Dusting In The Sidelight

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
Just for what it may be worth to someone...
I have wood floors. I always clean them, and dust everything else, with all the room lights on, so I don't miss anything.
But lately I'm discovering that when I enter a clean room with the lights off and only light coming in through the doorway and windows, I see dust on counters and crumbs on the floors that I missed with the overhead lights on.
I'm thinking the light coming in low and from the side must be a good thing. So now I'm cleaning with the lights on, then turning the lights off and making one last look around, with my back to the window, to check for things I've missed. It works!

Ha. Before I clicked on this thread, I thought it was going to be a marketing blog tip from JB.

I hate this time of year. ALL the light is low and slanting thru the windows. I just turn on all the lights and pretend it's summer.

Ok Arkie I will now be singing 'Dusting in the Sidelight' to the tune of Dancing in the Moonlight. Uggg
Early AM is the worst (or best) time for me to see all that was left behind. Yikes! Then it is the quick dust mop tour around the rooms while breakfast is cooking and everyone gets up.

Better yet, we should all hand out Rose colored glasses upon check in.
shades_smile.gif

I too pictured a dashing innkeeper making a broad dancing sweep and circles around the room with a duster.

The sight is not what it was. I try to keep a lookout in daylight during different times of day, also roomlight. Different lights reveal dust or cobwebs in different places. Maddening, but if I see it, I get it NOW, because when the light changes I might not see it again! Those of you with over 50 eyes will know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Keeping those multifiber dusters on a stick in more than one place helps.

The sight is not what it was. I try to keep a lookout in daylight during different times of day, also roomlight. Different lights reveal dust or cobwebs in different places. Maddening, but if I see it, I get it NOW, because when the light changes I might not see it again! Those of you with over 50 eyes will know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Keeping those multifiber dusters on a stick in more than one place helps..
Skamokawa said:
Those of you with over 50 eyes will know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.
Love it.

Back