Duh, forgot to raise the Valentine weekend rates...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfive

Reaction score
...until after we received the 1st two reservations. Actually I'm sure I changed them, but I sometimes seem to screw up the rates with super inns.

Well, at least you're able to fix it now. What I usually do is have the rates written down, I make the adjustments and then I do a quick run thru on the calendar to make sure they took. I had problems one time as well and I called them because I was frustrated the changes weren't 'taking.' I was told to use the 'Advanced Pricing' option. I do use the 'Modify prices for a batch of dates' option to change just one weekend.

Why do you raise the rates Valentine's weekend?.
I used to raise the rates, too. Its a long, very popular weekend and it booked. This area is not as popular as it once was, so I don't do that anymore. But I do it for other weekends in the middle of nothing. Or if I see a weekend filling up fast, I raise the rates on the remaining rooms.
I just had someone cancel a prime weekend in the summer. She was paying $x for it because she booked it really early. Now that hers is the only room left, it's gone up to $x+20.

Why raise rates on Valentine's weekend?
Just offer a Valentine Package to up the rate. I was never into the thing of raising rates just because it was a holiday. I did the same amount of work whether it was a regular day or a holiday. If they came to stay and paid my rate..that was fine. And we always filled up. We offered flowers, candies, cakes, cheese and cracker trays etc to bring in a little extra. THe floral industry gouges people ..why should I? I know "supply & demand" but you only have so many rooms and so many people you can accommodate..why charge extra? Just didn't seem kosher to me.

Well, at least you're able to fix it now. What I usually do is have the rates written down, I make the adjustments and then I do a quick run thru on the calendar to make sure they took. I had problems one time as well and I called them because I was frustrated the changes weren't 'taking.' I was told to use the 'Advanced Pricing' option. I do use the 'Modify prices for a batch of dates' option to change just one weekend..
Rates are so high here in Charlottesville I don't raise rates on holidays. We do packages they can add on, but I need to be more attentive to when I should start requiring 3 day stays etc. on long weekends. That's what I keep forgetting.
But then again, if I can get a turn during a longer weekend, I can often book double the wine tours with double the guests so make more money that way.
Riki

Luckily I caught it before a couple more reservations. Also dropped the packed stuff this year and created add -ons. Booked up just as fast!
Why raise rates on Valentine's weekend? - Because we have lower off season winter rates. On holidays and special events during the off season we carry the in-season rate.

Just offer a Valentine Package to up the rate. I was never into the thing of raising rates just because it was a holiday. I did the same amount of work whether it was a regular day or a holiday. If they came to stay and paid my rate..that was fine. And we always filled up. We offered flowers, candies, cakes, cheese and cracker trays etc to bring in a little extra. THe floral industry gouges people ..why should I? I know "supply & demand" but you only have so many rooms and so many people you can accommodate..why charge extra? Just didn't seem kosher to me..
Why raise the rates? Because you can, and it will get booked.
Why create a package that is just extra work for myself on a weekend that is going to be full no matter what I do?
It's just about valuing your product...when you value it others will too. There's a difference between "gauging" and simply charging more because of demand.

Luckily I caught it before a couple more reservations. Also dropped the packed stuff this year and created add -ons. Booked up just as fast!
Why raise rates on Valentine's weekend? - Because we have lower off season winter rates. On holidays and special events during the off season we carry the in-season rate..
Hangfive said:
Why raise rates on Valentine's weekend? - Because we have lower off season winter rates. On holidays and special events during the off season we carry the in-season rate.
Thank you.
I understand now.
We typically will only get one nighters for Valentine's day but this year s/b better given it is on a weekend. I hope you have super guests!

Just offer a Valentine Package to up the rate. I was never into the thing of raising rates just because it was a holiday. I did the same amount of work whether it was a regular day or a holiday. If they came to stay and paid my rate..that was fine. And we always filled up. We offered flowers, candies, cakes, cheese and cracker trays etc to bring in a little extra. THe floral industry gouges people ..why should I? I know "supply & demand" but you only have so many rooms and so many people you can accommodate..why charge extra? Just didn't seem kosher to me..
Why create a package that is just extra work for myself on a weekend that is going to be full no matter what I do?
It's just about valuing your product...when you value it others will too. There's a difference between "gauging" and simply charging more because of demand.
Rupert said:
Remember we are all different. Rupie you said "Why create a package that is just extra work for myself on a weekend that is going to be full no matter what I do?" This is not the case for us, and in fact if we want to get a two nighter we most likely will have to add it as a package. For many inns we are scratching about this time of year to get guests. PS Just had my VIP'S head out back to their prospective states. Had a very nice visit with these innmates!

Rupert said:
Remember we are all different. Rupie you said "Why create a package that is just extra work for myself on a weekend that is going to be full no matter what I do?" This is not the case for us, and in fact if we want to get a two nighter we most likely will have to add it as a package. For many inns we are scratching about this time of year to get guests. PS Just had my VIP'S head out back to their prospective states. Had a very nice visit with these innmates!
I understand your point exactly but it goes back to the OP's point, he/she was raising rates for the holiday so obviously he/she thinks it will book even at a higher rate. My point is that I would not ever do a package for a weekend that is going to be full anyway,

Rupert said:
I understand your point exactly but it goes back to the OP's point, he/she was raising rates for the holiday so obviously he/she thinks it will book even at a higher rate. My point is that I would not ever do a package for a weekend that is going to be full anyway,
I realize now...why raise your rate because you are in off season lower rate now...so that makes sense. However, I charged the same whenever I was open. Didn't change because of the season. Maybe not a package, but you could have just some add ons which don't take much time and could bring in a bit more..though with the price of roses..you can't add on much to that since florists are already charging an arm and a leg just for Valentines. :-( I got mine at Costco.

Rupert said:
I realize now...why raise your rate because you are in off season lower rate now...so that makes sense. However, I charged the same whenever I was open. Didn't change because of the season. Maybe not a package, but you could have just some add ons which don't take much time and could bring in a bit more..though with the price of roses..you can't add on much to that since florists are already charging an arm and a leg just for Valentines. :-( I got mine at Costco.
catlady said:
..though with the price of roses..you can't add on much to that since florists are already charging an arm and a leg just for Valentines. :-( I got mine at Costco.
Try finding a local florist that does business for one of the online sellers. Chances are they are doing the work for a bit less than retail. Maybe they'll give you a resellers discount as well, expecially if you pick up the order. We work with exclusively with a local florist who sells to us a rate competative enough for us to sell at retail and make some money for the time and effort.

We don't raise the rates for holiday weekends, but do often require a three night stay.

Back