one of those situations where you do what works for you. I would love to greet each and every guest individually and fortunately I do get to do that for I'd say 85% of them. For that 15% who can't get here during the check-in time they get a very nice welcome note and the HOURS that DH and I have put into shaping our home and our resources to help people explore our area independently. That is what we value when we travel, the luxury of going at our own pace and on our own schedule. I wouldn't feel like the innkeeper couldn't be bothered, I would assume that the innkeeper is BUSY, and I'd be glad there was a system in place that let me arrive on my own time and didn't put the innkeeper out. This was my attitude for travel LONG before we purchased a b&b.
If we had fewer rooms perhaps I'd be more willing to check people in at all hours (although I would NEVER wait up for someone who didn't even have the courtesy to phone and tell me they'd be late). But at 9 rooms and running months at 90% occupancy like we are now, the burnout would be instant. We've learned to do what we need to do to get through our very long busy season (9 months).
InnsiderInfo said:
Yes, it is often astonishing how differently we all run our inns, and especially the difference between a larger and smaller inn. Both have their advantages... and their disadvantages! You could never do what I do (which is to ask each guest when they intend to arrive and meet them), it would be impossible! But there are things you are able to do which I simply cannot.
I love that about this forum... I learn so much from all the different perspectives!
=)
Kk.

As long as aspirings read the various viewpoints and are not strong armed into thinking the firmest voice is always the way it is. I have a kid who is involved in after school acitivities, if I need to run out to retrieve this kid and leave a note I will. What sort of life is it if you can't? We cannot be here 24/7. Life goes on or we will break. Many people avoid BnB's as they feel the owners are too "there" all the time. I happen to be one of them. I do not want helo-hovering, I do not want them to ask what my plans are for the day and to try to help me. I know there are plenty of hand-hold needy guests, but I am not one of them, I plan. Half the fun of any trip is the planning. That also means plans change - accidents on roads, delays, drive times vary with detours, I appreciate an innkeeper not making it difficult and waiting up for me, and of course I will call and let them know we are delayed. That is my personal take, to each his own. There is no one way to do anything at a BnB. We should respect others way of doing things as it works for them in their situation.

As long as aspirings read the various viewpoints and are not strong armed into thinking the firmest voice is always the way it is. I have a kid who is involved in after school acitivities, if I need to run out to retrieve this kid and leave a note I will. What sort of life is it if you can't? We cannot be here 24/7. Life goes on or we will break. Many people avoid BnB's as they feel the owners are too "there" all the time. I happen to be one of them. I do not want helo-hovering, I do not want them to ask what my plans are for the day and to try to help me. I know there are plenty of hand-hold needy guests, but I am not one of them, I plan. Half the fun of any trip is the planning. That also means plans change - accidents on roads, delays, drive times vary with detours, I appreciate an innkeeper not making it difficult and waiting up for me, and of course I will call and let them know we are delayed. That is my personal take, to each his own. There is no one way to do anything at a BnB. We should respect others way of doing things as it works for them in their situation..
"As long as aspirings read the various viewpoints and are not strong armed into thinking the firmest voice is always the way it is."
I'm only assuming you're referring to me, but I don't see anywhere in any of my posts on this subject or any other subject for that matter, do it this way or do it that way. Just how we do it and why.
You commented on another thread how easily folks veer off topic here, but I'd have to say I'm sometimes amazed at how much cherry picking gets done on what people write and than gets extrapolated to fit the next contrarian opinion offered.
I'm not sure how the choice to be here to greet each and every guest, and stay up a little later a couple times a year for the occasional late arrival due to whatever reason is perceived as somehow being tied to this business 24/7 or that we're missing out on life?
The groceries don't arrive via a magic fairy, the repairs and parts needed for them don't drop from the sky, our firsthand knowledge about local attractions, hiking trails, music venues, restaurants, etc.. doesn't come to us via channelling, we get out there and do it all.
" What sort of life is it if you can't? We cannot be here 24/7. Life goes on or we will break."
I've rarely stayed at one of those type places and while being very careful to strike a balance between being available for our guests needs and affording a lot of autonomy and privacy, its not like we're slaves to this thing. We have an active social life, are involved in our community, enjoy the arts, culture, dining just like anybody else.
"Many people avoid BnB's as they feel the owners are too "there" all the time. I happen to be one of them. I do not want helo-hovering, I do not want them to ask what my plans are for the day and to try to help me."
No, many typical hotel people avoid BnB's if they feel that way. Most people who prefer B&Bs as their first choice of lodging are seeking places that strike a good balance between attentive service and enough space and autonomy to relax and not feel hovered over. "
"I know there are plenty of hand-hold needy guests, but I am not one of them, I plan."
There is a world of difference between what you percieve as "hand-hold needy" and a guest's natural curiosity about your local area and things to see or do that aren't found in a guidebook or online. Or perhaps to be warned off of restaurants that get in all the guidebooks but have slipped in quality or are not as good as the guidebook writer stated.
Many guidebooks and such are written and updated by local freel ance writers and they are like the rest of us, they have their personal favorites and relationships with businesses.
"That also means plans change - accidents on roads, delays, drive times vary with detours, I appreciate an innkeeper not making it difficult and waiting up for me, and of course I will call and let them know we are delayed."
Of course they do and thats why we are here to be the voice of calm and assurance that everything will be fine when folks call and when they eventually get here. I'm not sure how an innkeeper displaying dedication to customer service by staying up for incoming guests makes it difficult for you the guest, but I'm all ears on how that is.
I also don't know how easy it is to get to your place, or how many directionally challenged guests you ever get, but we're in a rural location to get our fair share of them. I can't count the number of hugs I've gotten by guests who even with the printed map and directions we send with every confirmation, take a worng turn and are so grateful that I was up and with the phone to help guide them in. We get a fair share of solo women guests and they are enormously grateful to have a live voice on the other end of the phone if a problem or delay occurs, or in aiding them to get here if they get lost.
Hell, we've had a number of GPS junkies who have ignored the map & directions we send, because they and their new found toy know better and I end up on the phone with them finally guiding them in safe and sound.
If you run your B&B in an area with a huge proportion of very considerate people who always call when delayed, thats great.
"We should respect others way of doing things as it works for them in their situation."
Sounds good.

As long as aspirings read the various viewpoints and are not strong armed into thinking the firmest voice is always the way it is. I have a kid who is involved in after school acitivities, if I need to run out to retrieve this kid and leave a note I will. What sort of life is it if you can't? We cannot be here 24/7. Life goes on or we will break. Many people avoid BnB's as they feel the owners are too "there" all the time. I happen to be one of them. I do not want helo-hovering, I do not want them to ask what my plans are for the day and to try to help me. I know there are plenty of hand-hold needy guests, but I am not one of them, I plan. Half the fun of any trip is the planning. That also means plans change - accidents on roads, delays, drive times vary with detours, I appreciate an innkeeper not making it difficult and waiting up for me, and of course I will call and let them know we are delayed. That is my personal take, to each his own. There is no one way to do anything at a BnB. We should respect others way of doing things as it works for them in their situation..
"As long as aspirings read the various viewpoints and are not strong armed into thinking the firmest voice is always the way it is."
I'm only assuming you're referring to me, but I don't see anywhere in any of my posts on this subject or any other subject for that matter, do it this way or do it that way. Just how we do it and why.
You commented on another thread how easily folks veer off topic here, but I'd have to say I'm sometimes amazed at how much cherry picking gets done on what people write and than gets extrapolated to fit the next contrarian opinion offered.
I'm not sure how the choice to be here to greet each and every guest, and stay up a little later a couple times a year for the occasional late arrival due to whatever reason is perceived as somehow being tied to this business 24/7 or that we're missing out on life?
The groceries don't arrive via a magic fairy, the repairs and parts needed for them don't drop from the sky, our firsthand knowledge about local attractions, hiking trails, music venues, restaurants, etc.. doesn't come to us via channelling, we get out there and do it all.
" What sort of life is it if you can't? We cannot be here 24/7. Life goes on or we will break."
I've rarely stayed at one of those type places and while being very careful to strike a balance between being available for our guests needs and affording a lot of autonomy and privacy, its not like we're slaves to this thing. We have an active social life, are involved in our community, enjoy the arts, culture, dining just like anybody else.
"Many people avoid BnB's as they feel the owners are too "there" all the time. I happen to be one of them. I do not want helo-hovering, I do not want them to ask what my plans are for the day and to try to help me."
No, many typical hotel people avoid BnB's if they feel that way. Most people who prefer B&Bs as their first choice of lodging are seeking places that strike a good balance between attentive service and enough space and autonomy to relax and not feel hovered over. "
"I know there are plenty of hand-hold needy guests, but I am not one of them, I plan."
There is a world of difference between what you percieve as "hand-hold needy" and a guest's natural curiosity about your local area and things to see or do that aren't found in a guidebook or online. Or perhaps to be warned off of restaurants that get in all the guidebooks but have slipped in quality or are not as good as the guidebook writer stated.
Many guidebooks and such are written and updated by local freel ance writers and they are like the rest of us, they have their personal favorites and relationships with businesses.
"That also means plans change - accidents on roads, delays, drive times vary with detours, I appreciate an innkeeper not making it difficult and waiting up for me, and of course I will call and let them know we are delayed."
Of course they do and thats why we are here to be the voice of calm and assurance that everything will be fine when folks call and when they eventually get here. I'm not sure how an innkeeper displaying dedication to customer service by staying up for incoming guests makes it difficult for you the guest, but I'm all ears on how that is.
I also don't know how easy it is to get to your place, or how many directionally challenged guests you ever get, but we're in a rural location to get our fair share of them. I can't count the number of hugs I've gotten by guests who even with the printed map and directions we send with every confirmation, take a worng turn and are so grateful that I was up and with the phone to help guide them in. We get a fair share of solo women guests and they are enormously grateful to have a live voice on the other end of the phone if a problem or delay occurs, or in aiding them to get here if they get lost.
Hell, we've had a number of GPS junkies who have ignored the map & directions we send, because they and their new found toy know better and I end up on the phone with them finally guiding them in safe and sound.
If you run your B&B in an area with a huge proportion of very considerate people who always call when delayed, thats great.
"We should respect others way of doing things as it works for them in their situation."
Sounds good.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
I didn't think that Joe was referring to you when I read the post. I think Joe meant in general... we have a history here (and from the forum we were on before here) of strongly opinionated innkeepers (as if there were another kind!). And a history of wildly divergent opinions on inn operations. It was very helpful for me as I renovated and opened... I'd ask a question and half the forum would say "do it this way" and the other half would say "how can you possibly do it that way?" and a few others would do something else completely.
I think it's always best not to extrapolate... And again, I think Joe is referring to our history... one year here and multiple years at our previous forum. Someone starts a topic on bidets and we end up talking about dogs, tornados, or organic produce (or all three!).
We've had lots of contrary opinions over the years, which I've always appreciated for the balance of perspectives.
I think that depends on the size of your inn and your family situation. I only have four rooms, and my kids are just beginning homeschool. So I'm here to greet every guest. Others can't, or they literally would have no life (like that thread on When Enough is Enough). I don't say they should greet each, and I don't say I have no life. When I read something like this thread, which runs contrary to how I operate, I don't take it personally. [And I'm not trying to imply anything about you or anyone else...]
Every innkeeper is different, just as every inn's size, setup, and location is different. All we can do is post what works for us and wish blessings on the others who do it differently.
But no, I don't think Joe was referring to you. We've had some very firm voices in the past... heck, when I first joined this group four years ago someone told me they would never stay at an inn like what I described. I chalked it up to a poor description on my part and the vagaries of the electronic medium in terms of understanding nuances.
As someone who came on as aspiring, then expectant, and now perspiring innkeeper I agree with Joe's sentiment that I certainly hope aspirings will hear the various perspectives. There are some topics that this forum will never agree on (like taking payment on check-in or check-out) but the back and forth is always educational.
=)
Kk.

wink_smile.gif

InnsiderInfo said:
Yes, it is often astonishing how differently we all run our inns, and especially the difference between a larger and smaller inn. Both have their advantages... and their disadvantages! You could never do what I do (which is to ask each guest when they intend to arrive and meet them), it would be impossible! But there are things you are able to do which I simply cannot.
I love that about this forum... I learn so much from all the different perspectives!
=)
Kk.
I meant to ask, are folks pretty good about giving you a firm time? If so, do they generally stick to it? Our Webervations program asks for time of arrival and most people pick a time, but it's very rare that they get here at the time they said (although most really do get here between our posted check-in times, but the early and late check-ins seem to come in waves...so you get a bunch at once and that's when the griping starts on my end!).
P.S., how'd the photo shoot go?

wink_smile.gif

InnsiderInfo said:
=)
Kk.
I meant to ask, are folks pretty good about giving you a firm time? If so, do they generally stick to it? Our Webervations program asks for time of arrival and most people pick a time, but it's very rare that they get here at the time they said (although most really do get here between our posted check-in times, but the early and late check-ins seem to come in waves...so you get a bunch at once and that's when the griping starts on my end!).
InnsiderInfo said:
I'd say they're pretty good. If I talk to them on the phone I get a very accurate feel. Online it's more iffy... 3:00 might be 2:30 or 3:45, but it's still in the ballpark as far as I'm concerned. (The 2:30 arrival rang the bell and had to wait because we were at lunch with friends.) I figure a ballpark is fine... there's a big difference between 3-4 and 7-8! When I'm talking to them in person I say something like, "Do you have an idea of about what time you expect to arrive?" They then tell me when their plane lands, or where they're leaving from, or all kinds of interesting information. Like I said, a range is all I'm looking for.
And I would say that people are very good about calling if their plane is delayed or something comes up.
The photo shoot was grueling and I had to go fishing in the rain today to recover from it. I spent all day yesterday getting the rooms ready. Then we spent four hours trying to get perfect shots. Then I spent a couple more hours cleaning up.
I have to give the photographer credit... he originally came because he was doing a photo shoot for a client and needed to rent a room for a few hours. I asked to barter and he agreed. Well, his first set of shots were sooo disappointing! Everything at odd angles, and fish eyes, and the one room I really needed pics of was all rumpled from the shoot he'd just done. Ugh. So, I sent him an email with links to Swirt's advice page, and the page Swirt links to of an article on B&B photography, and a link to Jumping Rocks, saying that if I had a lot of money and a big fancy inn that's who I'd hire.
Well, he came back armed and ready with his widest angle lens, his tripod (way cooler than my $2 yard sale tripod!), and a willingness to have me look through the view finder and try to spot wires, wrinkles, or anything else. He took no fish eyes, no crooked shots (except maybe the ones of the ds5x2), and did three exposures of each so we can combine them and see both inside and what is outside the windows. He talked about what he'd read and seen and how to apply it here. So I am optimistic that this set of pictures will be much more usable! (They have to be! I don't know how we could do them any better!)
So, two of the rooms still need their "clutter" put back (alarm clocks, tissue boxes, wastepaper baskets, etc.) but the other two are set and the dining room, library, and patio are back to usual.
Thanks for asking!
=)
Kk.

wink_smile.gif

InnsiderInfo said:
=)
Kk.
InnsiderInfo said:
I'd say they're pretty good. If I talk to them on the phone I get a very accurate feel. Online it's more iffy... 3:00 might be 2:30 or 3:45, but it's still in the ballpark as far as I'm concerned. (The 2:30 arrival rang the bell and had to wait because we were at lunch with friends.) I figure a ballpark is fine... there's a big difference between 3-4 and 7-8! When I'm talking to them in person I say something like, "Do you have an idea of about what time you expect to arrive?" They then tell me when their plane lands, or where they're leaving from, or all kinds of interesting information. Like I said, a range is all I'm looking for.
And I would say that people are very good about calling if their plane is delayed or something comes up.
The photo shoot was grueling and I had to go fishing in the rain today to recover from it. I spent all day yesterday getting the rooms ready. Then we spent four hours trying to get perfect shots. Then I spent a couple more hours cleaning up.
I have to give the photographer credit... he originally came because he was doing a photo shoot for a client and needed to rent a room for a few hours. I asked to barter and he agreed. Well, his first set of shots were sooo disappointing! Everything at odd angles, and fish eyes, and the one room I really needed pics of was all rumpled from the shoot he'd just done. Ugh. So, I sent him an email with links to Swirt's advice page, and the page Swirt links to of an article on B&B photography, and a link to Jumping Rocks, saying that if I had a lot of money and a big fancy inn that's who I'd hire.
Well, he came back armed and ready with his widest angle lens, his tripod (way cooler than my $2 yard sale tripod!), and a willingness to have me look through the view finder and try to spot wires, wrinkles, or anything else. He took no fish eyes, no crooked shots (except maybe the ones of the ds5x2), and did three exposures of each so we can combine them and see both inside and what is outside the windows. He talked about what he'd read and seen and how to apply it here. So I am optimistic that this set of pictures will be much more usable! (They have to be! I don't know how we could do them any better!)
So, two of the rooms still need their "clutter" put back (alarm clocks, tissue boxes, wastepaper baskets, etc.) but the other two are set and the dining room, library, and patio are back to usual.
Thanks for asking!
=)
Kk.
Wow, being able to barter for photography is impressive! I'm so glad he put that much effort into it, and that you got to be very involved. I will be very excited to see the finished results.
I love that "three exposures" dealy, we had a lot of that here to get the views from the rooms...guests comment on that all the time and I really think it helps them choose. I do remember our photo shoot (for 9 rooms) being a total whirlwind...and we had just taken over the Inn a few months before, so I literally had no clue where to put things back when the photographers were finished! It is very tiring, I'm glad you got some fishing time to recover!
Maybe I can find it in the glossary, but what are "fish eyes"?

wink_smile.gif

InnsiderInfo said:
=)
Kk.
InnsiderInfo said:
Thanks for asking!
=)
Kk.
Wow, being able to barter for photography is impressive! I'm so glad he put that much effort into it, and that you got to be very involved. I will be very excited to see the finished results.
I love that "three exposures" dealy, we had a lot of that here to get the views from the rooms...guests comment on that all the time and I really think it helps them choose. I do remember our photo shoot (for 9 rooms) being a total whirlwind...and we had just taken over the Inn a few months before, so I literally had no clue where to put things back when the photographers were finished! It is very tiring, I'm glad you got some fishing time to recover!
InnsiderInfo said:
Fish eye is a type of lens that makes the object of the photo seem to be viewed from the eye of a fish. So it is kind of rounded at the edges and weirdly focused. I think Junie B posted some pix she took with a borrowed lens. Here's an example.

It's not in the glossary, but Bree described it perfectly. On Swirt's website (I think) it is described as giving your website a fun house feel. I have to admit... when you jumped from "fishing time to recover" to "what are fish eyes?" my first thought was not about camera lenses...
We bartered, but if the pics are as usable as I hope they are I think I'll cut the guy a check... he was here a long time! I can't begin to imagine what it would have been like for nine guest rooms! (Although, technically, he did nine if you count Dining Room, Library, Hall, Smoking Salon, and Patio in addition to the four guest rooms.)
And thank goodness I put it all back in order... we had an unexpected, and very welcome, surprise of two rooms for two nights this evening... all I had to do was clean the kitchen!
=)
Kk.

It's not in the glossary, but Bree described it perfectly. On Swirt's website (I think) it is described as giving your website a fun house feel. I have to admit... when you jumped from "fishing time to recover" to "what are fish eyes?" my first thought was not about camera lenses...
We bartered, but if the pics are as usable as I hope they are I think I'll cut the guy a check... he was here a long time! I can't begin to imagine what it would have been like for nine guest rooms! (Although, technically, he did nine if you count Dining Room, Library, Hall, Smoking Salon, and Patio in addition to the four guest rooms.)
And thank goodness I put it all back in order... we had an unexpected, and very welcome, surprise of two rooms for two nights this evening... all I had to do was clean the kitchen!
=)
Kk..
*lol* I didn't realize I made that jump from "fishing" to "fish eyes"...I'm sort of a stream of consciousness typer!
Thanks to you both for clarifying, I know what you are talking about.

wink_smile.gif

InnsiderInfo said:
=)
Kk.
InnsiderInfo said:
Thanks for asking!
=)
Kk.
That's great that so much time was spent by the photographer. I am sure the results will be worth it.
So many times people hire a photographer and are "stuck" with those first round of pics that you were disapointed with. Photographing a room is sooo different than photographing a wedding. It is great that you schooled him and he came back to do it right. Sometimes photographers are "artsy" and it offends them to be schooled.

wink_smile.gif

InnsiderInfo said:
=)
Kk.
InnsiderInfo said:
Thanks for asking!
=)
Kk.
That's great that so much time was spent by the photographer. I am sure the results will be worth it.
So many times people hire a photographer and are "stuck" with those first round of pics that you were disapointed with. Photographing a room is sooo different than photographing a wedding. It is great that you schooled him and he came back to do it right. Sometimes photographers are "artsy" and it offends them to be schooled.
swirt said:
Yes, I agree completely. I think this guy is young enough that he's willing to learn, and I think he took it as a challenge to learn something different than he'd done before. He stood in two different bathtubs to get shots (one where the bubbles were still subsiding) and commented that now he'd done everything in photography. I told him not everything yet, but one more thing off the list.
But I really think his desire to get it right, and learn something new, was what brought him back for the second try and kept him here so long. And I definitely gave him a new perspective on how to be anal... how to see seams of lampshades and wrinkles in pillow cases.
Meanwhile, we got the shoot done just in time! The two suprise guests yesterday are so happy they went in to work today and told a colleague who'll be coming by before lunch. He'll be here 5 nights (would be 8 but I'm full), and then back again a bunch of times as he's in the process of moving here. Peak season is upon us! YAY!
(So much for fishing...)
shades_smile.gif

=)
Kk.

If DH checks you in, it will be a 15 minute tour and he will probably not offer a restroom or take care of running your credit card. With me, I now cover the essentials in about 5 minutes and let the guests relax and get settled. I'm still training him up
wink_smile.gif

Back