Dragging the suitcases through the house

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
I just don't get it. Dragging the suitecases through the house, over the sides and edges of floor rugs and bunching them all up and making them trip hazards.
Why would you drag them through someone's home? Is this an airport or something?

yup, hotel mentality. some guests are more respectful because it's your house, but some are not.
case in point -- i was watching youtube videos of how to make the cruise ship towel animals. the towel critters are for guest PLEASURE, i might add.
there is a video of a woman in a cruise ship bathrobe who tosses stainless dishes across the room to flatten a towel lobster. then she and the videographer laugh. so amusing ... not. total disregard for the property ... the dishes of course hit the wall and the table in addition to the towel critter that someone took the time to make. and then they clatter to the floor with, i suppose, bits of food.
it's the mindset of 'it's not mine, but i PAID to ... (use it) (stay here)'

exactly! hope those PITAS don't ever come to my inn...some people are really quite simple, huh?

I had to get over this exact thing the day we reopened after putting in all new wood floors and refinishing the old ones thruout the rest of the house. I hate it, but guests do not think the least about rolling their suitcases all over the place.
Ginocat...how do YOU handle this? If guests have to take off shoes, what about the dirty rollers on the suitcase? (And I'm not being facetious, either, you would have the best reply for how to best get them to pick up the dang suitcases!)

I had to get over this exact thing the day we reopened after putting in all new wood floors and refinishing the old ones thruout the rest of the house. I hate it, but guests do not think the least about rolling their suitcases all over the place.
Ginocat...how do YOU handle this? If guests have to take off shoes, what about the dirty rollers on the suitcase? (And I'm not being facetious, either, you would have the best reply for how to best get them to pick up the dang suitcases!).
Whenever possible, I take them upstairs myself. Part of the service, and eliminates the problems before they can happen.
-Kathleen M.

Off with their heads!!!.
greyswan said:
Off with their heads!!!
teeth_smile.gif

Ginocat...how do YOU handle this? If guests have to take off shoes, what about the dirty rollers on the suitcase? (And I'm not being facetious, either, you would have the best reply for how to best get them to pick up the dang suitcases!).
It's pretty hard to get people to pick up suitcases. I have one suitcase myself that I have difficulty in carrying so will roll whenever I can. The hallways to my guest rooms are carpeted in an industrial type (look nice) carpet so it withstands lots of abuse. I put that carpeting down about 3 years ago and have been very happy I did it. Two of my rooms have private entrances so they don't have to drag them far.
It's too bad about your floor and it's also too bad we don't think about these things before we do expensive flooring, etc. Could you not put secure runners down?
I guess the only way around it is to offer to carry suitcases ourselves. That's probably not going to happen unless we have some strong guy on site who'll do it. One place I stay at in Vancouver has male housekeepers and they carry the suitcases to the room. I sure couldn't do it though.

It's pretty hard to get people to pick up suitcases. I have one suitcase myself that I have difficulty in carrying so will roll whenever I can. The hallways to my guest rooms are carpeted in an industrial type (look nice) carpet so it withstands lots of abuse. I put that carpeting down about 3 years ago and have been very happy I did it. Two of my rooms have private entrances so they don't have to drag them far.
It's too bad about your floor and it's also too bad we don't think about these things before we do expensive flooring, etc. Could you not put secure runners down?
I guess the only way around it is to offer to carry suitcases ourselves. That's probably not going to happen unless we have some strong guy on site who'll do it. One place I stay at in Vancouver has male housekeepers and they carry the suitcases to the room. I sure couldn't do it though.
I don't seem to have a problem with the runners and I've covered a lot of the floor between the door and the guestrooms with runners or area rugs. We do offer to carry big suitcases, but guests will wheel even the smallest suitcase thru the house. I've had them wheel laptop cases thru the house.

Whenever possible, I take them upstairs myself. Part of the service, and eliminates the problems before they can happen.
-Kathleen M.
Skamokawa said:
-Kathleen M.
Two fully grown adult people with very large suitcases. I ain't putting my back in traction for nobody. I will just say the ruts in the wood flooring give it "character" ugh!

ginocat said:
See in our case we have a foyer - it is rectangular and the carpet is in the middle and runner near the door. So they just drag across both of them, then bang bang bang up each and every stair.

ginocat said:
See in our case we have a foyer - it is rectangular and the carpet is in the middle and runner near the door. So they just drag across both of them, then bang bang bang up each and every stair.
I agree, it's a problem. But...what are they going to do? If they CAN easily pick up the suitcase that's one thing but if the suitcase is heavy then what are they to do? You could offer to help them carry them up the stairs and that's about the best I can think of.

Back