Doo Doo Effect

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
This is just a story to illustrate what it is like running an inn with there being two of you. I read recently of someone who wanted to have a "partner" share all the work and expense.
A bird splattered the upstairs window of a guest room, bombed it! I did my best to try to get the hose spray up to the window to try to eliminate ('scuse the pun) this waste off the window. To no avail. I cannot get to it via the inside, itis on the outside of the torm window, there is no easement out there or roof.
I asked da man to help, he is at work, he comes home and works at the inn, he has ten irons in the fire. I told him I have someone in that room, it was not a priority for him. I asked him for two days.
I am totally embarassed by this, it is not a big deal, but checking into a room with a window covered in bird
potty-mouth.gif
is not my idea of a nice B&B stay...
These are the little things that you can butt heads on, when one thinks something is important, and the other doesn't. Just thought I would share this story, I am not complaining about this, just matter of factly. He left to go buy some parts for the whipper snipper that blew up last night, after mowing the lawns for 2 hours. Meanwhile we put the porch back together, until next week when he can paint, and then do another section.
I appreciate all he does, as it is never ending in this old place...

Yes, the priority list - yours/theirs, it never matches does it! Same here!

OMG!! I could have written this post! DH does an awful lot around here...in addition to working a full time job with an office that is about 90 minutes drive. BUT...it seems that anything that is on my priority list automatically falls to the bottom of his but for no other reason that it's on mine!!! Sometimes I feel like I have to jump up and down and scream and yell to get something accomplished!

Yes, the priority list - yours/theirs, it never matches does it! Same here!.
It kind of resembles the What guests think we do.....What we do pictures. What we think is important...... What they think is important...

This is one of the reasons I have a window cleaner once a month and as the design for the new windows when they went in I can pull them inwards (if that makes any sence) and clean them myself if this happens ie don't have to hang from the roof 3 stories up!. As I do a renovation I try and design it to make my life easier. Its the roof and gutters next!

"She" is always rattling off a list of things she wants "Him" to do. He always asks her to write them down, listed in priority order....
aka, the "Honey Do" list.

"She" is always rattling off a list of things she wants "Him" to do. He always asks her to write them down, listed in priority order....
aka, the "Honey Do" list..
Harborfields said:
The list is long my friend... things like this don't make the list, these are "ocurrences" :) I actually call them putting out fires, when we have guests checked in especially, water heater stops working, smoke detectors beeping, heat pump blows up...etc.
Actually, as I mentioned to another innmate in the past, "HE" said the day you make out a list for me is the day I stop working." He won't be micromanaged by "the list."
So as much as I am a list maker - just see my outlook calendar it is day after day for a year of reminders and info and lists. I do not make lists for "HE" and sadly he has jumped the priority of late, feeling something else was a priorty over another.

Need to come up with some sort of code for "occurrences" -- Do it right now (or else!)

aka, the "Honey Do" list..
Harborfields said:
The list is long my friend... things like this don't make the list, these are "ocurrences" :) I actually call them putting out fires, when we have guests checked in especially, water heater stops working, smoke detectors beeping, heat pump blows up...etc.
Actually, as I mentioned to another innmate in the past, "HE" said the day you make out a list for me is the day I stop working." He won't be micromanaged by "the list."
So as much as I am a list maker - just see my outlook calendar it is day after day for a year of reminders and info and lists. I do not make lists for "HE" and sadly he has jumped the priority of late, feeling something else was a priorty over another.
Amen to that, sistuh! From one list maker to another... The newest line that I get when I try to get dh to tackle the project list for these old houses is, "When am I supposed to do my projects?" Huh? Aren't these projects for the property that we jointly own?
A cautionary tale to any aspirings out there. This is one of the reasons why we no longer have a B&B business...

See at least you have husbands/wives who are a bit handy mine can't even do flat packs! Im not bad to be fair but I also have
1- handyman who is also a bathroom fitter and tiler and is very easy to work with ie I would like this doing please "yes thats fine I'll get my tools"
2- painter and decorator who is lovely and super fast and very good price.
3- secondary handyman who is handy and bit of plumbing but limited English so we have to interpret through my chamber maid sometimes.
4- Gas man who is helpful with the hotwater tank but can't do the huge new boiler we have put in.
5- excellent fire alarm servicing and fire extinguisher company 2/3 cheaper than the next company and also very professional (ie come when they say they will, smart uniform, very quick, report comes within 3 days etc) it is sad when people providing the service they say they will is a surprise!

Back