Door sealer to make a door shut more quietly?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
has anyone installed a door sealer or a slide on door sweep to make a wooden interior door shut more quietly?
my room is right next to the bathroom and if someone does not deliberately close the door softly, it slams shut. if i'm asleep, it will wake me. even if i'm awake, it's jarring and annoying. some of my housemates and their guests are very quiet, a few are loud and all the asking in the world does not stop the noisy door closing.
i am looking at the door sealer for the bottom of the door we installed at the b&b to block out light from some of the really 'gappy' doors.
has anyone used this with success for quieting a door when closing? very very old house, old frames, etc.
or do you have another suggestion?
i've heard of taking out pins and bending them with a hammer and such but i am NOT mechanical and don't want to damage anything. i just am really tired of the door slamming.

does the door have a closer on? this can be loosened or changed for a softer model? if it is the weight of the door which it may be in an old house something like a really firm (we call them brush) that you fit to the bottom of the door to keep out draughts might just hold it back a bit

Our house is 100 now and I think I know what you mean - unless consciously closed gently, the door has a slamming sound. I think it is the looseness of the door between the jamb (lock-side of door). Perhaps a bit of weather stripping on the doorframe (lock-side) to make it a tighter fit so less "rattle"? As I was typing this DH went into our room and easy close is not in his make up - a dull slam! or maybe it was a THUD - either way, a waker.

We put a thin strip of weather stripping on the door frame. It helps, but not a lot.

We put a thin strip of weather stripping on the door frame. It helps, but not a lot..
Breakfast Diva said:
We put a thin strip of weather stripping on the door frame. It helps, but not a lot.
We did that, too and now the guests can't get the door closed. Can't win. This door is right outside my bedroom. I hear them working at it. Some people have opened and closed it 5-6 times trying to get the deadbolt locked. Just TURN the damn knob! Then they have to test it. And the whole thing starts all over again. A lot of them do just slam it even tho I have a nice sign on it that explains it needs a little push to close. why a little push when a big slam will do the trick. But it doesn't. Slamming it causes it to bounce open.

We put a thin strip of weather stripping on the door frame. It helps, but not a lot..
Breakfast Diva said:
We did that, too and now the guests can't get the door closed. Can't win. This door is right outside my bedroom. I hear them working at it. Some people have opened and closed it 5-6 times trying to get the deadbolt locked. Just TURN the damn knob! Then they have to test it. And the whole thing starts all over again. A lot of them do just slam it even tho I have a nice sign on it that explains it needs a little push to close. why a little push when a big slam will do the trick. But it doesn't. Slamming it causes it to bounce open.
I hear ya! They have to tug/push slightly on the door to lock it. Our problem is when their back door to their room or window/s are open. When the door is open for any reason, the wonderful cool breeze takes the door and slams it. It's the only door in the whole place that has a problem. Fortunately, we don't live near it!

thank you for your suggestions.
was awakened 5 times last night by someone sick in the night. enough!!

We put small bumpers on a couple of our door frames to cut down on the slamming noise. It helped a bit, but basically when someone slams one of these hefty old doors, it's going to make some noise!

Back