Dusters for ceiling fans

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the new swiffer duster?
Any recommendations for dusters for cleaning ceiling fans other than using a hose on the vacuum?

I stand on a stool and use a wet cloth so the dust will not fly all over.
I clean them once a month so they are not over the top dirty when I do.

Home Depot / Lowes has a brush that is oblong and has a hole in the middle, slides over the ceiling fan blades and is on a long (extendable) pole, just bought one, they are about $10

haha
one house i rented had a ceiling fan about 20 feet up ... i bought a telescoping thing and got a little too agressive with it because the fan blades were really dirty ... greasy dust. the duster part came off the pole and got stuck over the ceiling fan blade. so i'm down below, cursing the pleading with the thing to come off because i can't get the pole back in the screw thing and i don't have a tall ladder.
lightbulb.gif
i turn on the fan ever so slightly, then crank it and cover my head. the duster thing comes flying off and lands at my feet. tada! anyway. i bought the telescoping fan duster off qvc (a couple years back) and recommend that you use a dusting product on it like endust or pledge or murphy's oil soap so that the dust comes off if it's icky like the fan blades i was trying to clean.
as for the swiffer duster, i like the swiffers. funny that the cleaning agent leaves a smell that to me is like beer? just my nose i thought. then someone walked in and said, 'did someone spill beer in here?'
regular_smile.gif
the smell faded.

I have the swiffer with the short andle and the one with the long handle. I love them. I can get behind the beds without moving them, over the tops of the doorways, the tops of the sprinkler system, in the radiators, under the fireplace stoves, etc.
If your ceiling fans are 'out of reach' that pole system that ag1963 mentioned is a good alternative. I can reach all ov my fans with the long swiffer and it folds back at an angle. It's still not easy because the fan moves as you're trying to dust.

I have a "Mr. Long Arm" (seriously, that is the brand) with an attachment to get to the higher ceilings in our house next door. I used to use it for our 2 story vaulted ceilings in another house. I also try to spray with some kind of cleaner so that dust doesn't fly down.
I can get to most anything with the Swiffer extension & the dust doesn't go flying. It is a good idea if your beds are stripped and you can vacuum the mattress after cleaning the ceiling fans. (That is for the truly compulsive cleaners. haha!) I try to do the ceiling fan blades at least once a week so there's not much there. But even so, for some reason this old house seems to be a dust magnet! And the spiders make their little cobwebs 24/7.
angry_smile.gif

I have the swiffer with the short andle and the one with the long handle. I love them. I can get behind the beds without moving them, over the tops of the doorways, the tops of the sprinkler system, in the radiators, under the fireplace stoves, etc.
If your ceiling fans are 'out of reach' that pole system that ag1963 mentioned is a good alternative. I can reach all ov my fans with the long swiffer and it folds back at an angle. It's still not easy because the fan moves as you're trying to dust..
Bree said:
I have the swiffer with the short andle and the one with the long handle. I love them. I can get behind the beds without moving them...
ah HA!!!
And that's why I read the forum every day...
=)
Kk.

If your ceiling fans are 'out of reach' that pole system that ag1963 mentioned is a good alternative. I can reach all ov my fans with the long swiffer and it folds back at an angle. It's still not easy because the fan moves as you're trying to dust..
Bree said:
I have the swiffer with the short andle and the one with the long handle. I love them. I can get behind the beds without moving them...
ah HA!!!
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
ah HA!!!
=)
Kk.
and here I thought it was cuz I have such a pretty face!
(for a groundhog that is)

Bree said:
ah HA!!!
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
ah HA!!!
=)
Kk.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
ah HA!!!
=)
Kk.
We shoots groundhawgs where ah come from.
But maybe not the ones with the pretty faces.
wink_smile.gif

=)
Kk.

Back