Drunk at check-in

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are they being obnoxious or friendly? Does it appear that they can hold their liquor, or are you concerned about cleaning up a mess?
I have guests that stay with us every year around Mardi Gras. Our city has a huge celebration. These guests are two of the sweetest, most polite, and humorous guests I've ever had. They were 3 sheets to the wind when I first met them, and now I look forward to their yearly visits. I even email them in advance to let them know when Mardi Gras is being held. (One year they showed up without making a reservation & we were in the middle of repairing a toilet. They were certain they'd made a reservation, but definitely hadn't. Kept apologizing as I checked them into their favorite room.)

We had this happen for the first time last week. Really didn't know how to respond. Skipped the tour and basically poured the guests into their room.
Didn't see them again until the next morning. (They were in good shape considering).
As you'd expect, when they left the room was a mess.

Do you serve alcohol at your place? If yes, I might consider asking your state innkeeping rep what issues might arise if the guests injure themselves.
Like other answers, I'd skip anything unimportant and drop them in the room.
Hopefully they sober up.

LOL, Ark.
Check them in.
Keep an eye out for any disturbance but, if at night, I'd assume they're going to bed soon. Better there than on the road.

Do you serve alcohol at your place? If yes, I might consider asking your state innkeeping rep what issues might arise if the guests injure themselves.
Like other answers, I'd skip anything unimportant and drop them in the room.
Hopefully they sober up..
Mort makes a good point. We have a license and as such could be liable for their actions. We immediately documented that they arrived impaired and would have refused to provide them any additional alcohol had they asked.

Had someone come back from a wedding one night "stotted" as the locals here put it.
Fell in his room, grabbed the shelf for support and ripped it off the wall. broken cups, glasses and soil from a pot plant all on the carpet.
He claimed it just fell down, but when I went to put it back up the metal spring toggles holding it up on the plasterboard were snapped in two.
So I would be very weary and if they're struggling to stand upright I'd refuse entry.

Back