Dust Bunnies

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We look for all that and more on a flip. Baseboards get dusted when each room is flipped. We wash them when we can. We dust under the beds almot every day when we also check for any dead creatures. (It is the South and we spray for bugs....)

Bree,
I applaud you! I have worked at places that sound exactly like this and it always freaks me out! Do these people not clean and how are they getting away with it!? I try to leave a place in better shape than when I got there and some places it is hard to do and other places - piece of cake.
Just recently I left a note for the owner saying that if I had started cleaning properly it would have taken me 3 days. I told him to retrain his cleaning person (I knew he had one, but since I was there it was my job) I told him the rooms were as "guest ready" as when I arrived. Of course I didn't know how bad they were until after the guests checked out. I was embarassed for myself - I took it as a reflection on me since I was the person they were seeing.
Now I get to a place in time to go into rooms b4 guests arrive so I can fix any glaring problems.
Yes, I think bugs can get into a bed when sheets are left on there too long...that is why I posed that question earlier - I just didn't know if anyone did anything about it.

Bree,
I applaud you! I have worked at places that sound exactly like this and it always freaks me out! Do these people not clean and how are they getting away with it!? I try to leave a place in better shape than when I got there and some places it is hard to do and other places - piece of cake.
Just recently I left a note for the owner saying that if I had started cleaning properly it would have taken me 3 days. I told him to retrain his cleaning person (I knew he had one, but since I was there it was my job) I told him the rooms were as "guest ready" as when I arrived. Of course I didn't know how bad they were until after the guests checked out. I was embarassed for myself - I took it as a reflection on me since I was the person they were seeing.
Now I get to a place in time to go into rooms b4 guests arrive so I can fix any glaring problems.
Yes, I think bugs can get into a bed when sheets are left on there too long...that is why I posed that question earlier - I just didn't know if anyone did anything about it..
Yes, I think bugs can get into a bed when sheets are left on there too long...that is why I posed that question earlier - I just didn't know if anyone did anything about it
Had not even thought of that.

Bree,
Yes, I think bugs can get into a bed when sheets are left on there too long...that is why I posed that question earlier - I just didn't know if anyone did anything about it..
Yes, I think bugs can get into a bed when sheets are left on there too long...that is why I posed that question earlier - I just didn't know if anyone did anything about it
Yes, I think bugs can get into a bed when sheets are left on there too long...
bugs can get in anywhere, but if linens are clean, when put on, why would they??? When we closed our place, I had cleaned everything..not know who might visit us and when. THen we had a medical emergency...the rooms stayed that way for more than 6 months..we never got any bugs in the room let alone in the beds.... I don't know..just seemed like a weird statement to me...sorry :-(

When you make the bed tight there is no bug crawl space in them. A bug could crawl across a bed any time it wants to. But I am sure this forum are pretty dang careful about not having bugs crawling around their rooms.

When you make the bed tight there is no bug crawl space in them. A bug could crawl across a bed any time it wants to. But I am sure this forum are pretty dang careful about not having bugs crawling around their rooms..
I have to tell this. It is one of my 'OMG, where did THAT come from?' stories. I was making a bed one day (stayover) and was just going to adjust the comforter a bit but then decided to remake the whole bed. Pulled the pillows off the bed and there was a honking big 'grub' under the pillow. I have no idea how that even got IN the house, much less UP the stairs. I actually backed away from the bed and screamed. It must have come in on their clothes or in their suitcase as I've never seen anything like that before or after. It was so out of place I hoped I hadn't thrown out a 'pet'! But out it went.

When you make the bed tight there is no bug crawl space in them. A bug could crawl across a bed any time it wants to. But I am sure this forum are pretty dang careful about not having bugs crawling around their rooms..
Bugs can find their way in into the tiniest cracks. Houses aren't hermitically sealed or anything! ;-)

Despite my best efforts, sometimes a neglected dust bunny will hop out from under a bed (or other piece of furniture) I just swiffered within the past week.

Bugs can find their way in into the tiniest cracks. Houses aren't hermitically sealed or anything! ;-)
As the recent gathering of "lady bugs" at my place will attest to.

Bree,
Yes, I think bugs can get into a bed when sheets are left on there too long...
bugs can get in anywhere, but if linens are clean, when put on, why would they??? When we closed our place, I had cleaned everything..not know who might visit us and when. THen we had a medical emergency...the rooms stayed that way for more than 6 months..we never got any bugs in the room let alone in the beds.... I don't know..just seemed like a weird statement to me...sorry :-(
I have to disagree. I made a bed and within 6 hours guests checked in. Guest commented the next morning there was a bug beneath the pillow. Did the bug crawl in from outside to get out of the cold? Room was 4 months old, sheets were fresh from washer/dryer. Those dangged "lady bugs" can get in ANYWHERE!

Despite my best efforts, sometimes a neglected dust bunny will hop out from under a bed (or other piece of furniture) I just swiffered within the past week..
remnjava said:
Despite my best efforts, sometimes a neglected dust bunny will hop out from under a bed (or other piece of furniture) I just swiffered within the past week.
Oh, here, too. But I bet you can't SEE dust on the tops of your pillows!

Despite my best efforts, sometimes a neglected dust bunny will hop out from under a bed (or other piece of furniture) I just swiffered within the past week..
remnjava said:
The fellow Dr. Oz had on yesterday, said he traveled with his own, allergy proof pillow protector and mattress cover!!!! Now that to me was really strange.
I can't imagine...changing the sheets and putting on my own mattress cover when traveling!!! I just bring my own pillow wherever I go.

remnjava said:
The fellow Dr. Oz had on yesterday, said he traveled with his own, allergy proof pillow protector and mattress cover!!!! Now that to me was really strange.
I can't imagine...changing the sheets and putting on my own mattress cover when traveling!!! I just bring my own pillow wherever I go.
If he's going that far, he should be bringing his own sheets and blankets as well.
Is there a place on that website to let the traveling public know that B&B's WASH everything?

remnjava said:
Was his name Adrian Monk?

remnjava said:
I should HOPE not! :) I think I erased the show and can't find the name of the expert (or recognize it) on his website.

remnjava said:
Funny. When I'm training new innkeepers to do room inspections, I always use Monk as an example.
I tell new innkeepers that if it won't pass a Monk inspection, it's not ready to go yet. It needs to be perfect. Not really clean, but perfectly clean. White glove, ultraviolet light. Whatever you can imagine as the test, inspect with that in mind.
Guests have no patience whatsoever for the slightest amount of dirt/dust/whatever.
And that goes double for guests who are innkeepers when they're not being guests.

remnjava said:
Funny. When I'm training new innkeepers to do room inspections, I always use Monk as an example.
I tell new innkeepers that if it won't pass a Monk inspection, it's not ready to go yet. It needs to be perfect. Not really clean, but perfectly clean. White glove, ultraviolet light. Whatever you can imagine as the test, inspect with that in mind.
Guests have no patience whatsoever for the slightest amount of dirt/dust/whatever.
And that goes double for guests who are innkeepers when they're not being guests.
I'm trying to figure out who I know with one of those lights. We had a forensic scientist here a few weeks ago and if she comes back I MIGHT ask her if she could bring along part of her SOC's kit. Maybe.

remnjava said:
I'm trying to figure out who I know with one of those lights. We had a forensic scientist here a few weeks ago and if she comes back I MIGHT ask her if she could bring along part of her SOC's kit. Maybe.
I get those kits they sell on American Hotel that come with both the portable light and the invisible ink. I use them both for training innkeepers on how to make a thorough inspection - and for training housekeepers.
They don't cost very much. And you don't have to use them all that often. Once you have trained staff and they know about the light kits coming after them, it's amazing how much cleaner things get.
I think they're around $30 or so.

You could always allow a training at your B&B for the local police dept, crime scene training. I am sure they would love that! In my former life I went to school to be a crime lab photographer (crime scene forensic photography), in that training we had models and blood and crime scenes we had to photograph properly. ie blood on an amber coca cola bottle etc etc. It was pre digital too, so it was all lab work. I was "this close" to becoming a police officer to do fulflil the crime lab photography as my career choice. Was also pre CSI and all those shows.

Back