Drapery behind beds

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyjacks

Reaction score
I really love some of the sample photos here.
I've considered hanging fabric behind some of our beds as I want to give the room decor a bit of an update (inexpensively) and I was thinking it would also reduce noise transfer between rooms. An interior designer acquaintance told me about a fabric called Soundguard that I could use as a liner for the curtain panels, that it would absorb the sound even more. Have to look at price still.
Any thoughts on drapery (without a window) behind a bed? If you've done it, does it make for a quieter room?

Love the idea! Worry about the dust collection. Have seriously considered doing this in a couple of rooms. Any additional drapery reduces noise. Can attest to this because whenever the drapes are down in a room (for cleaning) the whole room echoes. Thanks for the photos. Will save this up for reference.
Saw a neat idea on HGTV the other day where they screwed a sheet of painted (very well painted) plywood to the ceiling over the bed and ran crown molding around the outside edge and hung drapes from rods hidden behind the molding. A little much, but they were doing an 'islands' look with floaty panels.

Ive done it for one of my rooms, not for the noise, but the 'look.' I love the way it looks and our guest say its their favorite room!

Would not do anything that requires the guest to touch the drapes tho. Like the photos with the canopy styles. You have to push the drapes out of your way to get to things on the nightstand. Will just make for more laundry as the drapery needs cleaning from greasy hands touching it.

I will say it was the fashion when this house first became a B&B over 20 years ago, I have some old photos of that look. Is it back, or is it only back as a sheer where this is a window to let light through? A great way to put a bed in front of a window tho, thanks for reminding me of this. :)

med_Room%201.jpg

We do a tall drapery in one of our rooms and I just recently relocated it to be in front of a window to accommodate a king bed. People like the look, they don't extend past the headboard much so they're not being pulled all the time, and you can vacumn them and shake the dust out between launderings. It was homemade (before my time, though) with a piece of plywood covered with the toile screwed to the ceiling, with the drapery hooks attached to that.

Here is a picture of one of our former rooms. I like the architectural detail of that above the bed. It actually is covering a sleeping porch type window with louvered shutters on both the inside and outside of the room. This was done by the prior owners.
213%20House%2011052007%20002.jpg

Some of the pictures in your link are GREAT examples of how you can make a room look much larger with using these decorating ideas with long, high quality draperies. Wonderful ideas!
I had no problem vacuuming my lined drapes in all my rooms to keep them free of dust. Plus, we clean guest rooms so frequently as innkeepers that dust really never seemed to be a big problem.
regular_smile.gif

Here is a picture of one of our former rooms. I like the architectural detail of that above the bed. It actually is covering a sleeping porch type window with louvered shutters on both the inside and outside of the room. This was done by the prior owners.
I forgot that one. That was really sharp and as a 'canopy style' it was far enough out of the way of the guests.

med_Room%201.jpg

We do a tall drapery in one of our rooms and I just recently relocated it to be in front of a window to accommodate a king bed. People like the look, they don't extend past the headboard much so they're not being pulled all the time, and you can vacumn them and shake the dust out between launderings. It was homemade (before my time, though) with a piece of plywood covered with the toile screwed to the ceiling, with the drapery hooks attached to that..
I like that look with the covered valance. Ack! One more thing to think about!

I forgot that one. That was really sharp and as a 'canopy style' it was far enough out of the way of the guests.
Thanks! This photo is the first one I grabbed of that room. Forgot that I replaced the rug, the tables, the upholstered chair, and on and on in there... hahaha...
But we kept the canopy effect after dry cleaning those drapes...

We have a canopy that we can't vacuum. Lacy and annoying (to me as the owner/cleaner).
I think a wall covering behind the bed is nice if there is nothing else there, ie nothing really as an attraction or a distraction. The lacy canopy we have sits in a corner of the room to allow getting in and out off both sides, so if it wasn't there I think something would need to be.
Blue_Featured_Inn.jpg

We have one room we have heavy lace panels behind the bed. Of course, this was for show as the room only has one window and I wanted to give an airy feel to the room as it also has heavy dark furniture.
Otherwise here is an opposing viewpoint to many here. I like a light, airy room, keep heavy drapes to a minimum and don't put a bed infront of a window, I want to see out. - Of course if you have a very large room, maybe some extra fabric would help make it feel more cozy!

We have one room we have heavy lace panels behind the bed. Of course, this was for show as the room only has one window and I wanted to give an airy feel to the room as it also has heavy dark furniture.
Otherwise here is an opposing viewpoint to many here. I like a light, airy room, keep heavy drapes to a minimum and don't put a bed infront of a window, I want to see out. - Of course if you have a very large room, maybe some extra fabric would help make it feel more cozy!.
copperhead said:
Otherwise here is an opposing viewpoint to many here. I like a light, airy room, keep heavy drapes to a minimum and don't put a bed infront of a window, I want to see out. - Of course if you have a very large room, maybe some extra fabric would help make it feel more cozy!
Not opposing in the least. I am an anti drapery person myself. We had dozens of windows in the pacnw with no curtains (other than in our guest room) no one could see in we were wooded and the more light the better on those dark drizzly days. Same with color, only warm colors, not blues or cold hues.
But, guests close every blind and curtain, and demand total darkness to sleep. I used to have my bed up against a window in summer months to peer up at the stars. So what I LIKE and what I HAVE for guests are two different things. I remember someone mentioning along time ago that our inns are our personalities and attract likeminded guests, and I had to disagree.
lrg_windows_end.jpg

Here are four of those large windows. Never a window covering in our house for 8 years, I loved it like that. (Funny this was my "way ahead of my time" digital camera I paid big bucks for this to take fuzzy 35kb images, I think my first Compact Flash memory card was 32 megabyte! When I bought a 512Mb it was $1000. I gave my 32 to my aunt in Australia and she cried, as they were over $500 there at the time. Hard to imagine how far it is all come.
Saw a program where they have a camera PILL you swallow and it transmits digital images wirelessly from your intestinal tract, 2 frames per second. I told DH do you realize that REALITY HAS BYPASSED SCIENCE FICTION!
lrg_windows_inside_noflash.jpg

Back