Drop Everything, I Want A Tour!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white pine

Reaction score
Not sure where this fits, but as it is part rant I put it here....We are a construction zone. Sign on the gate says "Closed for remodeling", but if the gate is open in they come. By foot, by car, by bike, by golf cart, they all want a tour-- or "can I just go through if you are busy?" (As I stand there in dirty wet shirt and jeans.)
Some have waded in by boat or jet-ski; but it really took the cake when three women one in a wheelchair and a boy appeared at the cabin to ask for a tour during dinner. I explained this was not a good time, and with the men working it was not safe to go through. They said they understood, but as they left they walked toward the lodge. I gave them a few, thinking they had parked there, but when no car came, I walked over. Seems they waded in from their pontoon boat, and carried the gal in the wheelchair! Then they talked the painters into breaking off and going for a cruise!!! Now they are stealing the help!!!
We have been thinking do we have an open house of sorts? Get if over in a hurry? I suspect they will keep coming. I have been getting names and addresses/ e-mails and telling them we will get a website up so they can follow. Most are interested, and many have stayed here in the past. Suggestions on dealing with this invasion??? I am cringing--now there is a seaplane circling.....

You need to have a large sign in several locations....UNDER CONSTRUCTION..DO NOT ENTER..DANGER!!! Or something similar. Then...when you do open.
An open house is a good idea..but like you say...they will want to come and look. So you should have a sign...TOURS BY APPOINTMENT...or TOURS GIVEN at 3 PM only. Something like that.....because..you are going to get the "looky lous" and you need to do it right by setting parameters that work for YOU!

Definitely a sign - some type of big red Danger sign, as catlady suggested. This is not just irritating, it is dangerous if someone hurts themselves. Other than locking the front door and not answering it, that's my only suggestion.

You need to have a large sign in several locations....UNDER CONSTRUCTION..DO NOT ENTER..DANGER!!! Or something similar. Then...when you do open.
An open house is a good idea..but like you say...they will want to come and look. So you should have a sign...TOURS BY APPOINTMENT...or TOURS GIVEN at 3 PM only. Something like that.....because..you are going to get the "looky lous" and you need to do it right by setting parameters that work for YOU!.
I like the tours given by appt. idea. "Danger, do not enter", will go up as soon as I get back.
Another problem is the just plain out "invaders"... Some folks waded in and sat in our chairs near the beach. I intercepted, and kindly asked if they were looking for someone?... "No, we are just here a bit and using the beach". I said might not be safe, unmaintained, broken glass, etc., finally they moved on, but REALLY!!! Do I come and camp on their yard??? I don't want to be the new evil B...., but I don't think signs everywere will slow these people down, they are as bold as brass! But thinking, "For the use of lodge guests only" might be necessary.

Definitely a sign - some type of big red Danger sign, as catlady suggested. This is not just irritating, it is dangerous if someone hurts themselves. Other than locking the front door and not answering it, that's my only suggestion..
Most of these folks, DON"T ask. They drive in, and will go in no matter how crazy it is. The lodge is open because it has contractors working. We have to intercept. Sometimes it is people/family looking for one on the workers. Contractors assume it is people looking for us. I am looking for a driveway remote bell, to let us be aware someone is coming in, at least we can look to see if we recognize the vehicle, but it won't help with the lake invasions.

"Construction Zone- Authorized personnel only! All other non-contractors needing admittance MUST call this number: (insert phone number here)."
Place at the gate, at the dock, wherever it is necessary,.
And, yes, ASAP get a blog or something up with the details. And, yes, have an open house where you can control who is coming and where they are going.
And, explain to the help that leaves off in the middle of the day to go boating that this is not their own house, it's your business and you have a contract with them to work, not play.
However, it is wonderful if you can think about it that way, these people have a deep connection to your property, they want to see it succeed and they'll be your best referrers when the time comes. You have to keep them in the loop.

"Construction Zone- Authorized personnel only! All other non-contractors needing admittance MUST call this number: (insert phone number here)."
Place at the gate, at the dock, wherever it is necessary,.
And, yes, ASAP get a blog or something up with the details. And, yes, have an open house where you can control who is coming and where they are going.
And, explain to the help that leaves off in the middle of the day to go boating that this is not their own house, it's your business and you have a contract with them to work, not play.
However, it is wonderful if you can think about it that way, these people have a deep connection to your property, they want to see it succeed and they'll be your best referrers when the time comes. You have to keep them in the loop..
Good Ideas, thanks. I do enjoy talking about the place, but this is getting nuts. I think people feel it is "their" place too, and they feel they are informants, and want to check us out. Everyone seems to support our plans. We are the point of interest on the non-stop lake tour of rafts, jet-skis, and kayaks. Rumor is out that we got a million dollar grant to fix it up-- I WISH!!
Blog is going, but is invisible. Still trying to throw money on a website, coming together slowly.

I would one.....call or go to the police........describe the situation and ask for suggestions......wording of signs and so on............also........know what the trespasing laws are.....
Call your insurance company.........find out about liabilities you are encountering ......your covered, not covered.
I would be very concerned about the beach......unwanted guests now....more so when you are open for business.....
Know what your rights are........property rights and privacy rights.

Back