Duvet You Say????

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, what a truly interesting post! I know this is an old thread, but I appreciated reading everyone's suggestions about bed linens. I don't know if it's poor form to chime in 4 years late (lol), so forgive me if reviving this thread is annoying.
I have his & hers blankets & comforters on my personal bed. I don't know how other couples manage without this arrangement!
All of my guests' beds have a top sheet, inexpensive woven cotton blanket ($40 @Targé, still look great after 6 years!), and duvet with duvet cover OR a thin quilted bedspread, depending on the season. Each room also has a spare blanket. I like having the choice between a blanket & a duvet, and I think my guests do, too. 2 blankets fit into one load of laundry, so it's not too much extra work. We're in a hot & humid climate and duvets would be impractical when the temp is over 100F. If you feel duvet covers are a hassle, look for ones that have ties inside the corners to secure them to the duvet, or sew some ties into the corners if you're handy with a needle & thread.
Side note: no roses or lace to be found at our B&B. Most of my sheets have a paisley or geometric pattern, while the blankets, duvets, & spreads are solid colors (tho the quilting provides a subtle pattern). The way I look at it, I want my linens to look crisp & clean, and I want all of my guests to feel cozy. The guys I know do not like roses and lace, and my guests have commented that they like that the rooms don't "look like grandma's house"..
This Granny does not go in for roses and lace - lace is too delicate for a ham-handed Granny. I have doilies to protect my wood mantles. The no muss/no fuss is how this Granny operates. I get locally-made UN-scented soaps so my guys do not have to smell like a garden.
Every now and then, a guest will refer to us as Grandma's house but they always seem to make it the place you WANT to go to. Grandma's house was where they goodies were - home meant what was "good for you". Grandma's house is not something to be put down. Not taking it personally, but every time it is mentioned re a B & B, it is a put-down. (PS: Many B & Bs are operated by Grandmas.)

Wow, what a truly interesting post! I know this is an old thread, but I appreciated reading everyone's suggestions about bed linens. I don't know if it's poor form to chime in 4 years late (lol), so forgive me if reviving this thread is annoying.
I have his & hers blankets & comforters on my personal bed. I don't know how other couples manage without this arrangement!
All of my guests' beds have a top sheet, inexpensive woven cotton blanket ($40 @Targé, still look great after 6 years!), and duvet with duvet cover OR a thin quilted bedspread, depending on the season. Each room also has a spare blanket. I like having the choice between a blanket & a duvet, and I think my guests do, too. 2 blankets fit into one load of laundry, so it's not too much extra work. We're in a hot & humid climate and duvets would be impractical when the temp is over 100F. If you feel duvet covers are a hassle, look for ones that have ties inside the corners to secure them to the duvet, or sew some ties into the corners if you're handy with a needle & thread.
Side note: no roses or lace to be found at our B&B. Most of my sheets have a paisley or geometric pattern, while the blankets, duvets, & spreads are solid colors (tho the quilting provides a subtle pattern). The way I look at it, I want my linens to look crisp & clean, and I want all of my guests to feel cozy. The guys I know do not like roses and lace, and my guests have commented that they like that the rooms don't "look like grandma's house"..
This Granny does not go in for roses and lace - lace is too delicate for a ham-handed Granny. I have doilies to protect my wood mantles. The no muss/no fuss is how this Granny operates. I get locally-made UN-scented soaps so my guys do not have to smell like a garden.
Every now and then, a guest will refer to us as Grandma's house but they always seem to make it the place you WANT to go to. Grandma's house was where they goodies were - home meant what was "good for you". Grandma's house is not something to be put down. Not taking it personally, but every time it is mentioned re a B & B, it is a put-down. (PS: Many B & Bs are operated by Grandmas.)
This non-grandma meant no offense to all of the grandmas out there, especially my fellow innmates. The smell of our homemade baked goods in the oven should bring to mind comforting memories, and our hospitality should make our guests feel at home. However, outdated décor and shabby linens are often what folks are referring to when they say a B&B reminds them of grandma's house. I loved my grandma dearly. She was one heck of a cook, but her home was a hodgepodge of décor from the 1950s to 1970s, complete with floral wallpaper and linoleum floors. :)
(P.S. Please note that my comment was that guests appreciate that my rooms don't look like grandma's house. I didn't mean to infer that either me or my guests don't like grandmas!)

My grandmother had a chenille bedspread. The other grandparents never ever sat on their sofa... it was covered in vinyl.

I think granny’s is more of a feeling than a particular style, that warm feeling that granny was glad you stopped to visit.
We’re just a motel so no fancy lace in the rooms, but do try to send guests away with the feeling that they had visited family that cared.
For us our usual bath soap is Fells Naphtha, but guys don’t necessarily object to soap that smells good, think it was a guy on a motorcycle that commented that he was impressed with nice soap in the guest rooms.

notAgrandma I have his & hers blankets & comforters on my personal bed. I don't know how other couples manage without this [/quote said:
I don’t think I could keep two sets of covers from falling off the bed, to me most important is being close to the one that makes life worthwhile
Laugh for the day: still sleeping under the old blanket that was a wedding gift when we were teenagers, too many years to do different now

I think granny’s is more of a feeling than a particular style, that warm feeling that granny was glad you stopped to visit.
We’re just a motel so no fancy lace in the rooms, but do try to send guests away with the feeling that they had visited family that cared.
For us our usual bath soap is Fells Naphtha, but guys don’t necessarily object to soap that smells good, think it was a guy on a motorcycle that commented that he was impressed with nice soap in the guest rooms.
My Granny used Fels Naptha soap!
I truly believe too many people are to opinionated about decor to notice the feeling generated by the place. Decor is in the eyes of the beholder. I look for utility - and despise having to find a place for 6 pillows before I can get into bed. I do not want to throw them on the floor - but I might really want to sit in that comfortable (to even see if it IS comfortable) chair to read, but do not want to unload the pillows to the bed and then put them back on the chair. THAT is MY pet peeve - both hotels and B & B.

This non-grandma meant no offense to all of the grandmas out there, especially my fellow innmates. The smell of our homemade baked goods in the oven should bring to mind comforting memories, and our hospitality should make our guests feel at home. However, outdated décor and shabby linens are often what folks are referring to when they say a B&B reminds them of grandma's house. I loved my grandma dearly. She was one heck of a cook, but her home was a hodgepodge of décor from the 1950s to 1970s, complete with floral wallpaper and linoleum floors. :)
(P.S. Please note that my comment was that guests appreciate that my rooms don't look like grandma's house. I didn't mean to infer that either me or my guests don't like grandmas!)
Also there is a big difference between glowing with love and pride and - shabby and tatty

I truly believe too many people are to opinionated about decor to notice the feeling generated by the place. Decor is in the eyes of the beholder. I look for utility - and despise having to find a place for 6 pillows before I can get into bed. I do not want to throw them on the floor - but I might really want to sit in that comfortable (to even see if it IS comfortable) chair to read, but do not want to unload the pillows to the bed and then put them back on the chair. THAT is MY pet peeve - both hotels and B & B.
My favorite soap was what Maxine’s mom used to make from old cooking grease and Red Devil Lye in a kettle in the back yard. When mom quit making soap we used Octogon soap till it disappeared from the shelves a few years back.
Were you picking at me with part two (smile)? I agree with the issue of what to do with extra pillows, but then some guests seem to expect a pile of them.

My favorite soap was what Maxine’s mom used to make from old cooking grease and Red Devil Lye in a kettle in the back yard. When mom quit making soap we used Octogon soap till it disappeared from the shelves a few years back.
Were you picking at me with part two (smile)? I agree with the issue of what to do with extra pillows, but then some guests seem to expect a pile of them.
Octagon soap! Haven't thought about that in ages. We used that, too.
I switched to Ivory when I left home. Now I buy my soap at the farmers market from a gal in town.

Nope just my general peeve. I can understand the 4 pillows of different soft/hard or down/fiber (I have my extra pillows in dresser drawers or on the shelf in the closet) but 6 pillows plus shams that are NOT going to be slept on (we hope) is over the top.

Also there is a big difference between glowing with love and pride and - shabby and tatty
regular_smile.gif
heart.gif

Nope just my general peeve. I can understand the 4 pillows of different soft/hard or down/fiber (I have my extra pillows in dresser drawers or on the shelf in the closet) but 6 pillows plus shams that are NOT going to be slept on (we hope) is over the top.
I've gotten rid of my shams on 2 of the 4 beds & have been really happy with the result. Two fluffy pillows, 2 firm pillows, arranged in an upright, overlapping stack (think roof shingles). Prior to that, I used to take the shams & put them on the top shelf of the closet when I cleaned the room after the guests' first night. I've done this since day 1 -- got the idea from a B&B we stayed at years ago. Shams & throw pillows look nice when guests check in, but they almost always end up on the floor. And like you said, it's a pain in the neck as a guest to find homes for all of the decorative pillows when you actually want to use the bed!

Back