Dust Bunnies

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
First off, I will admit right up front that I expect my guest room to be dust-free when I arrive. I expect clean bedding and clean towels. I don't expect obvious dirt stuck in the corners, etc. When the room is over $200/night, I'm even more picky. So, after my weekend getaway, here's my list of things that I would like to submit to the place I stayed, altho I did mention that the room wasn't all that clean:
  • Check the window sashes...the dead bugs should not have dust on them.
  • Check the 'secondary' bed...the pillow cases should also not have dusty dead bugs on them.
  • Buy a long-handled Swiffer and get those pesky old, dusty spider webs out of the corners and off the ceilings. (I don't mean the spider webs with an obviously active spider, those appear in minutes.)
  • Look at the back of the bathroom door once in awhile and clean it.
  • Get the crud out of the corners in the bathrooms.
  • Wipe down the baseboards.
  • Look in the guest books and remove your March, 2009 specials page.
  • Grout and caulk should not be moldy.
  • Look under the beds and dust there once in awhile.
  • With that same long-handled Swiffer, dust behind the furniture. (OK, I know you're all wondering if I MOVED furniture for that one, but I didn't, this is crud I could see from my bed.)
  • If the sheets you're putting on the bed are not really clean, get another set.
  • If the bedskirts are stained, wash them.
  • Take a look at the room when you think you're done cleaning. Then fix the things that are out of alignment.
  • If there is a light switch by the door, make sure it actually turns on a lamp.
And, yes, I will be going around and checking for all of that dust-related stuff here.

sorry, i had to say that, ,my shriveled up pruned fingers from scrubbing rooms made me

Bree said:
First off, I will admit right up front that I expect my guest room to be dust-free when I arrive. I expect clean bedding and clean towels. I don't expect obvious dirt stuck in the corners, etc. When the room is over $200/night, I'm even more picky. So, after my weekend getaway, here's my list of things that I would like to submit to the place I stayed, altho I did mention that the room wasn't all that clean:
  • Check the window sashes...the dead bugs should not have dust on them.
  • Check the 'secondary' bed...the pillow cases should also not have dusty dead bugs on them.
  • Buy a long-handled Swiffer and get those pesky old, dusty spider webs out of the corners and off the ceilings. (I don't mean the spider webs with an obviously active spider, those appear in minutes.)
  • Look at the back of the bathroom door once in awhile and clean it.
  • Get the crud out of the corners in the bathrooms.
  • Wipe down the baseboards.
  • Look in the guest books and remove your March, 2009 specials page.
  • Grout and caulk should not be moldy.
  • Look under the beds and dust there once in awhile.
  • With that same long-handled Swiffer, dust behind the furniture. (OK, I know you're all wondering if I MOVED furniture for that one, but I didn't, this is crud I could see from my bed.)
  • If the sheets you're putting on the bed are not really clean, get another set.
  • If the bedskirts are stained, wash them.
  • Take a look at the room when you think you're done cleaning. Then fix the things that are out of alignment.
  • If there is a light switch by the door, make sure it actually turns on a lamp.
And, yes, I will be going around and checking for all of that dust-related stuff here.
I agree totally! I had also stayed in more than 1 place that needed your list!!!!!!!!!
sad_smile.gif

The ONE time that suffering from OCD is of benefit. Everything here is perfect or I get highly agitated until I can fix it. :)

Or, instead of a long-handed swiffer get a long-handed lambs wool duster... my kids fight over who gets to use it. (Of course, they use it fo shoot each other more than to dust with...)
It fits into narrow little places and dusts both sides as it goes. And reaches up to crown molding.
=)
Kk.

Monday we did some deep cleaning. 4 youngest grandchildren were here all day. DH kept them in the morning and then he had a board meeting so I took off work to feed them lunch. Then we put fixings in the bread machine then went to the B&B. One helped me make beds and run errands. The other 3 used damp cloth then dry cloth to clean baseboards and around the edge of the rooms in all the rooms. Gets those areas that are hard for me.
Then the oldest helped me put plastic over 4 windows int he sun room.
Then we took dough out of bread machine and they helped make cinnamon rolls. Mom showed up early so they took 1 pan home with them to bake at home. They each got paid for their work too. Everyone was happy.

Did you mention this to your innkeepers?.
InnsiderInfo said:
Did you mention this to your innkeepers?
When I left I told them the room wasn't really clean. I didn't bring it up sooner because I was there with someone who goes there all the time. She had been doing all the talking/arrangements/etc. But, I paid the bill so I did mention it when we left. My friend is going to call the owner and talk to him. I told the front desk.
They took down my room number, but I don't think anything will be done. If they didn't see all of that before, my mentioning it isn't going to matter. Plus, we had TWO rooms and they both looked the same. So, maybe my room will get a once over, but not likely the other one will. Or, ALL of the guest rooms.
Annoying because this place gets written up a lot for all the good things (which were good), but it was also obvious they decorated specifically for the photos as nothing looked like that when we arrived.

InnsiderInfo said:
When I left I told them the room wasn't really clean. I didn't bring it up sooner because I was there with someone who goes there all the time. She had been doing all the talking/arrangements/etc. But, I paid the bill so I did mention it when we left. My friend is going to call the owner and talk to him. I told the front desk.
They took down my room number, but I don't think anything will be done. If they didn't see all of that before, my mentioning it isn't going to matter. Plus, we had TWO rooms and they both looked the same. So, maybe my room will get a once over, but not likely the other one will. Or, ALL of the guest rooms.
Annoying because this place gets written up a lot for all the good things (which were good), but it was also obvious they decorated specifically for the photos as nothing looked like that when we arrived.
I'm glad to hear you said something. If it were my place I would want to know these things. At least you tried.

InnsiderInfo said:
I'm glad to hear you said something. If it were my place I would want to know these things. At least you tried.
InnsiderInfo said:
I am paranoid about the bugs on the porch right now. It was 74 today and I don't want anyone who does not realize these bugs are just huddled up to the warm siding before they keel over, to think we are infested with bugs or something. I am making a point of bringing this up to guests, ladybugs ARE getting in right now as well. Not sure bad, but I am finding them in the rooms. Please tell me so I can explain!!!
Also there is a tiny little bird who is sleeping at night on a chair and dropping his doo on the porch. I can't catch this dude at all...he takes off and comes back when I go inside.

InnsiderInfo said:
InnsiderInfo said:
I am paranoid about the bugs on the porch right now. It was 74 today and I don't want anyone who does not realize these bugs are just huddled up to the warm siding before they keel over, to think we are infested with bugs or something. I am making a point of bringing this up to guests, ladybugs ARE getting in right now as well. Not sure bad, but I am finding them in the rooms. Please tell me so I can explain!!!
Also there is a tiny little bird who is sleeping at night on a chair and dropping his doo on the porch. I can't catch this dude at all...he takes off and comes back when I go inside.
It is freakishly warm here today as well and the ladybugs and stinkbugs are having a resurgence. I keep telling people the less time they leave the front door open the less chance they will get in but they stand there yakking and holding it open.
confused_smile.gif
I seriously feel like I am in a pressure cooker...every little thing is getting under my skin so badly and there's just no way to vent the system. I am not fit to be around people, let along trying to be hospitable to them.

Great list! I have said it before clean your fans. I hate to look up and see dirt on the fans. I clean fans once a month and it only take minutes when you do it often.
We had a rental and they renters never cleaned the fans in two years. They smoked even tho it was in the lease not to. Guess what we threw the fans away. I was not going to clean nictine and tar off besides all the dust.

So Bree, what was the deal? Was the place closed up for a while or something? Someone asked about how long to leave sheets on a bed between guests, why the dusty dead bugs there? Any idea?

Bree, that's a great list! So, this leads to the question of how often do you do a deep clean? Walls, windows, floors,etc? After reading this list I found myself checking every nook and cranny and yes, I did notice on the back of one of the bathroom doors a little dust around the raised panels. It's not a place I usually look but I will EVERY time I clean the bathroom now. I guess the safest thing to do is try to do a deep clean every time the rooms gets turned.

So Bree, what was the deal? Was the place closed up for a while or something? Someone asked about how long to leave sheets on a bed between guests, why the dusty dead bugs there? Any idea?.
Joey Bloggs said:
So Bree, what was the deal? Was the place closed up for a while or something? Someone asked about how long to leave sheets on a bed between guests, why the dusty dead bugs there? Any idea?
This place was just coming out of high peak season. We hit just as they started shoulder season. My guess is they either don't have enough staff or the staff they have hasn't been followed up on in awhile. I was going to write on the comment card that now they are in the traditional 'low' month for the location, they should do some deep cleaning, but it's not my place to tell them how to run their biz.

Bree, that's a great list! So, this leads to the question of how often do you do a deep clean? Walls, windows, floors,etc? After reading this list I found myself checking every nook and cranny and yes, I did notice on the back of one of the bathroom doors a little dust around the raised panels. It's not a place I usually look but I will EVERY time I clean the bathroom now. I guess the safest thing to do is try to do a deep clean every time the rooms gets turned..
We do the deep cleaning in May, just before we hit the really busy season. I had planned to do it twice/year but it is just too much at this time of year to even think about it!
However, I am married to the king of clean. He does a complete clean of the bathrooms everyday, even on a fluff. That keeps things clean. Just this weekend, while I was gone, he said a guest came downstairs and asked him how the heck he kept everything so clean.
I am not kidding that the issues I saw would have taken the housekeeper all of 3 extra minutes in the room on a flip. If it was done every flip it wouldn't even take 3 minutes.

Back