Drinking age?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is their normal way of life. I would not say anything. You didn't give them the wine,it isn't your problem. I think we talked about a similar situation a while ago where a pregnant woman was drinking wine. Not our problem..
Catlady, I think this really depends on your location. If you're an urban inn somewhere where the drinking laws are strict and the local police (not to mention nosey neighbors) are going by randomly all the time, you might have to address this with the guest. Seriously, this wouldn't necessarily bother me at all, but it wouldn't be worth losing my business license over.
If I had an inn in Northern California wine country, I wouldn't even think about this at all.
Everyone should consider their own situation and local regs...
Maybe, if we were talking about a 5 year old or something. A stranger or even nosy neighbor peering at a teenager with their parents? Absolutely no way for them to tell the kids are underage.
Don Draper said:
Maybe, if we were talking about a 5 year old or something. A stranger or even nosy neighbor peering at a teenager with their parents? Absolutely no way for them to tell the kids are underage.
Or what's in those glasses.
Breakfast Diva said:
Or what's in those glasses.
No doubt about. Just because it looks like a wine style beverage does not make it so.

I know I'm late here on this one but I agree with SS it is a cultural difference and at that age with the PARENTS providing it, I would turn a blind eye. This sounds like a cordial social evening drink, not a 'who can get drunk the fastest' party. This is probablly done at home as well.
I would see this differently if the parents were not there or if things took a turn to resemble a party.

I know I'm late here on this one but I agree with SS it is a cultural difference and at that age with the PARENTS providing it, I would turn a blind eye. This sounds like a cordial social evening drink, not a 'who can get drunk the fastest' party. This is probablly done at home as well.
I would see this differently if the parents were not there or if things took a turn to resemble a party..
so i wonder how an innkeeper can find out what the 'local regs' are ... who to contact ... local law enforcement? not that i want to invite more inspections and probing by anyone.
gosh, i remember contacting the state licensing board and health dept in maine to ask what was required to serve dinner and they immediately wanted to know where i was, where i worked, and what i was 'up to'. i was calling from a cell phone and no way did i like the attitude of the people i spoke with who assumed i was already doing something ... i wasn't. i tried to explain and they were still suspicious.
jeez.
in any case, back to the original post ... if i observed the family drinking together again, i would take one of the adults aside and tell them ''in case one of the under agers is having alcohol, it's not permitted.'' then i might offer some sparkling cider or lemonaide.

I would see this differently if the parents were not there or if things took a turn to resemble a party..
so i wonder how an innkeeper can find out what the 'local regs' are ... who to contact ... local law enforcement? not that i want to invite more inspections and probing by anyone.
gosh, i remember contacting the state licensing board and health dept in maine to ask what was required to serve dinner and they immediately wanted to know where i was, where i worked, and what i was 'up to'. i was calling from a cell phone and no way did i like the attitude of the people i spoke with who assumed i was already doing something ... i wasn't. i tried to explain and they were still suspicious.
jeez.
in any case, back to the original post ... if i observed the family drinking together again, i would take one of the adults aside and tell them ''in case one of the under agers is having alcohol, it's not permitted.'' then i might offer some sparkling cider or lemonaide.
I always contact the state innkeeper's association. They know all the regs and will give a friendly warning about what not to attempt and why.
I contacted them to ask about offering vouchers for cancellations, how to do the deposits, etc. Very helpful.

It is their normal way of life. I would not say anything. You didn't give them the wine,it isn't your problem. I think we talked about a similar situation a while ago where a pregnant woman was drinking wine. Not our problem..
Catlady, I think this really depends on your location. If you're an urban inn somewhere where the drinking laws are strict and the local police (not to mention nosey neighbors) are going by randomly all the time, you might have to address this with the guest. Seriously, this wouldn't necessarily bother me at all, but it wouldn't be worth losing my business license over.
If I had an inn in Northern California wine country, I wouldn't even think about this at all.
Everyone should consider their own situation and local regs...
Doesn't matter here, Don. I live in the Deep South where alcohol infractions are taken very seriously. Businesses have been closed down and business owners have been jailed/heavily fined for so-called "minor" infractions that were reported to local authorities. I personally may not agree with this, but there are regulations to be considered.
In my particular situation, I would have spoken to these folks in a very genteel fashion about the possible risk to my business by serving their underage children alcohol on my front porch in plain view. It is not allowed in this city.
We all have to do what we think is best for our business and I believe that was the heart of the matter in the question that Ike asked.

I'm so glad we're an adults only facility. This job has enough headaches without having to deal with this crap.

Back