Door slammers competition

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virginia

Reaction score
This week end there was a two day triathalon event in our area and we had several guests who were competing. Of course they all wanted oatmeal, granola, yogurts, fresh muffins and fruit at 6.15am on both days.
The inn was full with others not involved in the event, nevertheless those selfish early birds marched around the place slamming front doors, back doors and room doors on top of having loud conversations together in the hall ways. What is it with door slammers, why do they feel it is their right to wake up the entire place just because they are up? Grrrrr!

As a guest, I hate those types when I'm staying in a hotel.....it's even more irritating when they're at a b&b! Hopefully your other guests will know that it's not typical and will have just gone back to sleep.
Take a deep breath, it's out of your control. If it's an annual event, try to fill up next year with only people doing the event or at least you can mention to the atheletes the night before to be aware that there are others sleeping that early in the morning.

As a guest, I hate those types when I'm staying in a hotel.....it's even more irritating when they're at a b&b! Hopefully your other guests will know that it's not typical and will have just gone back to sleep.
Take a deep breath, it's out of your control. If it's an annual event, try to fill up next year with only people doing the event or at least you can mention to the atheletes the night before to be aware that there are others sleeping that early in the morning..
Great ideas - thanks B. Diva
They are coming next year as they wrote it in the guest book - "See you for Savage Man 2012" That says it all doesn't it?

Some people are so thoughtless.
We get this sometimes with early risers. Banging doors and then instead of immediately coming down for breakfast they stand on the lanidng outside other peoples rooms having a conversation. It's even worse when they are a group in two rooms, and they come out of their individual rooms and stand there talking.
I've been up stairs before and said "DO you think you could keep the noise down, not everyone wants an early breakfast".

Many times the very early risers are the older people, who yell when they speak. It is okay if one gets up, but then they come and find you and want to hold a conversation up a few decibels. Worst case scenario when there is an early event is the HAIR DRYER going and people shouting over it, bathrooms being mostly tiled, it is a real kill joy for the entire inn!

PRE-EMPT! let them know when they check in (better yet put a note on the bed) that you understand that they may be getting up early and to please be considerate of other guests by keeping noise levels down in the early morning
Often we "expect" that guests know these things - they don't, so "reminding them nicely" will often, but not always alleviate the issue

I am planning to do just that - Moun tain Fest only next year or stay empty. Trying to accomodate "civilians" during an event we are so seriously involved with is not worth the effort - or the dollars. I am offering a rate to make it worthwhile for Vintage exhibitors to drive the 45 min and savor MY breakfasts rather than pay the high rate at the hotel in town. Now if it is folks wanting to attend - full rate will apply.

I am planning to do just that - Moun tain Fest only next year or stay empty. Trying to accomodate "civilians" during an event we are so seriously involved with is not worth the effort - or the dollars. I am offering a rate to make it worthwhile for Vintage exhibitors to drive the 45 min and savor MY breakfasts rather than pay the high rate at the hotel in town. Now if it is folks wanting to attend - full rate will apply..
we push for exhibitors for 3 reasons (1) they usually come every year so know where eveything is and don't particularly need directions etc. (2)they are busy all day with whatever they have come for so out from under my feet (3) usually stay longer ie arrive the day before to set up and a day after to shut down. Oh and 4 their special requests are always more interesting - ie can I have 500 coat hangers delivered?, do you have any large cardboard boxes or know where I can get some? can I have 5000 leiflets on microbiology delivered?

Hate to hang signs but I finally had to post one on the exterior door to one of our rooms: Please close door gently. Slamming door knocks the pictures off the wall upstairs. Thank you.
Works almost everytime now.
But the loud talkers? I try to herd them into the dining room. They think standing in the living room is ok. No, that's 3 rooms you can wake up!

Back