Draft Wedding Contract

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnTheShore

Reaction score
Most of you are probably not lawyers, but some of you may have experience planning or hosting weddings or similar events -- would you be willing to review our draft wedding contract and let us know of anything you think we've overlooked, or any other issues with it you see? You can find it here: http://www.harborfields.com/DraftWeddingContract.pdf
Thanks!

Do you have a clean up late fee? Ie everything must be broken down and cleaned up, removed form the property by "this time" or there is an $150 per hour overtime charge.
One wedding venue near us added this in and people cleaned up and were gone...prior to that is was quadruple timed to get them out.
Mentioning an HOURLY fee, not "move it or lose it" sort of deposit, The hourly fee hits home better.

Do you have a clean up late fee? Ie everything must be broken down and cleaned up, removed form the property by "this time" or there is an $150 per hour overtime charge.
One wedding venue near us added this in and people cleaned up and were gone...prior to that is was quadruple timed to get them out.
Mentioning an HOURLY fee, not "move it or lose it" sort of deposit, The hourly fee hits home better..
Thanks, that's great. Being more specific about how much would be withheld from the security deposit and on what basis (e.g. hourly rate for overtime) is a good idea.

The other thing they told me was to HIDE the liquor prior to the wedding itself. They had always had everything set up (hired bartender etc) and Uncle Hewey comes over and gets into it, since he hasn't spoken to Uncle Davey for 10 years...being a volatile situation. Then said "Uncle Hewey ends up driving his Merc into the creek" and more family feud ensues...plus calling a towing company.
(True story, only the names were changed).
shades_smile.gif
and this is at a very pricey exclusive scenic wedding venue. (You can't choose your relatives, as the saying goes..."
and...they will ONLY work with a wedding coordinator/planner. Not the 6 aunts, mother of the bride, sisters, mother of the groom, grandmas, etc. One point person only.

I would have the Liability / Hold Harmless / Indemnification as a separate document, mentioned in the rental contract but signed separately. This is what we do.
Not that you asked for this but:
Are you really prepared to have up to 200 people on your property for such a long period? Personally I would have a 4 hr max for those not staying on the property. It is extremely stressful!!!
Make it mandatory to have a licensed bartender, with you getting copies of his bar card to have on file. While you are protected by the agreement, making sure that they are doing everything possible to keep everyone above the law is better. You may also wish to have a rule about BYOB or cash bar. Check the laws regarding that. Here I can not allow someone to set up a cash bar. And BYOB has proven to have problems with underage drinking.
Security! I may have overlooked it in your contract but I strongly suggest you consider this. I my area it is a law that any assembly of 75+ must have security provided by law enforcement. We have this as part of our contract and expand on the need of one if alcohol is present. Somehow having a person in uniform visual on site keeps things on track.
K.I.S.S. - try to make the contract easier to read. Put as much in bullets in subheadings. You may even decide to have an instruction addendum rather than put all the individual details within the contract. And have them sign the addendum as well.
You do want to have the right to override any and all decisions regarding the tent rental and set up break down and any choice of music set up and noise level. We state that before the renter signs any agreement with a band/DJ or any rental equipment that we must meet with them to discuss our requirements. They must agree to OUR rules and that WE, not the one renting, have the final say as to their set up etc.
BTDT and have a story for it all!

I would have the Liability / Hold Harmless / Indemnification as a separate document, mentioned in the rental contract but signed separately. This is what we do.
Are you really prepared to have up to 200 people on your property for such a long period? Personally I would have a 4 hr max for those not staying on the property. It is extremely stressful!!!
Make it mandatory to have a licensed bartender, with you getting copies of his bar card to have on file. While you are protected by the agreement, making sure that they are doing everything possible to keep everyone above the law is better. You may also wish to have a rule about BYOB or cash bar. Check the laws regarding that. Here I can not allow someone to set up a cash bar. And BYOB has proven to have problems with underage drinking.
Security! I may have overlooked it in your contract but I strongly suggest you consider this. I my area it is a law that any assembly of 75+ must have security provided by law enforcement. We have this as part of our contract and expand on the need of one if alcohol is present. Somehow having a person in uniform visual on site keeps things on track.
K.I.S.S. - try to make the contract easier to read. Put as much in bullets in subheadings. You may even decide to have an instruction addendum rather than put all the individual details within the contract. And have them sign the addendum as well.
You do want to have the right to override any and all decisions regarding the tent rental and set up break down and any choice of music set up and noise level. We state that before the renter signs any agreement with a band/DJ or any rental equipment that we must meet with them to discuss our requirements. They must agree to OUR rules and that WE, not the one renting, have the final say as to their set up etc.
BTDT and have a story for it all!.
copperhead said:
No, this is exactly what I asked for, thanks!

add a "cold feet clause..."
If they cancel and it is not in time for your cancellation policy, they still get to pay! We had this happen, the wedding was cancelled and the couple staying here were not coming across the country now.

If they cancel and it is not in time for your cancellation policy, they still get to pay! We had this happen, the wedding was cancelled and the couple staying here were not coming across the country now..
I don't think they've got cold feet about getting married, but they may have cold feet about trying to put on a big wedding by themselves (poor kids)....

If they cancel and it is not in time for your cancellation policy, they still get to pay! We had this happen, the wedding was cancelled and the couple staying here were not coming across the country now..
I don't think they've got cold feet about getting married, but they may have cold feet about trying to put on a big wedding by themselves (poor kids)....
Harborfields said:
I wrote that after an innmate here had guests with cold feet...well one of them, the groom did.

Back