Duvet vs blanket and other stuff from vacation

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
We always made the beds ‘the way mom used to,’ with top sheet, blanket, coverlet. I am here to say that after two weeks in Scotland I am sold on the duvet system. Yes, a bit of work getting the cover on the duvet, but that’s it. Bottom sheet + duvet = done. You’re washing one sheet, pillowcases, one duvet cover, times x number of rooms. So simple.

And may I say I have never had towels as large as every place had. We stayed at 7 different places — hotels, inns, castles, b&b’s — they all had huge, fluffy bath sheets.

I’ve never stayed anywhere that was consistently as friendly, helpful, generous as were the people we met.

The Radisson (not a high end hotel around here) had smoked salmon (a huge side of salmon) and salmon filets on the buffet.

I was remarkably impressed with the dedication and kindness. One guy was running an 11 room hotel with himself, one housekeeper, and someone we didn’t meet who cooked the breakfast. He was running the pub until closing, then up in a suit to serve breakfast, then all the usual stuff we all do, and he also drove us back and forth into town for dinner because his dinner chef quit and he hadn’t found another. (And, he also drove the housekeeper back and forth as there was no public transportation.) No idea how long he was going to keep up that pace, but he was unbelievably generous to us.

It’s not a pace I could keep up, but it’s an amazing gift to guests if you can.

There was one place in two weeks that told us to go away and come back at three for checkin. Everyone else let us in when we arrived. We were on a walking tour so some days we got in at noon and other days after five. Depending on the walk.

I’m embarrassed now that I wasn’t like the welcoming people I met on this trip.

Actually, we do top sheet, then duvet. And we use the inverted duvet cover roll system to put them on. We take their luggage early, but check-in is after 3PM. We just can't get the rooms ready in time otherwise. But we always take luggage.

My bath sheets in the Gillum bathroom are 40 inches by 80 inches. I am very glad you had such a wonderful trip. High time you enjoy yourselves!

A vacation in the middle of summer! (Of course I always zero in on the tangential info!) sounds like a lovely vacation! Happy for you!

I am here to say that after two weeks in Scotland I am sold on the duvet system...I’m embarrassed now that I wasn’t like the welcoming people I met on this trip.
Glad you had a great vacation! I've found very friendly folks all over the British Isles, with the Irish taking the grand prize.

I use bottom and top sheets under the duvet, strictly because I've gotten hot under the duvets in UK and don't like that the only options are duvet or nothing on top of you.

I like the option to throw off the duvet and still have a top sheet for a little warmth. And, of course, I rely on the top sheet to protect me from vampires.

It was a shock coming back and finding the towels at La Quinta so tiny and thin.
I consider what the industry calls a "bath towel" to be a hair towel. The towels in the shared bath are regular size bath sheets - the Gillum has the largest ones.

Glad you had a great vacation! I've found very friendly folks all over the British Isles, with the Irish taking the grand prize.

I use bottom and top sheets under the duvet, strictly because I've gotten hot under the duvets in UK and don't like that the only options are duvet or nothing on top of you.

I like the option to throw off the duvet and still have a top sheet for a little warmth. And, of course, I rely on the top sheet to protect me from vampires.
I agree. I like something over me so need the top sheet, but nights can turn chilly so the duvet stays too on my bed - I have summer quilts on guest beds.

Funny I was just thinking about switching to duvets. I know I love them in places we stay (so snuggly) but not sure how to implement in my own B&B. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Funny I was just thinking about switching to duvets. I know I love them in places we stay (so snuggly) but not sure how to implement in my own B&B. Any suggestions would be welcome!
Odd guy with the motel. We follow the hotel style of triple sheets (all flat sheets) bottom sheet, next sheet, blanket, top sheet. Looks clean, seems to appeal to most guests.

We had duvets in the winter, not all year. (But they were in addition to everything else, so they did not save any time!) My best suggestion is to get covers that fit closely, without a lot of extra space around the duvet. I’m not sure why it was so difficult for me to find covers that fit snugly.

And make sure you have non-feather duvets for people with allergies.

A vacation in the middle of summer! (Of course I always zero in on the tangential info!) sounds like a lovely vacation! Happy for you!
First time in forever! We just beat the crush, which generally starts around the second week in July over there.

Actually, we do top sheet, then duvet. And we use the inverted duvet cover roll system to put them on. We take their luggage early, but check-in is after 3PM. We just can't get the rooms ready in time otherwise. But we always take luggage.
What type of blanket/filler do you use in the duvet? Do you switch the "filler" out seasonally?

What type of blanket/filler do you use in the duvet? Do you switch the "filler" out seasonally?

I had down-filled for winter and I used a blanket for summer. I sewed Velcro into the corners of the duvet and into the corners of the covers (small buttons and crochet chain loops on some) to hold in place. I did not impede removal for laundering that much. I use the inverted cover & roll method - it makes it so easy to change them.

We use the all season. AZ code is B01JPECQBM which is 250gr and is almost perfectly square in Queen, so you can't really screw it up putting it in.
Don't buy the cheap Chinese goods with fancy Scandinavian names duvets or duvet covers... they aren't standard sizes.

We follow the hotel style of triple sheets (all flat sheets) bottom sheet, next sheet, blanket, top sheet.
Why would you forego a fitted bottom sheet? They are, as they say, "The best thing since sliced bread."
I turned against triple sheets the first time my nightly toss and turn let me feel that blanket against my face!

Why would you forego a fitted bottom sheet? They are, as they say, "The best thing since sliced bread."
I turned against triple sheets the first time my nightly toss and turn let me feel that blanket against my face!
Easy answer, you wouldn't want "me" to make your bed and the wife wanted to use flat sheets. Happy wife, happy life. We use oversize sheets, so they do seem to stay in place pretty well. No more recently, daughter does most of the room servicing, can't say that the sheets won't change in the future.

Back