Dumbing down breakfast

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the things we offer is the option of eggs to order.
We always tell guests "If our entree of the day doesn't appeal to you, we're always happy to prepare eggs to order for you."
The only hiccup is occasionally think "eggs Benedict" is an an option to order..
If I offer it, I offer sunny side up or scrambled. I'm careful to not offer poached, as then I have to take out another pan, boil water and then watch it like a hawk. I'll had boil an egg, but I won't promise anything with soft boiled.
And I genuine want to cringe when they want their egg cooked till dead... aka over hard or dry. Ugh.

We always tell guests "If our entree of the day doesn't appeal to you, we're always happy to prepare eggs to order for you."
The only hiccup is occasionally think "eggs Benedict" is an an option to order..
If I offer it, I offer sunny side up or scrambled. I'm careful to not offer poached, as then I have to take out another pan, boil water and then watch it like a hawk. I'll had boil an egg, but I won't promise anything with soft boiled.
And I genuine want to cringe when they want their egg cooked till dead... aka over hard or dry. Ugh.
Generic said:
I'll hard boil an egg, but I won't promise anything with soft boiled.
I finally figured out how to make a good soft-boiled egg, at least an low altitude. People in Denver are on their own!
I'd heard of a "3-minute egg" before, but boiling an egg 3 minutes isn't enough. This method solves that problem.
  • Put an egg in a pan of cold water and turn on the heat.
  • As soon as the water starts to boil, begin timing.
  • After it boils exactly 3 minutes, take the egg out of the water and you'll have a good soft-boiled egg.
I've had it work with 1 or 2 eggs. I assume it would work with more eggs, because the 3 minute count doesn't start until the water boils, and then they are all held at the boiling point.

I guess I've always been dumb ;-) I serve a fairly deconstructed, traditional breakfast. To 1 or 2 individual tables: My pick of various home baked starter (muffin, banana bread, apple cake) with fruit and then eggs to order with my pick of bacon, ham, sausage and home baked bread toast or hash brown for GF. Maybe offer an omelette (on hand mushroom, cheese, or maybe salmon). To more than 2 (5 room inn) similar in buffet, but scrambled eggs or omelette, maybe GF waffles. Tomorrow, it's make own breakfast burritos. This fall crop apple juice.
I've got it so I can enter kitchen at 7:30, turn on oven and be ready to serve at 8:00. I get more rest and guests get to pick when they eat between 7:30 to 10:00. Home baked is frozen. Everything else I make can be done in half hour plus egg to order cooked while guests on starter. Less table waste and I'm not likely to feel put out if folks aren't hungry and just want to get on the road..
How do you present make your own burrito? Sounds like fun and right up our alley. We do make your own yogurt parfaits almost every day. Yogurt, fruit, nuts, chocolate chips, sunflower seeds, coconut and other stuff. Sometimes I’ll do oatmeal and put out five or six toppings.
What do you put out for burritos?
At home we do breakfast burritos for our family and we all love them! We use tortillas, refried beans, fried potatoes, scrambled eggs, and cheese. Place everything on top of each other in the center of the tortilla, don't over stuff it so you can't close it up. Choose what side of the tortilla is top. Fold in the sides and then the bottom. Hang on to it until all eaten up. It can be messy but oh so good!

We changed our menu several years ago to change with the times. We noticed more and more people who had "food allergies" or this condition or that condition or didn't like some ingredient in our breakfast dish. We have 18 rooms and would constantly be getting requests for something special or we would get a lot of half eaten plates, leaving a scone, or leaving fruit, or whatever the meat we chose for the day.
We flipped to a simple menu of made to order items (see below) which has resulted in much happier guests because they can order what they want and a lot less food waste and subsequently less food costs. Sadly it is not what I would want if I were traveling to a B&B (I much prefer being surprised by the innkeeper and having something special and unique) but it seems to please most of our customers most of the time.
Our made to order breakfast includes a Continental Buffet with cereals, fresh fruit, fresh baked muffins, scones, or other pastries, juices, coffee/tea, and yogurt
(If we are not offering a buffet, you will be served fresh fruit and baked breads)
You will have your choice of one of the following options
Carisbrooke Pancakes
or
French Toast
or
Eggs any style with potatoes and toast
or
An Omelet with potatoes and toast
or
Hot Oatmeal
You also have your choice of bacon, breakfast sausage, Canadian bacon, Turkey Bacon, or vegetarian sausage

I guess I've always been dumb ;-) I serve a fairly deconstructed, traditional breakfast. To 1 or 2 individual tables: My pick of various home baked starter (muffin, banana bread, apple cake) with fruit and then eggs to order with my pick of bacon, ham, sausage and home baked bread toast or hash brown for GF. Maybe offer an omelette (on hand mushroom, cheese, or maybe salmon). To more than 2 (5 room inn) similar in buffet, but scrambled eggs or omelette, maybe GF waffles. Tomorrow, it's make own breakfast burritos. This fall crop apple juice.
I've got it so I can enter kitchen at 7:30, turn on oven and be ready to serve at 8:00. I get more rest and guests get to pick when they eat between 7:30 to 10:00. Home baked is frozen. Everything else I make can be done in half hour plus egg to order cooked while guests on starter. Less table waste and I'm not likely to feel put out if folks aren't hungry and just want to get on the road..
How do you present make your own burrito? Sounds like fun and right up our alley. We do make your own yogurt parfaits almost every day. Yogurt, fruit, nuts, chocolate chips, sunflower seeds, coconut and other stuff. Sometimes I’ll do oatmeal and put out five or six toppings.
Breakfast served buffet style: stack of flame warmed flour and corn tortillas (separate of course), warming tray with scrambled egg, crumbled chorizo sausage, black beans (canned, with a spoon of chipotle for zip); bowls for avocado, fresh salsa, grated cheese, sour cream, cilantro. Fruit may be pineapple chunks and melon; toasted banana bread. So some one takes a plate and picks and chooses, often skipping tortilla altogether if low carb.
Because of the multi parts, this takes me an hour to get ready.

I did parfaits for a while, even bought glass cups for them (after I tried margarita glasses -- too top heavy -- and dumped a pair on the table of a very proper elderly couple, retired judge). But after a half year, I quit: to me they looked good for a few bites then turned into glop and were seldom finished. Plus, in PNW, parfaits are not appreciated: it's go solid or go smoothie, and I can't go there ;-)

We do the same but offer scrambled eggs if guests don't like the casserole or elegant eggs dish. Quick to fix.

Back