Duvet You Say????

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckeye

Reaction score
OK....into the Guest Room and off the booking engine/website headache.
We're needing to update our room appearance (20-rooms, all use same look). We've been admonished here that Hotel Impossible frowns on floral (even though our comforters are tasteful in color, not ugly prints).
So...if you are redesigning the look and want to head in the duvet direction, any vendor suggestions for 20-room$ ?

For that quantity of duvet cover I would look at Hotel Register. OR, Overstock.com. You can get non-down duvets that you can wash. Much better than trying to wash down duvets. Avoid dark colors as they show every stinkin' stain and will fade if in the sunlight. White ones can be bleached just like the sheets. Zippered bottoms will look better and be easier on your housekeepers than buttons.
Find a video that shows how to put the cover on quickly. (Essentially, you turn it inside out, grab the duvet at the corners and flip the cover right side out and shake.)
Because these will end up replacing your blankets, you'll want to change the covers after every guest. So, you need to calculate that into the budget.
Look at spending $50/each for the covers and another $50 for the duvet itself (if you get the non-down or down alternative). Another option if you want the down duvets is Cuddledown. Shop in their sale section.

For that quantity of duvet cover I would look at Hotel Register. OR, Overstock.com. You can get non-down duvets that you can wash. Much better than trying to wash down duvets. Avoid dark colors as they show every stinkin' stain and will fade if in the sunlight. White ones can be bleached just like the sheets. Zippered bottoms will look better and be easier on your housekeepers than buttons.
Find a video that shows how to put the cover on quickly. (Essentially, you turn it inside out, grab the duvet at the corners and flip the cover right side out and shake.)
Because these will end up replacing your blankets, you'll want to change the covers after every guest. So, you need to calculate that into the budget.
Look at spending $50/each for the covers and another $50 for the duvet itself (if you get the non-down or down alternative). Another option if you want the down duvets is Cuddledown. Shop in their sale section..
It's weird and I know it, but the end of the duvet, the button or zipper) is actually supposed to go under the flat sheet fold. Hidden in plain sight.
Silk duvets are hypoallergenic and last a long time, but I don't buy anything that I would make me cry to throw out. Guests can really give things a beating. If you do buy down, dryer balls or tennis balls are essential when drying them, to get the loft back.

Hotel Impossible recommends (and I agree completely) that everything on the bed should be white, so guests can easily see that it's clean (and so you can see too).
I'm using the Comfort Stripe Duvet Covers from InnStyle. They're white, but the faint stripe dresses them up a little vs. just solid white. Innkeeper pricing ranges $66 to $72, depending on bed size.

I would say buttons rather than poppers as with repeated washings and dryerings they simply melt.

Look at spending $50/each for the covers and another $50 for the duvet itself (if you get the non-down or down alternative). Another option if you want the down duvets is Cuddledown. Shop in their sale section..
It's weird and I know it, but the end of the duvet, the button or zipper) is actually supposed to go under the flat sheet fold. Hidden in plain sight.
Silk duvets are hypoallergenic and last a long time, but I don't buy anything that I would make me cry to throw out. Guests can really give things a beating. If you do buy down, dryer balls or tennis balls are essential when drying them, to get the loft back.
This explains SO much. We stayed at a place in NM and they kept flipping the duvet around so the buttons were poking me in the eye every night. The duvet was NOT tucked under the top fold of the sheet but just on top of the bed.
I put the zipper/buttons at the bottom of the bed, but this is on top of the sheet and blanket.
What's the reason for putting the open end at the top of the bed?

My duvet covers don't have buttons or poppers (whatever that is...snaps?) or zippers. Just a slit at the bottom (foot end) so you can stuff the duvet in like a letter in an envelope. I can't imagine putting the slit at the head end.
I put the top sheet on with enough extra at the head to fold about a foot of sheet back over the head end of the duvet. Even though I wash the duvet cover when I wash the sheets, people don't want the thing around their face because they can't feel SURE that I wash it, so the foot of sheet adds peace of mind for the guest.
My beds (below) have foot boards so the duvet cover gets tucked in down there, like in the photo, so the slit that exposes the duvet inside the cover is never seen.
RestorationHardwareStJamesBed.jpg

This explains SO much. We stayed at a place in NM and they kept flipping the duvet around so the buttons were poking me in the eye every night. The duvet was NOT tucked under the top fold of the sheet but just on top of the bed.
I put the zipper/buttons at the bottom of the bed, but this is on top of the sheet and blanket.
The basic reason.... If you do it right, folded under the top sheet, there is no trace of the end at all. The bottom looks perfect and the opening is hidden.
If you have a French fold and the buttons are hidden about 20 cm up on one side, you put that down at the bottom. But when the opening is at the end, you hide it, in plain sight at the top.
People forget that you are actually supposed to fold down part of the duvet with the top sheet. This prevents people from having to pull up the covers to cover themselves. There is enough fabric for them to cover their shoulders... since they are 3 dimensional. I lay the top sheet as high as possible, the cover over it, parallel to the top of the bed, but a few cm lower. Then pull back both to make the fold. Stops people from pulling from the bottom.

The basic reason.... If you do it right, folded under the top sheet, there is no trace of the end at all. The bottom looks perfect and the opening is hidden.
If you have a French fold and the buttons are hidden about 20 cm up on one side, you put that down at the bottom. But when the opening is at the end, you hide it, in plain sight at the top.
People forget that you are actually supposed to fold down part of the duvet with the top sheet. This prevents people from having to pull up the covers to cover themselves. There is enough fabric for them to cover their shoulders... since they are 3 dimensional. I lay the top sheet as high as possible, the cover over it, parallel to the top of the bed, but a few cm lower. Then pull back both to make the fold. Stops people from pulling from the bottom.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I lay the top sheet as high as possible, the cover over it, parallel to the top of the bed, but a few cm lower. Then pull back both to make the fold. Stops people from pulling from the bottom.
Yep, that's how I do it too, but my french fold is at the bottom. If I didn't have the footboard to hide it, I'd have to tuck it under the mattress or yes, put it at the top under the fold of the top sheet. The opening doesn't go all the way to the corner of the mattress, so the part that sticks out past the footboard has no opening.
Glad I don't have buttons. They would be one more thing to open and close back every time!

Oh boy....DUVET 101!!! Let the class begin. Everything WHITE you say? Gosh....we have NOTHING but CREAM colored sheets here....same with all the bathroom terry. What to do now...just put hundreds into new sheets and towels...

Oh boy....DUVET 101!!! Let the class begin. Everything WHITE you say? Gosh....we have NOTHING but CREAM colored sheets here....same with all the bathroom terry. What to do now...just put hundreds into new sheets and towels....
OK, cream. Just not red or navy or forest green. You could even do pastels if they go with the rooms. But you need something that will get washed in with the sheets. (To make is easy on you.)

Oh boy....DUVET 101!!! Let the class begin. Everything WHITE you say? Gosh....we have NOTHING but CREAM colored sheets here....same with all the bathroom terry. What to do now...just put hundreds into new sheets and towels....
hearthstoneinn said:
Oh boy....DUVET 101!!! Let the class begin. Everything WHITE you say? Gosh....we have NOTHING but CREAM colored sheets here....same with all the bathroom terry. What to do now...just put hundreds into new sheets and towels...
:welcome: ...to the greatest website on the Internet. Wish you'd found it long ago!
Also, all white lets you comfortably bleach when you must!

Eric Arthur Blair said:
I lay the top sheet as high as possible, the cover over it, parallel to the top of the bed, but a few cm lower. Then pull back both to make the fold. Stops people from pulling from the bottom.
Yep, that's how I do it too, but my french fold is at the bottom. If I didn't have the footboard to hide it, I'd have to tuck it under the mattress or yes, put it at the top under the fold of the top sheet. The opening doesn't go all the way to the corner of the mattress, so the part that sticks out past the footboard has no opening.
Glad I don't have buttons. They would be one more thing to open and close back every time!
I have one set of sheets from LE where the top sheet is VERY long. If I see that someone has pulled it out, I know it isn't because it came out from under the mattress. There is no way for it to come undone other than someone deliberately pulling on it. I LOVE those sheets.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
I have one set of sheets from LE where the top sheet is VERY long. If I see that someone has pulled it out, I know it isn't because it came out from under the mattress. There is no way for it to come undone other than someone deliberately pulling on it. I LOVE those sheets.
One of my friends commented that we must not want people falling out of bed, the sheets are tucked in so tightly. Then again, it sometimes looks like wild animals slept in the beds.
I had to get rid of my Laura Ashley sheet sets because the top sheet shrunk up so much it would only fit a double bed. I then just 'mismatched' the bottom sheets (which are really soft) with the top sheets from a different, non-shrinking, set. Same with the pillowcases that matched. Shrunk up so much they wouldn't cover the pillows.

I would love to use duvets at our place, but since DH is the laundryguy and bed maker, he's got the final say. He doesn't want the extra work/time it takes. So, his vote carries more weight than mine, understandably.
We just got back from a vacation and the only traditional hotel I booked us in is a Ham pton Inn. The reason I choose them is because they use white linens, which includes a white duvet. You can tell that it's clean, nobody has sat on it or left disgusting remains on it!
If you can manage using duvets, go for it!!

Hello
I am going to chime in too. I have used duvets for many a year now. I just LOVE them! .I have a queen size beds with 2 twin duvet on them. One for each person. I have three different weights of duvets. Depending on the seasons. My guest for the most part love them too. One the the biggest reasons is the women love the idea they don't have to fight holding on to their share of blankets. I use 2 sets of pillow case with a fitted sheet on the bottom an just duvet on top. My duvets have a zipper at the side so I can Easley slide the duvet inside the cover. I use duvet clips to keep the Corners from sliding down. I don't need to iron my covers but I do!I have three sets of covers for each room. Two patterned , one pastel color. I bought mine at Danidown in Vancouver BC. They wash up beautifully have kept the crispness wonderfully. After 8 years I retired them and bought new sets. We still use the old ones for our family guests. Yes you can send the covers out to a Landry service, I just wash my covers.But the duvet it self gets washed when needed. You can also buy duvet covers to protect the duvets it self. That way you never have to worry about bed bugs!!!!!!

Hello
I am going to chime in too. I have used duvets for many a year now. I just LOVE them! .I have a queen size beds with 2 twin duvet on them. One for each person. I have three different weights of duvets. Depending on the seasons. My guest for the most part love them too. One the the biggest reasons is the women love the idea they don't have to fight holding on to their share of blankets. I use 2 sets of pillow case with a fitted sheet on the bottom an just duvet on top. My duvets have a zipper at the side so I can Easley slide the duvet inside the cover. I use duvet clips to keep the Corners from sliding down. I don't need to iron my covers but I do!I have three sets of covers for each room. Two patterned , one pastel color. I bought mine at Danidown in Vancouver BC. They wash up beautifully have kept the crispness wonderfully. After 8 years I retired them and bought new sets. We still use the old ones for our family guests. Yes you can send the covers out to a Landry service, I just wash my covers.But the duvet it self gets washed when needed. You can also buy duvet covers to protect the duvets it self. That way you never have to worry about bed bugs!!!!!!.
His and her duvets. What an interesting idea. Do all of your guests figure out why there are two twins?

Hello
I am going to chime in too. I have used duvets for many a year now. I just LOVE them! .I have a queen size beds with 2 twin duvet on them. One for each person. I have three different weights of duvets. Depending on the seasons. My guest for the most part love them too. One the the biggest reasons is the women love the idea they don't have to fight holding on to their share of blankets. I use 2 sets of pillow case with a fitted sheet on the bottom an just duvet on top. My duvets have a zipper at the side so I can Easley slide the duvet inside the cover. I use duvet clips to keep the Corners from sliding down. I don't need to iron my covers but I do!I have three sets of covers for each room. Two patterned , one pastel color. I bought mine at Danidown in Vancouver BC. They wash up beautifully have kept the crispness wonderfully. After 8 years I retired them and bought new sets. We still use the old ones for our family guests. Yes you can send the covers out to a Landry service, I just wash my covers.But the duvet it self gets washed when needed. You can also buy duvet covers to protect the duvets it self. That way you never have to worry about bed bugs!!!!!!.
We sleep with 2 twin duvets/covered on our queen bed. I love it! I got so tired of waking up in the middle of the night with my arse out in the open and I was freezing. I'm married to a bed hog.
It's a great compromise. We originally experienced the two duvet system when traveling in Europe many years ago and I knew at that instant that I was going to do it at home!

Seems like the 2 duvets would be a problem, though, for someone sleeping alone and wanting the run of the whole bed. But for couples, a great idea!

Back