Dropping off the luggage?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
Why do people who drive into town early always want to drop their luggage off if they can't get into their room early? What's the point of that? I assume their car has a trunk if they don't want to have bags in plain view while they're killing time shopping or eating.

I'm guessing it's just a way to try to get in early, but maybe there's some logical benefit in their minds.

To get into the room without actually 'checking in.' IE - to bypass the rules.
I just say no one is at the house until 3. If they ring the bell and I answer I say they can leave everything in the entryway, but no one is around to keep an eye on it.
For you, I'd just say that the housekeeping staff has not released the room yet, so that means they are still cleaning so the door codes can't be entered yet.

They think it's a way to check in early. I take the luggage, but never the room.

I just say no one is at the house until 3. If they ring the bell and I answer I say they can leave everything in the entryway, but no one is around to keep an eye on it.
For you, I'd just say that the housekeeping staff has not released the room yet, so that means they are still cleaning so the door codes can't be entered yet..
Morticia said:
For you, I'd just say that the housekeeping staff has not released the room yet, so that means they are still cleaning so the door codes can't be entered yet.
That's how I handle it. I text the housekeeper and tell her to text me when she's done and I'll activate the door code and text the guest that it's ready for them. She definitely doesn't want to be alone in there with strangers having an active door code.
It's just the "if we can't get in early, can we at least drop off the luggage" part I don't get. Don't see the point of that, but of course it's either the bathroom thing or the trying to get a foot in the door thing, hoping once they are in, they can stay.
I don't worry about the bathroom. It's always around lunchtime when they are asking to get in early, so they can use a restaurant's bathroom.
Speaking of door codes, I have always given the guests the option of picking the 4-digit code they want to use. Lately, about 40% of new reservations have specified a preferred code, so I don't have to assign one.
But a few weeks ago a reservation came in requesting the code one of my housekeepers uses! What are the chances of that? That code will get them into every door in the inn, including all the closets! So on their arrival day, I'll have to deactivate the housekeeper's code on all other rooms, and on the supply closet. Once the guest leaves, I can return things to normal.

I guess it depends on where you are. By us, the majority of our guests arrive by bus or by air, and then get to our place with public transit or taxi, so they do not have a car, and I do understand them not wanting to log around their big suitcase until 3PM.

I guess it depends on where you are. By us, the majority of our guests arrive by bus or by air, and then get to our place with public transit or taxi, so they do not have a car, and I do understand them not wanting to log around their big suitcase until 3PM..
Specific said:
...I do understand them not wanting to log around their big suitcase until 3PM.
Sure. I'm only talking about people who arrive by car, which is 100% of my guests. We're hours from an airport, half an hour from a train, no taxi service or Uber. No bus services come through our town. Here, you either arrive by car or you walk!

I don't know why, but I think it to try to get in the room earlier and/or use the bathroom. We have a closet to store them until their room is ready. They can opt to have them delivered to the room when its ready or pick it up when they check in later. My guess is with your set up, that's not an option.

They think it's a way to check in early. I take the luggage, but never the room..
So awhile ago I had this experience. I can be kind and nice to people, but... We had someone show up early (noon) with a Uber driver. I told him that the room wasn't ready but he can drop off the luggage. He went out to the car and got his luggage. As he was bringing it up to the door the driver asked if he should wait for him since he couldn't get in the room right now. He waved the driver off and said not to worry, he'll be fine and winked at him... he didn't get his room until check in time.
Another time a nice repeat couple showed up early due to fast going traffic. They apologized and asked if they could drop off the suitcases. While they were outside getting them we upgraded them to a room that was empty and offered it to them if they wanted it. Since it was the best room, they took it right on the spot. They were pleased and thanked us. Since they were so nice, we upgraded the next couple to the first couple original room, and put their room back up for booking. We got a last minute booking. What some guests don't realize is that being kind instead of demanding usually works better in the end. The repeat guests gave us a nice gift on top of a nice tip as a thank you for the upgraded room. Repeat guests are my favorite!

They think it's a way to check in early. I take the luggage, but never the room..
So awhile ago I had this experience. I can be kind and nice to people, but... We had someone show up early (noon) with a Uber driver. I told him that the room wasn't ready but he can drop off the luggage. He went out to the car and got his luggage. As he was bringing it up to the door the driver asked if he should wait for him since he couldn't get in the room right now. He waved the driver off and said not to worry, he'll be fine and winked at him... he didn't get his room until check in time.
Another time a nice repeat couple showed up early due to fast going traffic. They apologized and asked if they could drop off the suitcases. While they were outside getting them we upgraded them to a room that was empty and offered it to them if they wanted it. Since it was the best room, they took it right on the spot. They were pleased and thanked us. Since they were so nice, we upgraded the next couple to the first couple original room, and put their room back up for booking. We got a last minute booking. What some guests don't realize is that being kind instead of demanding usually works better in the end. The repeat guests gave us a nice gift on top of a nice tip as a thank you for the upgraded room. Repeat guests are my favorite!
Every single time. And booking direct.... we upgrade them first.

Every single time. And booking direct.... we upgrade them first.
Right! We tend to upgrade to make our life easier and more convenient for ourselves.

With us, it usually happens in the winter, when people going to the ski resort don't want things in their suitcases to freeze. Like others, we let the bag check in early, the guests, no. (Unless they want to pay our $50 early checkin fee, which most don't.)

For you, I'd just say that the housekeeping staff has not released the room yet, so that means they are still cleaning so the door codes can't be entered yet..
Morticia said:
That's how I handle it. I text the housekeeper and tell her to text me when she's done and I'll activate the door code and text the guest that it's ready for them. She definitely doesn't want to be alone in there with strangers having an active door code.
It's just the "if we can't get in early, can we at least drop off the luggage" part I don't get. Don't see the point of that, but of course it's either the bathroom thing or the trying to get a foot in the door thing, hoping once they are in, they can stay.
I don't worry about the bathroom. It's always around lunchtime when they are asking to get in early, so they can use a restaurant's bathroom.
Speaking of door codes, I have always given the guests the option of picking the 4-digit code they want to use. Lately, about 40% of new reservations have specified a preferred code, so I don't have to assign one.
But a few weeks ago a reservation came in requesting the code one of my housekeepers uses! What are the chances of that? That code will get them into every door in the inn, including all the closets! So on their arrival day, I'll have to deactivate the housekeeper's code on all other rooms, and on the supply closet. Once the guest leaves, I can return things to normal.
In 10 years we've never had anyone with a code that was already entered. So no dupes with our codes and no dupes with other guests.
I'd say it's an amazing coinky dink.

We don't get a lot of requests to drop off luggage but when it happens it is usually due to luggage being in the open bed of a truck or at least some in the back seat. Since we are near a big tourist city there are many that want to go into the city for a while and not want luggage in view.

For those I will take in the luggage and give them info for self check in when they return. It lets them (and me if no other check ins) off the hook to be here during normal check in time.

With us, it usually happens in the winter, when people going to the ski resort don't want things in their suitcases to freeze. Like others, we let the bag check in early, the guests, no. (Unless they want to pay our $50 early checkin fee, which most don't.).
Heck, they won't usually pay mine and it's half of that!

I think it can be a situation where the guest is planning to take their car to a place where maybe they will not have full oversight of it. They are in an area they don't know and have heard enough stories about rental cars getting broken into that they feel better knowing it is mostly empty. Since our guests go to trailheads and unsupervised parking areas, and since thieves have been known to prey on those areas, we offer an opportunity to drop luggage and to we offer the opportunity to store luggage after check out. If the room is ready and we aren't in the middle of something that is best handled without guests present, we often allow an early check-in. If it's not ready we give them some suggestions and send them along.

Repeat guests are my favorite too! They're like old friends come to visit...only they pay!! :)

One of our biggest problems is people wanting to check in early. We have one of those video doorbells, so we can talk to guests at the door when we're not there. This is not the blessing that we thought it would be. We have gone back to ignoring it when people get here early. There's a sign that says "Check in is at 2 pm".

Repeat guests are my favorite too! They're like old friends come to visit...only they pay!! :)
Hello! Glad to see you again! I hope everything is going well over there.

Back