Doors open/doors closed?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Just thought I'd bring this up again from a guest perspective. We usually leave our guestroom doors open in spite of being taken advantage of numerous times by guests using multiple bathrooms. I like to have the air circulating and have all the natural light shining.
So, the guest perspective at night? I'm walking down a long hallway with doors open on either side and those rooms are pitch black...cue up Jack Nicholson intoning, 'Heeeere's Johnny' (The Shining)...it's creepy!
I'm closing the doors from now on.

I do not go upstairs unless cleaning or taking up laundry/flowers/fruit baskets/plates of pretzels...... So the open doors do not bother me. I also do not live in the vicinity of Stephen King.......

I do not go upstairs unless cleaning or taking up laundry/flowers/fruit baskets/plates of pretzels...... So the open doors do not bother me. I also do not live in the vicinity of Stephen King........
The idea was that the guest will see the open doorways if they are the only guests and the doors are open. Still, it was creepy for me and I know the house! Some guests here would walk past 5 open doors and one would have to walk past the doors to get to their bathroom. Which was really the issue the other night...walking thru the hallway in my jammies even with the downstairs light on those rooms were deep and dark!

open when no guests are in house to circulate the air, but closed (and locked) when even one guest checks in ...
you know the issues of creased up beds from other guests testing them and dirty toilets from other guests using them ... and once or twice, using a different shower! unreal.
i used to put on a light in the vacant rooms at nite because i thought it made the place look busier from outside and i felt more comfortable inside. i can creep myself out sometimes!

I do not go upstairs unless cleaning or taking up laundry/flowers/fruit baskets/plates of pretzels...... So the open doors do not bother me. I also do not live in the vicinity of Stephen King........
The idea was that the guest will see the open doorways if they are the only guests and the doors are open. Still, it was creepy for me and I know the house! Some guests here would walk past 5 open doors and one would have to walk past the doors to get to their bathroom. Which was really the issue the other night...walking thru the hallway in my jammies even with the downstairs light on those rooms were deep and dark!
We stayed at "the lodge" as only guests. The other 32 rooms were empty and open. Thinking back, that did not creep me out--even had to use a bath across the hall. Window curtains were open, so rooms were not completely dark. What did creep me out was the handy-man help appearing and disappearing during the day via the front and back stairs. He was probably trying to stay out of our way, but it seemed he was everywhere!

We stayed at "the lodge" as only guests. The other 32 rooms were empty and open. Thinking back, that did not creep me out--even had to use a bath across the hall. Window curtains were open, so rooms were not completely dark. What did creep me out was the handy-man help appearing and disappearing during the day via the front and back stairs. He was probably trying to stay out of our way, but it seemed he was everywhere!
This is just for fun, but I have to tell this story...I saw The Shining at the drive in during a raging storm. After that, we drove over to where we were staying which was a converted piggery. Long, long hallway with all these rooms off it (that used to be the stalls for the pigs). Bathroom across the hall. But not just a 'bathroom,' a locker room style bathroom with all these showers and change areas, all with these thin white curtains billowing in the breeze from the door being opened. Dark as could be, no locks on the doors. Brrr!
OK, I'm creeping myself out again!

This is just for fun, but I have to tell this story...I saw The Shining at the drive in during a raging storm. After that, we drove over to where we were staying which was a converted piggery. Long, long hallway with all these rooms off it (that used to be the stalls for the pigs). Bathroom across the hall. But not just a 'bathroom,' a locker room style bathroom with all these showers and change areas, all with these thin white curtains billowing in the breeze from the door being opened. Dark as could be, no locks on the doors. Brrr!
O.K. you gave me goose-bumps! Too Too Creepy! Don't thing I would go to that bath alone! Wasn't going to mention The Shining, but that is our point of reference for the lodge...

I might have told this story before, so if you've already read it, I apologize, but when I was in high school, I worked in the housekeeping department of a local hotel. One day, the manager handed me The Shining and told me I might recognize some things in it. As I read it, I realized that some of the early parts are set in my hometown, and there were places I knew! It was so exciting.
Then the fun began.
Part of my job was to provide "quality assurance" and check the rooms after they had been serviced, so they could be released for incoming guests. For a period of several weeks, if I came across a closed bathroom door, or a shower curtain drawn up tight . . . well, let's just say the benefit of the doubt was granted, and the room was quickly declared ready for occupancy!
One day, word came out that two rooms on the first floor were going into long-term occupancy, and NO service of any kind would be required. No bed making, no vacuuming, no fresh towels. Nothing. For at least six weeks. We never saw anyone coming or going, and the curtains were drawn up tight so nothing was visible from the outside. So, of course, after about four weeks we (my high-school friend and I) couldn't stand it anymore, and made the executive decision that the hotel standards must be upheld, and the room MUST be checked immediately!
I have never seen so many cameras in one place in my life. They were everywhere, on and off tripods, in and out of those aluminum cases. Every square inch -- including the beds -- not occupied by photography equipment was piled high with files and pictures of people and places. It seemed SOMEBODY was being watched. The FBI was involved, no doubt, and our little hotel was base camp!
There was also a copy of The Shining. Dorky, slow me thought, "Hey, that's the book I'm reading! What a coincidence!" Then I started noticing the pictures. They were of the places from the book. We finally connected the dots and realized it was not the FBI in those rooms. It was the location scout from the movie studio.

I might have told this story before, so if you've already read it, I apologize, but when I was in high school, I worked in the housekeeping department of a local hotel. One day, the manager handed me The Shining and told me I might recognize some things in it. As I read it, I realized that some of the early parts are set in my hometown, and there were places I knew! It was so exciting.
Then the fun began.
Part of my job was to provide "quality assurance" and check the rooms after they had been serviced, so they could be released for incoming guests. For a period of several weeks, if I came across a closed bathroom door, or a shower curtain drawn up tight . . . well, let's just say the benefit of the doubt was granted, and the room was quickly declared ready for occupancy!
One day, word came out that two rooms on the first floor were going into long-term occupancy, and NO service of any kind would be required. No bed making, no vacuuming, no fresh towels. Nothing. For at least six weeks. We never saw anyone coming or going, and the curtains were drawn up tight so nothing was visible from the outside. So, of course, after about four weeks we (my high-school friend and I) couldn't stand it anymore, and made the executive decision that the hotel standards must be upheld, and the room MUST be checked immediately!
I have never seen so many cameras in one place in my life. They were everywhere, on and off tripods, in and out of those aluminum cases. Every square inch -- including the beds -- not occupied by photography equipment was piled high with files and pictures of people and places. It seemed SOMEBODY was being watched. The FBI was involved, no doubt, and our little hotel was base camp!
There was also a copy of The Shining. Dorky, slow me thought, "Hey, that's the book I'm reading! What a coincidence!" Then I started noticing the pictures. They were of the places from the book. We finally connected the dots and realized it was not the FBI in those rooms. It was the location scout from the movie studio.
Cool Beans!

Then the fun began.
Neat!

Morticia, I have the same situation. I did put in night lights so that helps to ease the creepiness.

We lock ours because when we left them open on more than one occasion we found people had slept in beds that wern't their room when they couldn't remember what room they were in and tried doors till they found one open. But we do leave windows open a crack to make sure air circulates. But the doors shut themselves as its a legal requirement in this country due to fire regulations all the doors have to have closers.

Then the fun began.
great story!

We lock ours because when we left them open on more than one occasion we found people had slept in beds that wern't their room when they couldn't remember what room they were in and tried doors till they found one open. But we do leave windows open a crack to make sure air circulates. But the doors shut themselves as its a legal requirement in this country due to fire regulations all the doors have to have closers..
Camberley said:
We lock ours because when we left them open on more than one occasion we found people had slept in beds that weren't their room .
Same thing here. I always keep the doors closed. I even had guests use showers/bathrooms/jacuzzis that weren't theirs because they had access to them. Since I don't need more work, those doors stay closed!

Back