Dust Bunnies

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could always allow a training at your B&B for the local police dept, crime scene training. I am sure they would love that! In my former life I went to school to be a crime lab photographer (crime scene forensic photography), in that training we had models and blood and crime scenes we had to photograph properly. ie blood on an amber coca cola bottle etc etc. It was pre digital too, so it was all lab work. I was "this close" to becoming a police officer to do fulflil the crime lab photography as my career choice. Was also pre CSI and all those shows..
Now there's a new revenue stream for you: crime scene training.

Despite my best efforts, sometimes a neglected dust bunny will hop out from under a bed (or other piece of furniture) I just swiffered within the past week..
remnjava said:
Despite my best efforts, sometimes a neglected dust bunny will hop out from under a bed (or other piece of furniture) I just swiffered within the past week.
Oh, here, too. But I bet you can't SEE dust on the tops of your pillows!
The fellow Dr. Oz had on yesterday, said he traveled with his own, allergy proof pillow protector and mattress cover!!!! Now that to me was really strange.
I can't imagine...changing the sheets and putting on my own mattress cover when traveling!!! I just bring my own pillow wherever I go.
Was his name Adrian Monk?
Funny. When I'm training new innkeepers to do room inspections, I always use Monk as an example.
I tell new innkeepers that if it won't pass a Monk inspection, it's not ready to go yet. It needs to be perfect. Not really clean, but perfectly clean. White glove, ultraviolet light. Whatever you can imagine as the test, inspect with that in mind.
Guests have no patience whatsoever for the slightest amount of dirt/dust/whatever.
And that goes double for guests who are innkeepers when they're not being guests.
Yes, there is something about "other peoples dirt" that really gets people all worked up
sad_smile.gif
. Could be dirt from the same place (for the beach for example) dragged in by someone else, but still it does belong to someone else so its gross.

You could always allow a training at your B&B for the local police dept, crime scene training. I am sure they would love that! In my former life I went to school to be a crime lab photographer (crime scene forensic photography), in that training we had models and blood and crime scenes we had to photograph properly. ie blood on an amber coca cola bottle etc etc. It was pre digital too, so it was all lab work. I was "this close" to becoming a police officer to do fulflil the crime lab photography as my career choice. Was also pre CSI and all those shows..
I am constantly amazed by you but it does explain some of your 'eye' for photog. Or maybe that came first...
I am going to digress here (which I'm really good at) and ask do you think you could have done that in real life? I mean for a length of time? I almost applied for a job where they would train me to do the crime scene lab work and part of the description for the job was that you had to be able to hike around in the woods in all kinds of weather for hours on end.
That got me to thinking about what exactly I might be photographing or 'collecting' out there in the woods and I decided I did not have the stomach for it. I love the science part of it but the reality was too much. Even if I could think about it in terms of helping the dead, having to see what had been wrought was not in my nature. (Not a realist I guess. Like my little fantasy world.)

I am constantly amazed by you but it does explain some of your 'eye' for photog. Or maybe that came first...
I am going to digress here (which I'm really good at) and ask do you think you could have done that in real life? I mean for a length of time? I almost applied for a job where they would train me to do the crime scene lab work and part of the description for the job was that you had to be able to hike around in the woods in all kinds of weather for hours on end.
That got me to thinking about what exactly I might be photographing or 'collecting' out there in the woods and I decided I did not have the stomach for it. I love the science part of it but the reality was too much. Even if I could think about it in terms of helping the dead, having to see what had been wrought was not in my nature. (Not a realist I guess. Like my little fantasy world.)
Absolutely. What I can't do is what many here on the forum have done- deal with pain, illness, disease and dying, emergency triage and the such. There is not a medical bone in my body.
Clarification: When I worked for the health dept, it was not in the 'health' side although I was around all the heads of nursing etc from the hospitals - you know when there was a lawsuit because a scalpel was found inside someones stomach cavity etc. That was enough to ensure I never went into that field! Bless their overstressed and overworked hearts! I worked for public/environmental health and really enjoyed it.

Back