During the day ....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olga

Reaction score
Question about in and outs of a guest. Do you allow your guest(s) to come and go as they wish during the day for whatever reason? Do they have a code to go in and out, or a key. Or do you prefer the guests to be gone the entire day? Especially when nobody is in your b&b because you are out doing errands etc.

our guests have their own key and they could come and go as they please. Anything else to me would be unacceptable.

they have a key and come and go as they like - frankly guests where I am wouldn't stand for anything else. I read in a ebook that we should basically chuck them out between 11 and 3 so we could have a break! nearly fell off my chair laughing!

our guests have their own key and they could come and go as they please. Anything else to me would be unacceptable..
We have always been "come and go as you please" - anything less and hotels chalk up one on US! I have had guests ask if there is a curfew and we tell them they look like adults to us. We lock up when the last guest gets in - and if they plan a late night, tell them to just push the door shut when they come in. Our long-term guests have keys and stay-overs do also.

They have a code, can go in and out as they please. Guests often come back in the late afternoon to relax before dinner. I don't think I would stay some place that would lock me out. If they aren't out by a certain hour, they are told that their room won't be refreshed, though. But they are welcome to spend the day as they please, the paid for it, they can use it.

Let me ask you, Olga... If you were looking for accommodations and read on the website that the inn was closed between 11 and 3 and you would not be able to be in your room or on the property, would you book the property? Would you check other places? Would you rule them out?
Quite frankly I would rule them out unless they were the ONLY choice! Even if I were planning to be out all day I would rule them out.
Needless to say, once a guest checks in here, they come and go as they wish!

Let me ask you, Olga... If you were looking for accommodations and read on the website that the inn was closed between 11 and 3 and you would not be able to be in your room or on the property, would you book the property? Would you check other places? Would you rule them out?
Quite frankly I would rule them out unless they were the ONLY choice! Even if I were planning to be out all day I would rule them out.
Needless to say, once a guest checks in here, they come and go as they wish!.
It was just a general question ...
But for me, it would depend on why I was in the area to begin with. When growing up, and going on vacation, we always stayed at hotels/motels. We were always out the entire day -- morning til evening.
But today if I saw they were closed between 11 and 3 ... no it wouldn't bother me. I know a b&b isn't the same as a hotel/motel, and that it is somebodys home.

It is their place while they are registered guests. They have the front door code and can spend all day here, inside or out, or go wherever they wish.

You should never have a B&B that is not lockable when you are away, ie your innkeepers areas should be off limits and you can lock them up EVEN IF YOU ARE HOME and want a break, or need to go out. The guest area should be accessible 24/7 for the guests.

You should never have a B&B that is not lockable when you are away, ie your innkeepers areas should be off limits and you can lock them up EVEN IF YOU ARE HOME and want a break, or need to go out. The guest area should be accessible 24/7 for the guests..
That makes sense. As long as the Innkeeper and guests are comfortable.

You should never have a B&B that is not lockable when you are away, ie your innkeepers areas should be off limits and you can lock them up EVEN IF YOU ARE HOME and want a break, or need to go out. The guest area should be accessible 24/7 for the guests..
We may leave the front door unlocked but our side of the house has locks - and they are used. Each guest room has a dead bolt lock. Stay over and long term guests get their room key and a key to the kitchen door dead bolt. The front door has a skeleton key so it is never used for the lock - except times like 2011 when we were gone for a month. We can lock it to the outside world, but guests can still turn the knob and get out - as long as the key is not used. Once that key gets turned the knob will not turn for either side. The turn and still locked is nice for guests safety.

That makes sense. As long as the Innkeeper and guests are comfortable.
Do you currently run a B & B? Or just starting??? Just curious because of some of your recent questions?

Guests have a key to their room and the code to the front door. They come and go as they want. Sure, it would be nice if they went out during the day, but I can't make them do that!
Yes, I leave the inn during the day to run errands when guests are here. That's why there is nothing in the guest space (other than the kitchen) that the guests cannot have access to. All personal, business and other records, data and money are behind a locked door.

I would never stay somewhere that I couldn't come & go as I please. What if I'm sight seeing and my dh gets tired? We might need to come back so he can rest. What if we go kayaking and get wet, muddy? We need a shower and some clean clothes. What if we are there for an event and just need to come back and change into more casual clothes for the rest of the day. You get my drift...
Also, curfews are definitely a thing of the past! We did have suggested "quiet hours" so that other guests would not be disturbed.
Regardless, of why YOU think your guests are staying with you, you really have no idea.
A front door with a key pad lock and guest room keys here. If I had to leave the property or even if I was in our second house, I locked our private quarters. There have been stories here on the forum where guests strayed into areas they shouldn't, even with the innkeepers right there!!

Having the inn unaccessible to guests at ANY time during their stay is one of the reasons people avoid B&Bs. Too many restrictions, too many rules. Certainly not a "Better Way To Stay". I'd never even think about it.

We run errands throughout the day and guests can come and go as they please. It is certainly a lot easier to clean when they are out but we work around that as best we can.

Guests can come and go as they please-they have a key for the front door and one for their room-we do have quiet time between 10PM-7AM....other than that we do go out when guests are in the Inn, if we cant leave no one would be getting b-fast. When we got this job the owner wanted someone here 24/7-sorry no can do-we do however take the cell phone which the inn phone is forwarded to it...if we have no check-ins one day we do take the time off to do what we want although we are still "on call" and cant venture too far from the Inn which is customary for all innkeepers that we know. I wouldnt go to an Inn that I cant come and go when I want to-way to restrictive even if most of the guests do leave all day returning late afternoon-I may want a sieste since I will be on vacation...

Back