Door locks

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcam

Reaction score
found the discussion of various locks - we want to put code locks on the new place front and back doors and possibly rooms as well so looking for something cost effective - suggestions? also guest easy to use (ie idiot proof)

I use Schlage keypad locks, and mine are Zwave-connected so I can remotely program them (add, remove user codes, set dates the codes start working and stop working). I'm sure Yale is a good brand too. I have 15 of the Schlage locks (the ones on supply closets don't need the Zwave) and have never had one give me any problem.
It's WONDERFUL to not have to deal with keys. And since the locks will hold 19 different codes at a time, all the staff has their own code, so if one leaves me, I just delete their code and everybody else keeps using the code they're used to. Much better than having to re-key all the locks every time.
Schlage_Electronic_Key_Pad_Locks.jpg

I use Schlage keypad locks, and mine are Zwave-connected so I can remotely program them (add, remove user codes, set dates the codes start working and stop working). I'm sure Yale is a good brand too. I have 15 of the Schlage locks (the ones on supply closets don't need the Zwave) and have never had one give me any problem.
It's WONDERFUL to not have to deal with keys. And since the locks will hold 19 different codes at a time, all the staff has their own code, so if one leaves me, I just delete their code and everybody else keeps using the code they're used to. Much better than having to re-key all the locks every time.
That looks like the one we have. All manual, tho. But, I'm here on site so not a biggie to program. It would be nice as I'm driving away and realize I forgot to delete all the codes and I'm going to be gone for a week!
We're thinking of getting them for all the rooms. One issue I see coming up is we often have a lot of guests checking in at the same time. I don't want to hand out pieces of paper with door codes and I wouldn't be able to tell the guest the code in front of everyone else.

That looks like the one we have. All manual, tho. But, I'm here on site so not a biggie to program. It would be nice as I'm driving away and realize I forgot to delete all the codes and I'm going to be gone for a week!
We're thinking of getting them for all the rooms. One issue I see coming up is we often have a lot of guests checking in at the same time. I don't want to hand out pieces of paper with door codes and I wouldn't be able to tell the guest the code in front of everyone else.
Just make the code the last 4 digits of the contact phone number and tell them in your confirmation. Then if they forget when checking in..just say "its the last 4 digits of your,( home or cell) phone number"

Arks and I have the exact same front-door lock! I feel so proud!

Just make the code the last 4 digits of the contact phone number and tell them in your confirmation. Then if they forget when checking in..just say "its the last 4 digits of your,( home or cell) phone number"
EmptyNest said:
Door codes are not given until payment is secured. Too many cards are bad by the the guest arrives. Imagine me trying to control early arrivals everyone had their code before i answered the door!
Too many guests never get their confirmation. (I've had two calls today asking if their room was confirmed as they hadn't heard from us. Both confirmations had been sent ages ago.)
And, 75% of guests have no idea what their phone number is, what phone number they gave us, whose phone number they used to make the reservation. It's amazing! (Really. You should be here at check in. Everyone is looking for paper to write this mystery number down. I even say it's the last 4 of your phone number. I get back - that's not my number. Oh! Wait! That's my old work number. Why, then, did you give us a useless phone number?)
And, no one reads.

EmptyNest said:
Door codes are not given until payment is secured. Too many cards are bad by the the guest arrives. Imagine me trying to control early arrivals everyone had their code before i answered the door!
Too many guests never get their confirmation. (I've had two calls today asking if their room was confirmed as they hadn't heard from us. Both confirmations had been sent ages ago.)
And, 75% of guests have no idea what their phone number is, what phone number they gave us, whose phone number they used to make the reservation. It's amazing! (Really. You should be here at check in. Everyone is looking for paper to write this mystery number down. I even say it's the last 4 of your phone number. I get back - that's not my number. Oh! Wait! That's my old work number. Why, then, did you give us a useless phone number?)
And, no one reads.
What annie's guest house does is give people a post it with it on - they loose it means nothing to anyone else.

Have the Schlage above in antique brass, blends right into this 1880s house, manual version.
Yes to last four digits of phone number.
And unless they are repeats, no one knows until arrival when we give it to them on their credit card receipt (and 50% or more are awed by the coinkydink that we have omnisciently matched their phone number
omg_smile.gif
). Prevents early arrivals from entry.

Have the Schlage above in antique brass, blends right into this 1880s house, manual version.
Yes to last four digits of phone number.
And unless they are repeats, no one knows until arrival when we give it to them on their credit card receipt (and 50% or more are awed by the coinkydink that we have omnisciently matched their phone number
omg_smile.gif
). Prevents early arrivals from entry.
Writing it on their receipt would work.

EmptyNest said:
And, no one reads.
Oh good grief!!! You always have some sort of issue with guests. I just don't know how you put up with it all. I would be bonkers by now.
Don't do it until secured payment arrives. If they give you an old number its their fault. Gheez.

EmptyNest said:
And, no one reads.
Oh good grief!!! You always have some sort of issue with guests. I just don't know how you put up with it all. I would be bonkers by now.
Don't do it until secured payment arrives. If they give you an old number its their fault. Gheez.
EmptyNest said:
I don't know any better now. Nothing else I know how to do! Maybe when my book gets published I'll retire...

I recently got a door fitted up by heritage home design windows and doors, my nearest window service http://www.heritagehomedesign.ca/. Getting a solid wooden door is the best way to be safe and install a deadbolt, door locks can easily be broken down if you don’t reinforce it on a regular basis. A deadbolt saves the hassle of reinforcing your lock on a regular basis and makes the door stronger and more burglar proof.

Back