Duvet You Say????

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello
I am going to chime in too. I have used duvets for many a year now. I just LOVE them! .I have a queen size beds with 2 twin duvet on them. One for each person. I have three different weights of duvets. Depending on the seasons. My guest for the most part love them too. One the the biggest reasons is the women love the idea they don't have to fight holding on to their share of blankets. I use 2 sets of pillow case with a fitted sheet on the bottom an just duvet on top. My duvets have a zipper at the side so I can Easley slide the duvet inside the cover. I use duvet clips to keep the Corners from sliding down. I don't need to iron my covers but I do!I have three sets of covers for each room. Two patterned , one pastel color. I bought mine at Danidown in Vancouver BC. They wash up beautifully have kept the crispness wonderfully. After 8 years I retired them and bought new sets. We still use the old ones for our family guests. Yes you can send the covers out to a Landry service, I just wash my covers.But the duvet it self gets washed when needed. You can also buy duvet covers to protect the duvets it self. That way you never have to worry about bed bugs!!!!!!.
His and her duvets. What an interesting idea. Do all of your guests figure out why there are two twins?
Innkeep said:
His and her duvets. What an interesting idea. Do all of your guests figure out why there are two twins?
That's how beds are made in Germany. So nice not to have to fight over sheets and blankets, blech. I use them in my home, but cannot use them in the cottages. I could never keep up with the laundry. Instead, I use a linen service and they don't "Do" duvet covers :(

Ummmm, with a duvet cover you won't need a top sheet. The cover is the sheet. It's cotton the same as a sheet, except it's more wonderful. A sheet just screws up the sleepers
cry_smile.gif

Ummmm, with a duvet cover you won't need a top sheet. The cover is the sheet. It's cotton the same as a sheet, except it's more wonderful. A sheet just screws up the sleepers
cry_smile.gif
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Ummmm, with a duvet cover you won't need a top sheet.
I use both a top sheet and a covered duvet. Two reasons:
  1. Some people (like me) won't trust that the duvet cover is washed after every guest, so they'll appreciate a sheet between them and the duvet.
  2. Living in the south, a land of both heat and humidity, if I get hot in the night, I like options: keep top sheet and duvet over me, toss off the duvet and keep just the sheet, or toss off everything until I cool down. I wouldn't like only the options of all (duvet) or nothing.

Hello
I am going to chime in too. I have used duvets for many a year now. I just LOVE them! .I have a queen size beds with 2 twin duvet on them. One for each person. I have three different weights of duvets. Depending on the seasons. My guest for the most part love them too. One the the biggest reasons is the women love the idea they don't have to fight holding on to their share of blankets. I use 2 sets of pillow case with a fitted sheet on the bottom an just duvet on top. My duvets have a zipper at the side so I can Easley slide the duvet inside the cover. I use duvet clips to keep the Corners from sliding down. I don't need to iron my covers but I do!I have three sets of covers for each room. Two patterned , one pastel color. I bought mine at Danidown in Vancouver BC. They wash up beautifully have kept the crispness wonderfully. After 8 years I retired them and bought new sets. We still use the old ones for our family guests. Yes you can send the covers out to a Landry service, I just wash my covers.But the duvet it self gets washed when needed. You can also buy duvet covers to protect the duvets it self. That way you never have to worry about bed bugs!!!!!!.
Yes and they love it even the young. We wash the covers just the same as you wash your sheets. Hence why 3 sets of covers. Do the guest realize the covers are washed and Iron . Yes for sure.!!!!

Hello
Yes and they love it even the young. We wash the covers just the same as you wash your sheets. Hence why 3 sets of covers. Do the guest realize the covers are washed and Iron . Yes for sure.!!!!
As far as guest know it is washed and very clean as it has no wrinkles on the covers. Smells clean looks sparkling clean

Seems like the 2 duvets would be a problem, though, for someone sleeping alone and wanting the run of the whole bed. But for couples, a great idea!.
When we have one person sleeping in the bed we remove one duvet. So all they have is theirs. remember it is a queen size bed he or she is sleeping in. So not a problem. to have only one duvet on bed.

cry_smile.gif
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
  1. Some people (like me) won't trust that the duvet cover is washed after every guest, so they'll appreciate a sheet between them and the duvet.
  2. Living in the south, a land of both heat and humidity, if I get hot in the night, I like options: keep top sheet and duvet over me, toss off the duvet and keep just the sheet, or toss off everything until I cool down. I wouldn't like only the options of all (duvet) or nothing.
To reply to the heat I always keep a top sheet on the shelf. As some times women get very hot a night and like just the sheet. So a queen size sheet is there ( on the shelf for ) who ever wants it in the middle of the night. They usually put the duvet on the bench when it was not being used. Only once did some one just roll it up in a ball and threw it on the floor.In the summer here we hit in the high 90s to 110 . Our rooms have both a ceiling fan or AC.
Yes we have high heat here to as we are at the top end of the Sonora desert. Like I said before we have different weights of duvets. The lightest ones are just light weight batting or kordell filling. But the best are silk in the summer and down in the fall to winter.

Hello
We sleep with 2 twin duvets/covered on our queen bed. I love it! I got so tired of waking up in the middle of the night with my arse out in the open and I was freezing. I'm married to a bed hog.
It's a great compromise. We originally experienced the two duvet system when traveling in Europe many years ago and I knew at that instant that I was going to do it at home!
Yes I am married to a sheet hog who loves all his sheet wrapped right up to his head. Uk! to hot for me. We hubby and I have had single duvet for 30 years now and just would not go back ever to sheets and blankets. So easy to wash up and slip into duvet with covers. You can flip it ( duvet) off when ever you wish. It won't bother the next person.

cry_smile.gif
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Ah yes, that makes total sense. I keep forgetting that we are not trusted to wash our comforters and duvets. The heat where you all are - I keep forgetting that.
lightbulb.gif

cry_smile.gif
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
cry_smile.gif
Oh no, I have a duvet and top sheet, I had only a top sheet last night with our window open. I could never sleep under the duvet. And yet, this same week we had a frost (Tues morning I think it was) and then next day it was 90 degrees at 7pm!

cry_smile.gif
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
cry_smile.gif
Oh no, I have a duvet and top sheet, I had only a top sheet last night with our window open. I could never sleep under the duvet. And yet, this same week we had a frost (Tues morning I think it was) and then next day it was 90 degrees at 7pm!
I'll sleep with the duvet all year. In the winter I sometimes add a blanket. Otherwise, the duvet is good. It's very lightweight, but I know what you mean about sometimes just wanting the sheet.
Speaking of which...in the guest rooms it is time to remove the duvets! Yippee! They end up on the floor in the summer. Trampled and dirty.

cry_smile.gif
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
cry_smile.gif
I'll sleep with the duvet all year. In the winter I sometimes add a blanket. Otherwise, the duvet is good. It's very lightweight, but I know what you mean about sometimes just wanting the sheet.
Speaking of which...in the guest rooms it is time to remove the duvets! Yippee! They end up on the floor in the summer. Trampled and dirty.
We take out the duvet and sleep under a top sheet and the duvet cover. Otherwise, I would need a lightweight blanket, like an ibex blanket. I can't sleep without a cover/blanket. Just a top sheet isn't enough.

cry_smile.gif
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
cry_smile.gif
what we do is put on a top sheet in the summer - that way they can just have the sheet if they want - before I twigged to this keet finding duvetcovers taken off where they had just slept under the duvet cover

I might add that I, by myself, can put a king size duvet into a cover in 70 seconds, so don't let anybody tell you they're a huge pain. They're only a minor pain. Takes longer than a bedspread, but worth it IMHO.

cry_smile.gif
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
cry_smile.gif
what we do is put on a top sheet in the summer - that way they can just have the sheet if they want - before I twigged to this keet finding duvetcovers taken off where they had just slept under the duvet cover
...finding duvetcovers taken off where they had just slept under the duvet cover
I did that on my vacation in China years ago, and the others in my tour group were so happy when I told them how they could take the stuffing out of the thing and just sleep under the duvet cover. We were there a few weeks before the hotels would turn the air conditioning on for the season, and it was really warm. I spent one hot night on the floor by my open minibar refrigerator! You gotta do what you gotta do.

I might add that I, by myself, can put a king size duvet into a cover in 70 seconds, so don't let anybody tell you they're a huge pain. They're only a minor pain. Takes longer than a bedspread, but worth it IMHO..
I actually find them to be a major pain and am glad this is the week I remove them for the summer. Here's why...not every cover fits every duvet of the same supposed size. There is a constant struggle to find covers that fit the duvets or vice versa. My king duvet is about 6" shorter than the cover. Which means there is always room for the duvet to creep around. It needs to be shaken out every time the bed is made. Getting it 'squared up' is a royal pain.
Why do I do it? Lower heating bills.

I know im a little late for this thread-but the B&B we are working has Duvets-I HATE THEM. Its a pain to wash, its a pain to store, its a pain to make the bed not to mention they are a pain to replace when one is stained-and it does not take me 70 seconds (for me) to put them in-more like 15 minutes of putting them in the duvet then making sure its placed on the bed properly then making sure that its no wrinkled (unless you have a laundry service) we use homemade wrinkle release and they are all white....which is good for laundry (if you do your own) as you can bleach them but if you bleach them too much they end up with little holes as bleach wears it out. We did not have duvets we had nice comforters or spreads-I would not ever ever eve get duvets...
But that's just my opinion...PITAs that's what they are to me.

Hi,
Pretty old post but related to what I am looking for. I am looking for quilt covers and need in bulk here in Australia. Any idea, here in Australia its very expensive. I am looking from China or somewhere else.
I need the latest and fresh designs like in the photo;
bianca-ss14-akasha-blue-quilt-cover.jpg

Wow, what a truly interesting post! I know this is an old thread, but I appreciated reading everyone's suggestions about bed linens. I don't know if it's poor form to chime in 4 years late (lol), so forgive me if reviving this thread is annoying.
I have his & hers blankets & comforters on my personal bed. I don't know how other couples manage without this arrangement!
All of my guests' beds have a top sheet, inexpensive woven cotton blanket ($40 @Targé, still look great after 6 years!), and duvet with duvet cover OR a thin quilted bedspread, depending on the season. Each room also has a spare blanket. I like having the choice between a blanket & a duvet, and I think my guests do, too. 2 blankets fit into one load of laundry, so it's not too much extra work. We're in a hot & humid climate and duvets would be impractical when the temp is over 100F. If you feel duvet covers are a hassle, look for ones that have ties inside the corners to secure them to the duvet, or sew some ties into the corners if you're handy with a needle & thread.
Side note: no roses or lace to be found at our B&B. Most of my sheets have a paisley or geometric pattern, while the blankets, duvets, & spreads are solid colors (tho the quilting provides a subtle pattern). The way I look at it, I want my linens to look crisp & clean, and I want all of my guests to feel cozy. The guys I know do not like roses and lace, and my guests have commented that they like that the rooms don't "look like grandma's house".

Back