Downstairs Restroom

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banana

Reaction score
I have a small bathroom downstairs (all guest rooms are upstairs and ensuite) that is located in a hallway on the way out to the pool, but is also between the kitchen door and the dining room. I don't point this bathroom out to anyone, but people manage to find it, even if the door is shut. I don't want to put a "private" sign on it because I welcome the pool users to it, so they won't drip all the way upstairs to their room. The problem is, that once they find it, one of them will always come down before breakfast (actually, any time of day, but usually in the morning) and use it to..."go #2" (really, how do you say it politely?). Again, centrally located between the kitchen and dining room, and although there is room spray in there (no exhaust fan), it manages to waft out. I find it extremely rude that people can't "do their duty" in their own bathroom. I guess they don't want to stink up their own bathroom while their partner is showering, but it drives me crazy. One man actually used it several times during the day (it's also right across the hallway from my quarters, so I know when someone goes in there), and I asked him "Is everything okay with your private bath?" Hello, hint, hint!!! He didn't care...came right back down whenever he wanted to and used it several more times.
I don't think there is a solution to this, I guess I just wanted to vent and see if others have this same issue. Am I wrong in thinking this is rude behavior?

Can you lock it before and during breakfast? They will think someone else in in there.

Can you lock it before and during breakfast? They will think someone else in in there..
That's what I would do....lock it when I went to bed at night & re-open well after the guests were gone for the day. Or open it only for the times that you want the pool folks to have access.

I have a downstairs powder room and have the same thing happen occasionally but not frequently. I think locking it would be the only way to go. Mine does have an exhaust fan, so it's a little better, but it is right between the two dining rooms. I'm always surprised too - I would much rather be in the privacy of my own bathroom - but what can you do? You might try one of those odor absorbing gels rather than the spray freshener. Something you can leave out all the time.

We have had guests get up from the table and walk into our laundry room because they 'found' it while poking around late at night. Holy cow! This 'bathroom' is where we have the trash waiting to be taken out, the dirty laundry, etc. You can't wash your hands in the sink and, yes, the smell carries right out into the kitchen/dining area while people are eating!
I told Gomez that I don't care how far either of us has to walk to get to our own bathroom, that one is never to be used in the morning for anything that would scare the guests!
Anyway, I like Joey's idea of locking the door in the morning, basically until the pool is in use, which I'm guessing is afternoon-ish. However, be prepared for guests to demand you open the door.
Yes, guests will use any bathroom at all, including another guest's bathroom if the door is open/unlocked. We have to lock all the guest rooms when we go to bed to avoid this.

We have a detached, private bath in a second floor hallway and if it is unoccupied this always happens to us as well. And it is 100% of the time the husbands...no, they do not want privacy it's some kind of weird "marking their territory" thing and they are proud of it! And they always leave the toilet seat up and the door wide open when they are finished.
I'd lock it in the mornings, if someone demands it be opened just say someone must be using it if it's locked.

We have a detached, private bath in a second floor hallway and if it is unoccupied this always happens to us as well. And it is 100% of the time the husbands...no, they do not want privacy it's some kind of weird "marking their territory" thing and they are proud of it! And they always leave the toilet seat up and the door wide open when they are finished.
I'd lock it in the mornings, if someone demands it be opened just say someone must be using it if it's locked..
I look at it differently...not 'marking territory' but I've seen this sort of attitude about a lot of things. It's the 'basic necessities' sort of thing. Why wait for my own bathroom to be empty, when this one is wide open? If something doesn't work, fix it. It's really simple. I think I put up with a lot of crap that I know Gomez would never tolerate. Why? Because I got used to putting up with crap.

I'd lock it in the mornings, if someone demands it be opened just say someone must be using it if it's locked..
I look at it differently...not 'marking territory' but I've seen this sort of attitude about a lot of things. It's the 'basic necessities' sort of thing. Why wait for my own bathroom to be empty, when this one is wide open? If something doesn't work, fix it. It's really simple. I think I put up with a lot of crap that I know Gomez would never tolerate. Why? Because I got used to putting up with crap.
"Marking their territory"...Hahaha...that made me laugh out loud. Locking it is not an option right now, only because it has the original hardware (glass knob, brass plate) for a knob, with just a hook and eye for locking from the inside. I would need to take off the original knob to put a locking handle on, which isn't something I can do right now. Some other type of lock that isn't attached to the original parts, I suppose.
It helps just to know others suffer like I do! Thanks!

Morticia said:
In this case the OP is literally "putting up with crap", tee hee....
tounge_smile.gif

"Marking their territory"...Hahaha...that made me laugh out loud. Locking it is not an option right now, only because it has the original hardware (glass knob, brass plate) for a knob, with just a hook and eye for locking from the inside. I would need to take off the original knob to put a locking handle on, which isn't something I can do right now. Some other type of lock that isn't attached to the original parts, I suppose.
It helps just to know others suffer like I do! Thanks!
How about an 'Out of Order' sign? As long as the same people don't stay a really long time, you're good to go. Is there a window you can go in thru, lock the door and pop back out? OK, that is excessive, but getting rid of the smell might be worth it.

Morticia said:
In this case the OP is literally "putting up with crap", tee hee....
tounge_smile.gif

Oh, I so totally did not mean to be punning! That must have been subliminal.

The issue is this - someone is down having coffee and enjoying the morning and has to go. If it were "ME" I would prob not turn the exhaust fan on and advertise the fact, since it is where it is.
shades_smile.gif

Or the person is officially locked out of their room while their better half showers and gets ready.
If you cannot lock it, try this "OUT OF SERVICE" on a little rope and hang it over the knob. That should "eliminate" scuse the pun, at least 75% of those using it before or during breakfast times.

The issue is this - someone is down having coffee and enjoying the morning and has to go. If it were "ME" I would prob not turn the exhaust fan on and advertise the fact, since it is where it is.
shades_smile.gif

Or the person is officially locked out of their room while their better half showers and gets ready.
If you cannot lock it, try this "OUT OF SERVICE" on a little rope and hang it over the knob. That should "eliminate" scuse the pun, at least 75% of those using it before or during breakfast times..
I like the "out of order" or "out of service" idea. Thanks y'all!

shades_smile.gif

If you cannot lock it, try this "OUT OF SERVICE" on a little rope and hang it over the knob. That should "eliminate" scuse the pun, at least 75% of those using it before or during breakfast times..
I'd hang the sign at eye-level. With a piece of tape, so it looks 'new'. Handwritten in marker.

HA HA..that is too funny. And that would definitely teach the guest a lesson they would soon not forget!
poke.gif

maybe i can loan you my car buddy ... half person with shades and cap who rides shotgun with me when i drive alone for distances. (no, i never try to use the car pool lane) he has no legs but can sit quite nicely on the closed toilet seat.
i resorted to this when i had people marching into my little bathroom not during check-in times or breakfast but during odd times for various reasons ...
i had an 'out of service' sign hanging which they ignored.
but one look at 'the man' sitting on the throne in the dark bathroom and i'd hear shrieks or gasps and the slamming of the bathroom door, my little wooden sign would clatter to the floor, footsteps rushing to the stairs, sounds of scurrying to their own guest room with private bath ... i didn't have to see anything to know what had happened.

I love the car budy idea that would be hilarious but i would have to have CCTV to see their faces LOL I would fit a deadbolt and a padlock it would take 5 mins and that would stop them.

What about posting a sign stating what hours the restroom is available and lock it during off hours?
The sign could say "Pool area Restroom, open 11am to 7pm". or whatever the hours...that would solve the problem around breakfast time.

What about posting a sign stating what hours the restroom is available and lock it during off hours?
The sign could say "Pool area Restroom, open 11am to 7pm". or whatever the hours...that would solve the problem around breakfast time..
Just more signs they won't read...we already know that
cry_smile.gif
I say keep the door locked except during the pool hours...and then you take what you get.

Back