Don't say this!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Whatever you do, please, I implore you, when you have an upset guest for whatever reason...don't say "I understand how you feel" that is the most irritating thing in the world. Listen to the person, nod, make eye contact, whatever you need to do, but don't say "I understand how you feel" cuz you don't.
Just wanted to bring that up.

Why can't we understand how they feel? i thought this is empathy 101. I understand you. I hear you. It puts you on the side of the customer in that you understand why they are upset about what happened. You maybe can't fix it but you would if you could.
Crud, i bet i say that all the time.

Todd, there is no empathy cuz you don't know how they feel. Saying it does not make it so.
Hearing them and having compassion or empathy is what you want, but don't tell them when they are emotional (which is the case 99% of the time with any issue, any complaint) you understand how they feel. You may try "I would probably feel the same way!" or something. Or try "I understand" but ditch the touchy-feely part, as you don't understand how THEY FEEL.
Jus' sayin...
tounge_smile.gif

Timely! I attended a customer service workshop yesterday. One thing she said - DO NOT SAY i UNDERSTAND HOW YOU FEEL! You cannot understand how she feels because YOU ARE NOT HER! what triggers you may not trigger someone else. HER life experiences are not the same as yours.
Just as how I operate in a small inn in a small city is different from those in big inns in big cities and how our guests differ. That is why I cannot understand how you feel but can understand the situation.

I guess i was assuming it was a common customer issue. "There is no hot water and I just took a cold shower!" I can probably get a good idea of where they are coming from on that.
But this is why I try and read this stuff as I am very literal. i was also informed by an x that I am very direct. Both are not that great for customer relations.

Timely! I attended a customer service workshop yesterday. One thing she said - DO NOT SAY i UNDERSTAND HOW YOU FEEL! You cannot understand how she feels because YOU ARE NOT HER! what triggers you may not trigger someone else. HER life experiences are not the same as yours.
Just as how I operate in a small inn in a small city is different from those in big inns in big cities and how our guests differ. That is why I cannot understand how you feel but can understand the situation..
gillumhouse said:
Just as how I operate in a small inn in a small city is different from those in big inns in big cities and how our guests differ. That is why I cannot understand how you feel but can understand the situation.
How about saying, "Don't get yer panties in a wad!"

I used to work with a girl on reception and when I guest used to come with a problem she used to say "its not my fault" this is also like a red rag to a bull! cos unless you can say its not my fault but I can produce the person who's fault it is Ta Da they just don't care it is all about solutions not problems. I have the shower thing a lot cos we have electric showers and people turn them off and then try and have a shower. DUH no hot water

Back