Down Comes the Wallpaper!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
In less than 1 hour, Gomez has pretty much stripped the entire living room of wallpaper (above the chair rail). By 1 PM the room should be done and ready to prep to paint. Ya gotta love people who do the right prep work for those who follow later and want to change things. He hasn't even turned the steamer on! The paper is just peeling off in one continuous strip, border included! I was running ahead of him taking down artwork and removing faceplates. He was catching up!

Yep, someone did it right the first time. My pet peeve actually is going to strip wallpaper and finding that the walls weren't sized when the wallpaper went up. Takes so little time upfront but creates a nightmare afterwards if it's not done.

You mean the brown backer paper is actually coming off with the wallpaper???? WOW I have never had that happen. There is some wall paper I would love to take down here, but there is another 60's paper under it and I know it would be an absolute nightmare. I don't mind the paper, I am just tired of it...so I guess I will leave it for the next owners to deal with. My shoulder isn't ready yet to do that kind of work.:)

You mean the brown backer paper is actually coming off with the wallpaper???? WOW I have never had that happen. There is some wall paper I would love to take down here, but there is another 60's paper under it and I know it would be an absolute nightmare. I don't mind the paper, I am just tired of it...so I guess I will leave it for the next owners to deal with. My shoulder isn't ready yet to do that kind of work.:).
Look at the photos on the blog...paper came down in whole strips, border included! The OO did the work right the first time!

Woo Hoo! So glad for you. Good luck with the painting. We are painting *gasp* the owner's living room this week...YAY!!!!!

You mean the brown backer paper is actually coming off with the wallpaper???? WOW I have never had that happen. There is some wall paper I would love to take down here, but there is another 60's paper under it and I know it would be an absolute nightmare. I don't mind the paper, I am just tired of it...so I guess I will leave it for the next owners to deal with. My shoulder isn't ready yet to do that kind of work.:).
Look at the photos on the blog...paper came down in whole strips, border included! The OO did the work right the first time!
I just did. Don't you strip off that backer paper??? I never leave that on the wall. I get down to bare wall before I would do any painting. Are you using laxtex paint? That paper may bubble up once you start painting. Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't leave that brown stuff on wall.

that's awesome!
in my old place, i couldn't get the border off the top edge of the walls and had 3 days to change paint from pepto-b pink with floral and ribbons border to a more neutral coffee color. so i ended up putting a border on top of the old one. i've since heard how 'slipshod' a painter i must be to have done that, but it was the best i could in short time. that border was a nightmare! it was also papering a popcorn ceiling section where moulding would have been. so it was all bumpy under the border.
confused_smile.gif

I just did. Don't you strip off that backer paper??? I never leave that on the wall. I get down to bare wall before I would do any painting. Are you using laxtex paint? That paper may bubble up once you start painting. Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't leave that brown stuff on wall.
catlady said:
That's the sizing, it's not the paper! The entire strip of paper, backing included came off in one piece. We'll wash the walls to get the 'stickiness' off from the paste.

Woo Hoo! So glad for you. Good luck with the painting. We are painting *gasp* the owner's living room this week...YAY!!!!!.
Our space will be done once this is finished. Yay for me, too! We're going to paint the ceiling in the common room, it needs it. And the trim. Our space HAS to have the ceiling painted, the PO's had a woodstove they didn't use properly. 'Nuff said.

catlady said:
That's the sizing, it's not the paper! The entire strip of paper, backing included came off in one piece. We'll wash the walls to get the 'stickiness' off from the paste.
Well GOOD JOB THEN!!!! Have fun painting. Let us know when you post a pic.

In 2/12 years, I've stripped 29 walls of wallpaper!! And, I'm not done yet!! Fortunately I've only encountered one wall that was painted over, and two spaces with multiple layers (two bathrooms - 3 layers). All of the walls were sized (than God!) and DH bought me a Wagner steamer for the job. It works great!
You really have to scrub all the paste off the walls thoroughly. If you don't, in 6 months or so, you'll end up with this crackle-effect on the painted wall. What a mess!

Back